Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone out there tuned a 2.3lt V5 (10 valve) engine, remap, exhausts,cams etc? What power gains are possible?

Doug

·
Registered
159 Posts
i'm in same boat. be interesting to watch this thread.

have only got ABD induction kit fitted. sounds great but hard to tell if gained any power. hoping to fit L.A.N. pipe next to get filter down in bumper to get a better supply of cold air.

Posted Image

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I knew there were people out there! lol

I have a spare 10V head so am going to get that 'fettled with' I've heard of a process called Extrude honing where they push abrasive gunge back and forth through the intake and exhaust tubes leading to the valves. Plus the usual porting and polishing. Trouble is Its all loads of money so cant do it just at the moment.

Also going to try getting the standard cams 're-profiled' I've de catted mine (it gone in a J reg Corrado so legally I can get away without having one. I've also fitting a Jetex cone filter - know what you mean about the sound, awsome!

PLan is one this is done I'll have the whole lot remapped by AMD to take advantage of the extra goodies and head tuning. The aim is to get over the 200 BHP mark. after all 150BHP from 2.3 Lt is a little poor, come one VW, your german friends at BMW get that magic 100 Per litre!

If I manange all this would anyone be interested in buy a kit?? what sort of cash would you be willing to pay for that power increase? I'll look in to see if its viable.

Doug

·
Registered
159 Posts
always interested in more power. originally was looking into having R32 engine mated to VR6 box and dropped in but cost of damaged R32s still ludicrously high.(not financially viable).

new proposed route will be L.A.N.pipe Milltek exhaust and chipping.in desperation may try a discrete nitrous installation.

will keep my eye on this see if any one comes up with good ideas.

don't want to go down the high lift camshaftetc route.been there before and boras wouldn't be right having to be revved to keep it in the power band.

could port and polish head and blue print engine but big expense for small gain.[:(]

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have been looking at getting that ABD intake kit myself, how much was it and did you have any problems with it?

How come the mount is blue and not the usual red type?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Turbocharging is the only way to gain big BHP on a V5.

I have a contact in Netherlands who showed me 'his' turbo V5 conversion.

Looked great - was inside an exhibition hall, so couldnt start it tho. It was a single turbo application - power was well over 200bhp.

He will look into RHD applications - should there be enough interest - but he is not sure there are that many people out there who want to modify the V5!

Could the V5 must be a bigger seller over there..?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote: posted by rga100 on 30/12/2004 20:10:20

Turbocharging is the only way to gain big BHP on a V5.

I have a contact in Netherlands who showed me 'his' turbo V5 conversion.

Looked great - was inside an exhibition hall, so couldnt start it tho. It was a single turbo application - power was well over 200bhp.

He will look into RHD applications - should there be enough interest - but he is not sure there are that many people out there who want to modify the V5!

Could the V5 must be a bigger seller over there..?

hello

its my car in the pictures .

its a12 sec car with 4.8sec 0-100kmh and 0-200 in 15.5sec

the power is well over 200bhp .

with only 1bar boost its way past 300bhp and with big turbo it will be close to 400bhp and its the best way to tune the v5 .

I started of by using a setup with custom cams ,chip,supersprint exhaust and modified airbox and stock paperfilter .

open air filter is the worst mod on a v5 .

the stock box will easy support 300bhp +

·
Registered
16 Posts
My V5 10 valve has had an AMD remap, miltek cat to back and serviced with new plugs feul filter ect ect. It pushes out around 170 bhp so not massive or particularly exciting. It sounds great and does go reasonably OK. I would be interested to hear of any other worthy mods that wont cost a furtune. I totally failed to even remotely keep up with a MK5 GT TDI on a motorway slip road in it so it needs a bit more power.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
V5 Turbo welcome to the forum, love your car. Is your turbo set up custom? Would it suit RHD applications? What issues are you aware of for forced induction on the V5 and V6? Was yours 150 or 170 as stock?

Hope you don't mind me joining the thread lads [;)]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would like to add the Mikedav's request, as I have now come to the end of my V5 modding, the only thing left to do is DE-CAT and maybe a NOS or Turbo conversion.

Any chance V5 Turbo you could start a thread on what you have done and how easy it would be to do again on the V5 engine ?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by jrdv5 on 09/01/2005 14:37:33

Hi. RF Steel, Where are so far in terms of modds on your V5?

JD

I have so far done the following mechincally to the engine;

• AmD Remap
  • Milltek CAT Back exhaust
  • Custom Cold Air feed

I would like to increase by current bHp from 191 to around the 220 mark if possible, though with out doing anything to the engine internals.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mikedav, his looks like a 150 v5 due to the HT leads which were replaced with coil packs on the 170.

i'm really impressed by those figures, is your car a 4motion?

what kind of problems are you guys anticipating with the RHD /LHD issue? the engine layout is the same, so i guess its just the power steering pump that could get in the way?

·
Registered
159 Posts
thats the 150 bhp version,same as mine(minus turbo). see it has standard air intake too.(and crappy vecro bag over the battery.).

WE NEED MORE DETAILS [:D]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 08/01/2005 22:54:53

V5 Turbo welcome to the forum, love your car. Is your turbo set up custom? Would it suit RHD applications? What issues are you aware of for forced induction on the V5 and V6? Was yours 150 or 170 as stock?

Hope you don't mind me joining the thread lads [;)]

i have mad 3 setups for v5 150bhp

first was

1:Superchip camchip 7100rpm from mikael [email protected] superchip

2:Custom made cams 260/10.8

3:Supersprint catback system (best in mytest of 5 systems)

4:Velocity stack in stock airbox with stock airfilter

5:4bar fpr

aprox 185hp

second setup

custom turbo setup

with stock intake/locked manifold switch with stock airboxand stock filter[:D]

third setup

full race turbo manifold,short runnerintake with velocity stacks,3.5inch exhaust,HKS ,big ass turbo [}:)]

limit for first turbo setup was aproxtime 12.6/180kmh quartermile

with the new setup 11.9 will be reachable

things not to f*** up on N/A v5

1:dont remove the airbox

2:dont go bigger then 2.25inch system

if you have questions

email me

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
wow [:D] nice figures. certainly gives me somewhere to aim! i'll fire off an email to you later with some quick questions.

rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts