Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post; so go easy! I have a 1994 Golf VR6 I have owned for the past nine years and it's time for a change. I thought it would be easy... wrong. So I thought I'd ask you guys for advice.

what's best, the V6 4 Motion the 180 BHP GTI or should I stump up for the new GTI ( Last resort as I think the other two could offer better real world value) All comments welcome, that are sensible.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

If it was my hard earned cash, the MK5 GTI would win.

Saying that I saw one in Gilbert Lawton in Altrincham today priced at ?26K[:O] and thats a lot of cash

My 2p worth

Carl

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought my wife a V6 4 motion 1 & 1/2 years ago. She wanted a golf, which left me to choose the engine!! If you've already got a VR6 & like it, then buy a 4 motion. They're great cars & subtle too. Don't bother with the other two, they're front wheel drives with a turbo.....

I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, I am trying to get the keys off her permanently, but she won't swap.

Good luck, (don't forget to swap the wood interior for R32 aluminium though - looks much better).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm with cookie on that one MKV in black sweeeet.

not sure about dismissing the fwd turbo cars. They are far easier to tune and offer a better MPG.

when the boost kicks in on a APR / Revo or simlar 1.8T you carnt help but grin.

depends on how much ??? you want to spend

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you've already got a VR6 & like it, then buy a 4 motion. They're great cars & subtle too. Don't bother with the other two, they're front wheel drives with a turbo.....
And quicker than a 4Mo when remapped!
TBH there won't be much at all in them performance wise when stock.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome mate

In december i went from a 1996 VR6 to a tdi anniversary. I would go out and drive them all and see which one you prefere.

I do miss the engine note of the VR so would probably go V6 then the mk5 gti then the mk4 gti

Enjoy choosing mate

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeh ,but where would you be if you floored a chipped FWD on a roundabout or on a damp road. Second.

I can put up with all the tailgating, lightweight GTI, G60's,etc but they have to play catch up in the wet and on the twisties[:D]

Try drifting a 4wd round a round about. [Y]

Don't think i could ever face 2wd again.

But its horses for courses

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yeh ,but where would you be if you floored a chipped FWD on a roundabout or on a damp road. Second.
From a standing start or from a slow speed? Sure but then I'd soon catch up and pass........
Twisties? A well sorted 1.8T would again be more than equal.

Don't dismiss a 180bhp 1.8T is all im saying as with the right modifications it can be more than a handful for many 'superior' cars.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Don't want to start an arguement but the point being that in adverse conditions(quite common in this country) the extra grip is very handy indeed in putting initial distance between yourself and a 2wd car.Leaving them with the hard work to do.

However, if a lightly modded v6(ie. chip,zorst ,intake etc)aint enough then pay a visit to HPA who can turbo it for you.

410-470Bhp should be sufficient[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
However, if a lightly modded v6(ie. chip,zorst ,intake etc)aint enough then pay a visit to HPA who can turbo it for you.

410-470Bhp should be sufficient[:D][:D][:D]
Now you're talking!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
If you have the cash available for a MK5 GTI, what about the best VW Golf of the lot and stump up for the .:R32. That is what I would do if

A) I had the spare cash

B) Thought I could afford to run a V6 beast.

However, since you never mentioned the .:R, my money would go on the V6 4Mo, over the GTI in standard form any day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know its a bit more money, though the second hand ones are coming down a bit now, but the Mk5 gti is a completely different car. As a drivers car it is so much more a finished project than the Mk4.

It drives out of the box better than most peoples modified ones on here, its got a gorgeous engine, nice power and gorgeous sounding, handles really well (the MkIV cant even compare here, its in a different league) and is in my opinion nicer inside too, more modern looking, the MKIVwas built in 98 and hasnt changed since remember.......

Iv driven the fast diesel golfs and the 1.8t aswell as a recent drive in a mkV gti and the only one that really made me smile was the MKV.

Yes you can improve the MKIV but if your going to say that then cost aside why not buy a car that is arguably as good as the improved MKIV in the first place and then improve it some more......?

If you are going to go for the MKIV in my opinion it is hands down the 4motion, nice sounding engine, good power (yes not very modifiable on a budget, but in my opinion I would rather have it) and the advantage of the 4wd......

So MKV Gti

then MKIV 4motion

Then MKIV Gti

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phew! a lot to take in. However, it seems it really is about personal preference... as always. I must admit the MKV does seem to be the best of the lot, but it's justifying the price difference, tempting though.

I have seen them at good internet prices and even on their finance deals still cheaper than VW ( not hard). I have always liked big engines though and the 4 mo keeps nagging. I have a TR7 V8 as well so I am well used to power and torque something I know all three posses in varying degrees.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You sure you dont want to get yourself a mk4 R32 rather than the 4motion?

Out of the lot, I'd rather spend that bit more than a 4motion an get a R32, but thats me...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
To be honest mate, there is a heck of a difference in price between a new MK5 GTi and a V6 4Motion and a 180 GTi. You could have both the V6 4 Motion and 180GTi for the price of a MK5 GTi.

You need to decide how much you want to spend. On a ?10k budget for a hot hatch, my money would go on a Seat Leon Cupra R before both a 1.8T Golf or V6 4Motion. You have a better sorted chassis on the Cupra R than the Golf and 225bhp against the Golf 1.8T 180bhp and V6's 200bhp.

If you are hell bent on a Golf, my money would go on a 1.8T for the following reasons;

1) It has pretty much the same performance out the box

2) Better on fuel

3) Less to go wrong

4) Cheaper to maintain

5) Less money to tune it - The idea of Turbo Charging a V6 as above would cost a lot of dosh whereas a good remap on a 1.8T will see 210bhp and 220ft/lbs of torque for only a few hundred ??'s. This with the lighter weight makes a faster car.

6) Easier to sell on - A thirsty gas guzzler will be harder to shift as it gets older than a GTi

I would choose the V6 only for noise and traction. Do not believe for a second that a 4wd car has better handling - Traction and handling are two different things. For sure a V6 would be better off the line or a roundabout in the wet, but once 3rd has been s elected on a mapped 1.8T, bye bye 4 Mo.

If I was to spend ?20k on a hot hatch it would go on a Ford Focus ST3. It has five cylinders so sounds sweet, has more power and is faster and has better handling than the Golf and is still cheaper while being better equipped. I would not dismiss it for depreciation reasons either. Price an ST170 against an equivalent aged GTi 180 Golf against there new prices to see that the Focus retains a very similar % value of its original price as the Golf. Don't get me wrong the new GTI is very, very nice, but the ST would be a good cross between a turbo charged 4 cylinder and the grunt and note of a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is all about personal choice; You have owned a VR6 for nine years, which shows you like the subtle looks & sound. Which means you don't want an R32, because for all it plus points over the V6, it still looks like it's been through Halfords backwards.

You have a V8 for the weekends, which shows you like big engines. I have a TVR Griffith for weekends & drive a V8 BMW everyday (11 mpg - I really should get rid), and although I can appreciate the tuneability of the 1.8 & 2.0 Turbo; it's not a V6 / V8 engine. You don't seem to me as the kind of person that wants to highly tune a car. Therefore, as per my original post; you will only be happy with the V6.

Enjoy.................Now what colour to choose!!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Which means you don't want an R32, because for all it plus points over the V6, it still looks like it's been through Halfords backwards.
[:O][:O][:O][:O][:O][:O][:O][:p]

I can't believe you said that. Leave the forum at once !!!![;)]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im sorry but I have to agree its not the car that is top of my wish list....but then I very much doubt mine is to alot of peoples either..... we all have individual tastes...... mine is all about subtle but fast, you give all the boy racers in there rubbish cars a nice shock that way.... [:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, I'd like to say that I really like the R32 concept. The added equipment over the V6 (under the skin) makes the car sportier, but I personally cannot get over that front bumper, I mean come on! Even VW admitted they got the styling wrong, so why can't everyone else??

(To be honest I thought more people would object to my last post!!!)[:D]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haha I would leave it that you have got your point across and that some of us agree with you, however I think you are in danger of stiring up the people who have differing views (very justified of course), they are bound to take the bate sooner or later!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts