Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good read up on here about the 'Alternator Workshop' fault on the Mk4, so I've ordered a new alternator, but I'm a bit concerened about a few things that have happened since the light came on.

Here's my scenario - I was driving along when the light and warning buzzer came on, pulled over and inspected the belt, fine. So I carried on and then the dash lights and radio went off and then the sign for the boot being open lit up, albeit very dim, and then the airbag light came on - WTF, Gremlins I tell ya!

I can only assume that because the airbag requires a voltage to work and the alternator isn't providing the required amount thats why it came on, but the dash and radio, thats a new one on me.

L

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
No they aren't really associated directly and I've never known charging system faults to lighht up airbag warning lights.Probably a coincedance and the only way to know is to use an OBD code reader to switch the light off and then see if it comes back.

Chris.

·
Registered
123 Posts
These modern cars are a pain. mrs has a 53 plate vectra and the alternator went on that last week, killed everything, powersteering, heater, dash lights going skitso. new alternator and problem sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts