Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

V5 / V6 4Motion Bora....Opinions Please

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  vee6 4motion 
#1 ·
Nooooo...not for me!!! LOL! [;)]

I've got a mate who's looking at possibly purchasing a Bora V5 or V6 4Motion.....anything he needs to look out for other than the obvious cambelts, SH blah blah - and what are people views on these cars? [:)]

Thanks guys [:)]

#2 ·
Nooooo...not for me!!! LOL! [;)]

anything he needs to look out for other than the obvious cambelts, [:)]

Thanks guys [:)]
Or not so obvious, the V5's don't have cambelts [:D] They are chain driven as per the V6.

Excellent engine driver wise - more crusier based than the 20vT. But at least it sounds like an engine [;)] (that'll get 'em going)and an amazing sound at that. Unfortunately, tuning isn't great. If he's getting one, make sure its the 170bhp as its a much better starting point if he is gonna tune it. It has 10 more valves (2 extra per cylinder) although it does have coilpacks so missfires are likely from failing coil packs.
170bhp is 2001 (x reg) on.
The fuel economy is ok, my 150bhp gets 27-30mpg per tank (with fat tyres, about 30mpg on average with std bbs') but its short journeys really. 35-37 is do-able on the m-way.
Torque is great, the pull from 3500rpm up is pretty stunning, especially after dropping gears.

Anything else you want to know just ask [:)]

#3 ·
I'm looking at getting a v5 too - the 150hp is hell of lot cheaper to ensure than the 170 - not sure why as they are the same insurance group!? Anything on the 150 that need to look for in particular. Do they all come with the old boy wood interior? Does the 150 have the coilpacks as well - I've been warned about them on the v5's.

Cheers

Tom

#7 ·
V6 4-mo. Definately. V5 is nice and a lot better than my 2.0 but given the choice I'd have a V6 4-mo.

CarGiant in London have a nice s election at the moment with reasonable mileage as well. They also have a Bora version as well, which is tempting me sooooooo much. Around about 8K for a 02 plate with under 40k on the clocks!! Its here http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=264152

GWT though.

They also have a 2wd V6 as well.

Might be away to come but for 8k they should be able to afford a train ticket (even at the new prices lol). Friends of mine have brought a lot of cars from there and speak very highly of them. The cars have always been very good.

#8 ·
V6 4-mo. Definately. V5 is nice and a lot better than my 2.0 but given the choice I'd have a V6 4-mo.

CarGiant in London have a nice s election at the moment with reasonable mileage as well. They also have a Bora version as well, which is tempting me sooooooo much. Around about 8K for a 02 plate with under 40k on the clocks!! Its here http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=264152

GWD though.

Might be away to come but for 8k they should be able to afford a train ticket (even at the new prices lol). Friends of mine have brought a lot of cars from there and speak very highly of them. The cars have always been very good.
Yep, i agree. V6 is definately the better choice if you can afford it. 4wheel drive means no traction issues no matter how much power you can put through it. Economy is worse though as its a bigger engine and a heavier car due to the 4motion.

#9 ·
No they don't! 2WD MKIV V6 Doesn't exist...4Motion only.

Yep, i agree. V6 is definately the better choice
if you can afford it. 4wheel drive means no traction issues no matter
how much power you can put through it. Economy is worse though as its a
bigger engine and a heavier car due to the 4motion.
Not that much heavier. I found my V6 to give similar MPG to a V5 150 i
drove for a few days - but its true, the economy is merely
average on the VR6 compared to 6 cylinder engines from other
manufacturers. I used to get 17-22MPG around town, and 25-28MPG on the
motorway.

V6 4Motion is my personal favourite - as blue says, traction is
fantastic, smooth with grunt and the engine note one of the best at any
price. BUT the V5 is a bargain due to
fairly steep depreciation compared with other MKIVs. Best answer is to
try both, compare and see what you think!

#11 ·
Thats definetly a V5, they've got it wrong....LeCastellets instead of
Brands Hatch alloys, no 4Motion valances or exhausts, and I think thats
V5 170
badging...THIS
ONE
looks good, I sold my 02 with 33k on it (black/black leather
Recaros/18"s) for alot more than that about four months ago. No Recaros and non OEM wheels but nice.

I've just realised the man is talking Bora V6s and not Golfs, so I can contribute much more to the conversation! [:)]

You can see my old one here, and I
still miss it because for the money it was brilliant. I had a Bora 1.6
but wanted to upgrade, so I test drove a V5 150BHP and liked it. But
there was a V6 next to it and I thought for a laugh I'd take it for a
spin, despite it being twice the price. The minute I fired it up I had
too have it - very different animal IMO, throaty and more urgency to it
(and of course quicker). The 4WD is also a revelation compared to a
normal FWD and makes the power ridiculously useable.

As Andy says, check the fans and also coil packs. You want a car that
has at least one of Leather Recaros (not just leather), Xenons or
Satnav IMO - virtually everything else was standard, so these are
important. The first thing I would do is put some 18"s on with good tyres (F1s,
MPS etc) - it totally transformed the handling on mine and made it look
much better.

Don't pay list for a Bora V6, they are hard to sell
(people are scared off by the fact its not a Golf and has a big
engine), so always beat them down. I got about 20% off. Remember though
that come resale time, its not in Glasses guide and every dealer I
twent to tried to offer me V5 values for it - a car you have to sell
privately to someone who appreciates it.

[:)]

#13 ·
Thats definetly a V5, they've got it wrong....LeCastellets instead of Brands Hatch alloys, no 4Motion valances or exhausts, and I think thats V5 170 badging...THIS ONE looks good, I sold my 02 with 33k on it (black/black leather Recaros/18"s) for alot more than that about four months ago. No Recaros and non OEM wheels but nice.

I've just realised the man is talking Bora V6s and not Golfs, so I can contribute much more to the conversation! [:)]

[:)]
That was the first one I posted and it does look good nice spec - very tempted myself in fact. Car Giant don't discount very much. There prices are already very low (<?8k for a loaded 02 top of the range Bora with <40k on the clock, as you said yours went for a lot more) You can ask for a discount. They say that's the price take it or leave it. They make money on high turnover of cars (and car credit)rather than higher margines on what they sell.

#15 ·
That was the first one I posted and it does look good nice
spec - very tempted myself in fact. Car Giant don't discount
very much. There prices are already very low (<?8k for a
loaded 02 top of the range Bora with <40k on the clock, as you
said yours went for a lot more) You can ask for a discount.
They say that's the price take it or leave it. They make money on
high turnover of cars (and car credit)rather than higher margines on
what they sell.
I agree, but as you say at ?7700 I think you would be very happy with that. Bora V6: bargains [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.