Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

Just bought a Golf V5, 5 door, X reg and it's sitting too high on the suspension, to be honest it looks like it's on stilts, I might take the VW badge off and stick Landrover on it, it's that bad.

I've stuck my head underneath and the springs are correctly seated, they look original VW, black powder coated and the dampers have the original VW sticker on them so I know they not aftermarket.

I have seen other MK4 Golfs parked at the roadside and they look lower, so I want to know how high my car should sit.

Could fellow owners measure the ride height, I need middle of the centre cap to wheel arch lip, post them up and I can compare what I got.

Dub

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i think standard golfs measure 370mm from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

set of lowering springs will sort it out [Y]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went out with the torch and tape measure to check

I have

Front 375-380mm

Rear 400mm

So it seems that the back is sitting roughly 30mm higher then it should.

Looking to go for a mild drop, was thinking along the lines of Eibach or Koni but might do the dampers as well whilst I am at it.

Dub

·
Registered
50 Posts
my did sit 375mm front and 380mm rear before putting on lowering springs, the height of your rear doesn't sound right to me! thats sitting higher than it should be!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything is in the boot, spare wheel, jack, half tank of fuel

I'm wondering what is making it sit higher. I'll jack it up tomororw after work and see what's going on underneath

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
depends on wheather is a 150 or a 170, the 170 should sit 10-15mm lower than a 150 as standard
never knew that, my 170 was lowered before i got it. [au]

is it possible the car had new springs just before he bought the car and is yet to settle fully? might be worth looking through the reciepts. [*-)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts