Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering what people have got in the way of mileage on there v6`s, how many miles can been expected from these engines before they R.I.P.... [cry] anyone know of any amazing mileage stories with these engines.[:D]

·
Registered
180 Posts
mines got 86k, no worries apart from usual, coilpacks fans, sounds just as good as when i got it on 32k ish

i had an old mk3 vr6 when i got rid (px for the 4mo) it has 145k, i thrashed it every day, and just coil pack went on that, v6 vw engine is very strong in my opinion

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any one else with a high milage V6. I only ask as a mate of mine is after a 4.0 V8 Lexus soarer, and apparently there a 2 in the States that have covered 1,000,000 miles [:|] Yes I did say 1 million miles.... Just like to hear from anyone with a high mileage V6. golf

·
Registered
682 Posts
It would appear that mine is barely run in with only 31k on it then? Would be interesting to see what the highest mileage V6 weve got on the forum has done. Cheers,Paul.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Currently on 66k with working fans and no coilpack issues (touches wood).  TBH if you look after these things there is no reason you cannot see hundreds of thousands of miles.  Only things to watch engine wise I suppose are chains and tensioners.  The 2.8 doesnt suffer as bad as the 2.9 for cyl 1 and 6 heat probelms. 

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im looking for high milages here...looks like luke9119 is winning so far, but not sure if you meant you had your sump replaced at 80k, why the whole engine??? not sure if this can count....was looking for original engine.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
on the trader i can see them up to 110k on the clocks but nothing beyond that as of yet.. but the people who will have driven these cars for miles on end must have deep pockets to keep on filling them up me thinks eh..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on the trader i can see them up to 110k on the clocks but nothing beyond that as of yet.. but the people who will have driven these cars for miles on end must have deep pockets to keep on filling them up me thinks eh..

Sat [y]
Good point, maybe by 100k these cars have ruined the average man/woman. [cry]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine is on 76k at the moment and rising by 2k per month.

For sale now as I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a diesel.

Over on VW Vortex they've got ones with 150k+

·
Registered
220 Posts
Im looking for high milages here...looks like luke9119 is winning so far, but not sure if you meant you had your sump replaced at 80k, why the whole engine??? not sure if this can count....was looking for original engine.
what do i get if i the winner hehe[:p]

had full new engin well bottom end have a bill for £6328.83 [:O]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what do i get if i the winner hehe[:p]

had full new engin well bottom end have a bill for £6328.83 [:O]
You get a mileage correction kit...[:D]

Seriously thou over £6K repair bill.... did you smash the crankshaft and block? what did you hit?

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah i even went 2 get the bill out so i could wright the full price. oh yeah that was done at a stealers

hit a badger an carry on driveing i no mad dont tell me

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
89k on mine... what do i win... thaere was one near mine 145k and that was 3 years ago and it was only 3/4 years old

if
there anything like vr6's they will easy do 165k no problem with
correct servicing, the engine is very understressed... the main problem
is keeping ontop of suspension wear and tear , it is the weakspot of
all mk4 golfs

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Ok here goes

98896 MILES cant say much only done 13000 miles in three months since i did the conversion and BOY were they fun [:D]

What price are the coil packs as i think it is playing up????????

what are the signs of them going?

it seems to miss at low revs and when driving at normal speed and then sticking you boot down it seems to not want to go and the BANG!, it takes off like a cat with a dog up it´s butt and has done this for some time now.

any clues?

Andy

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i even went 2 get the bill out so i could wright the full price. oh yeah that was done at a stealers

A Badger caused over 6K of damage???? was it in a tank [:D]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok here goes

98896 MILES cant say much only done 13000 miles in three months since i did the conversion and BOY were they fun [:D]

What price are the coil packs as i think it is playing up????????

what are the signs of them going?

it seems to miss at low revs and when driving at normal speed and then sticking you boot down it seems to not want to go and the BANG!, it takes off like a cat with a dog up it´s butt and has done this for some time now.

any clues?

Andy
Does sound like coils packs....does yours have the multipack or single pack type of coils, Mine had the multi pack which cost me £170ish from euro car parts, easily fitted. Get it scanned with vagcom 1st to confirm thats it is the coils that are at fault.

·
Registered
220 Posts

A Badger caused over 6K of damage???? was it in a tank [:D]
have you seen how big them things are hehe[:p] well hit it head on done the front bumper an that sump but carry on driveing witch wasnt a good idea but we live an learn

1 - 20 of 42 Posts