Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, with the petrol prices being the lowest they've been for a while [:D] i decided to fill the 1.8T up with a tank of V-Power last night, i think the car seemed to be running better, but is it just Psycological? What are peoples thoughts on 'the fuel developed with Ferrari'?

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
730 Posts
You'll need a to fill up with a few tankfulls before engine would benefit from this fuel, if any

I 've tried em all (except that stuff that costs £2.40) and can honestly say that i never noticed any real improvement in performance

So these days i stick to good ole unleaded.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think it's all in the mind to be honest. Although when I fill up BP Ultimate I get a few extra miles out of the tank. But it doesn't really warrant the higher price.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
the R32 mkiv has knock sensors, perhaps the 1.8T doesn't. All FSi engines have knock sensors too. Evo did a test with a Golf Gti mkV and it made a massive difference on that.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
1.8Ts do have knock sensors(im sure its one on each cylinder)....to be honest any turbod car is gonna be at risk without them.

Your gonna notice the difference in fuel more when running higer boost levels than stock on a 1.8T.

i put half a tank of V-Power in mine a week ago.Ran it right down and put another half tank of normal

unleaded in.Could feel the difference in not so much of a kick when the turbo cuts in.After about 10 miles the car

seemed to have more of a kick but still not as forceful.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
1.8Ts do have knock sensors(im sure its one on each cylinder)....to be honest any turbod car is gonna be at risk without them.

Your gonna notice the difference in fuel more when running higer boost levels than stock on a 1.8T.

i put half a tank of V-Power in mine a week ago.Ran it right down and put another half tank of normal

unleaded in.Could feel the difference in not so much of a kick when the turbo cuts in.After about 10 miles the car

seemed to have more of a kick but still not as forceful.
Ok thanks for that. When is Shell diesel V power coming over?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Don't all modern fuel injected engines have knock sensors?

My mate recently bought a 52-plate A4 Avant 1.8T and when we go to the petrol station he reaches for the normal unleaded pump and I nag him to use V-Power, yet he just points out the fuel flap says 91-95 RON [:S]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

My mate recently bought a 52-plate A4 Avant 1.8T and when we go to the petrol station he reaches for the normal unleaded pump and I nag him to use V-Power, yet he just points out the fuel flap says 91-95 RON [:S]
No as far as I know. I know that most Japanese cars do, my mum's Honda Jazz says '98 or super minimum' on the fuel filler, I know for sure it has knock sensors.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
In my experience you will notice the difference in fuel grade more when you drop from the high to the lower grade.
Because it takes a while for the ecu to adapt to the higher grade and it does it gradually you may not notice the
difference immediately.You throw chep 95ron in and it pulls the timing right back then slowley adjusts bit by bit again.
This is my take on why my car felt so much slower when i put in normal 95 ron then started to feel more powerful as the
ecu readjusted itself.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts

No as far as I know. I know that most Japanese cars do, my mum's Honda Jazz says '98 or super minimum' on the fuel filler, I know for sure it has knock sensors.
An electronically regulated fuel injection system without knock sensors sounds like a recipe for catastrophe to me [:S]

I've been running my car on Optimax and now V-Power for probably over three years now, not put anything else in. Maybe I ought to drop back to lower grade stuff for a while just to see the difference.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

An electronically regulated fuel injection system without knock sensors sounds like a recipe for catastrophe to me [:S]

I've been running my car on Optimax and now V-Power for probably over three years now, not put anything else in. Maybe I ought to drop back to lower grade stuff for a while just to see the difference.
Sorry, I didn't make my point very well. What I was trying to say was that most engines will have a small benefit. But to get the maximum from the higher octance you need knock sensors to advance the timing and get more compression. But AFAIK you don't need knock sensors for fuel injection - in that case the engine has a fixed octane it can benifit from.

Most high spec engines will have knock sensors to benefit from the higher octane (scooby's, 2.0T, R32, V-tecs). But there are a few 'normal' cars too VAG FSi, Honda Jazz 1.4 and most Jap cars are they run 100 ron in Japan.

I agree with the above post of engines gradually learning as I know someone with a scooby who disconnected the battery so the ecu would forget he was on 95, to get immediate benifit

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sorry, I didn't make my point very well. What I was trying to say was that most engines will have a small benefit. But to get the maximum from the higher octance you need knock sensors to advance the timing and get more compression. But AFAIK you don't need knock sensors for fuel injection - in that case the engine has a fixed octane it can benifit from.
Hmm, OK. I look at it from the point of view that knock sensors detect the fuel igniting before it should and therefore retard the timing. What I do know is that on the 1.6 16V with its 11.5:1 compression, higher octane really runs smoother.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wouldn't you notice it more on larger engines and turbo charged engines?

I agree with the ECU learning thing too!

Wasn't there a test on TV where they put a scooby and a normal car on a rolling road before and after fuels and the scooby gained 5bhp when using ultimate? I swear I heard on of my mates telling me this a year or so ago anyway lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts