Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Using Midline Computer

8K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  marvin 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am struggling to work out what I can actually do with my midline computer, All it says is the time at the top and the trip and total millage below that? I was under the impression I could change it to say other stuff? Any suggestions?

Thanks

#3 ·
Hi,

I am struggling to work out what I can actually do with my midline computer, All it says is the time at the top and the trip and total millage below that? I was under the impression I could change it to say other stuff? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hi Spanners, Are you sure you have a midline computer? There should be more on the screen, for any setting, than you are describing.

Edit: What car do you have?

#7 ·
Golf V SE specification
(in addition to the Standard Specification)

12V socket in luggage compartment
Additional storage compartment in the roof console
Alarm with interior protection
Alloy wheels, four 6 1/2J x 15 "Misano" with 195/65 R15 tyres and anti-theft wheel bolts
Bag hooks in luggage compartment, x 2
Cruise Control
Dusk sensor, automatic driving lights
Electric windows, rear (5 door only)
Front comfort seats with height and lumbar adjustment

Front footwell illumination
Front seat back storage pockets
Load-through provision
Multifunction computer (Midline)
Radio/CD player with 8 speakers
Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
Reading lights, chrome surrounds, independent front and rear
Two-tone horn
Upholstery - 'Opera' loop-velour
Vanity mirrors - illuminated
Spec for your SE will have a Midline.............Windscreen wiper and washer lever Rocker switch for Computer...

#9 ·
The SE didn't have a trip computer as standard until about half way through 2004. When I got one of the first 2005 model year SE's in June 2004 it didn't have a trip computer. Marvin got his 2005 model year car later in the year and it did then have a mid-line computer as standard.

Out of interest, all 2005 model year Mk Vs had a slightly modified MFD over the 2004 year model. The 2004 MFD had the time of day in the centre at the top of the MFD. The top line of the 2005 MFD shared the date of time with the exterior temperature readout.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

#12 ·
The SE didn't have a trip computer as standard until about half way through 2004. When I got one of the first 2005 model year SE's in June 2004 it didn't have a trip computer. Marvin got his 2005 model year car later in the year and it did then have a mid-line computer as standard.

http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk/vwgolfmk5.htm
That's right Stuart. I remember now, I had to pay for the computer as an option.

I think what happened was that some equipment (auto-lights, wipers, mirror) was dropped and the computer added. Then I think then went back again and added all - weird!

#13 ·
If you don't have the exterior temperature readout on the MFD you have a 2004 model Mk V. If it has an 05 registration plate it must have been sat around for nearly a year before registration. I'm also guessing it doesn't have the chrome glovebox latch, chrome handbrake button or chrome ring around the gear lever? Check out http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5_secrets.php#2005diffs more details and photos of the changes.

My 2005 model Mk V does have the exterior temperature readout, but has an 04 registration plate because it was registered in June 2004.

Still a good car whatever model it is anyway :)

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

#14 ·
Stuart,

Mine looks the same as yours, so by that reckoning my car is a late 04 model but was probably registered in early 05, to get the 05 plate. I think I've got a 2004 MFD.

Sound plausable?
You could check your VIN number from outside the front screen to confirm, it should have in the sequence ....1KZ4......if 2004 model or ....1KZ5......if 2005 model.

#15 ·
Looks like you don't have a computer. VW did some crazy things with the spec of the SE car for a wee while.

Marvin can probably explain it.
Now, now. Don't get me started!!

My car, an SE 1.6FSI has a Midline? multifuctional computer which just occupies the lower half of the rectangular window between the Rev counter and Speedometer. My right hand indicator stalk has a rocker switch which can scroll through Miles covered on current journey (event), Average mpg, Miles to empty tank, Instant mpg (bloody useless), Time of current journey, Speed warning (if set). I think that's just about it and I may have the order incorrect.

On memory 1, this information is kept for a period of 2 hours after turning off the ignition although the readings are kept and go into memory 2 to accumulate until their appropriate maxima are reached (before zeroing) - can't remember what the parameters are - see Manual.

You can switch between the two memories by using the small press button just under the end of the stalk. This can also be used to reset either memory instantly by holding the button for 2 seconds or more.

If you don't have a rocker switch on the end of your indicator stalk then I would assume that you don't have a computer at all which seems a bit strange for an SE model. However, VW being what they are and the indiscriminate way they keep on changing specifications i.e adding or subtracting items, then nothing would surprise me. That said, I would have thought that the Midline Multifunctional computer would now be standard at least from the SE model upwards.

When I ordered my car in late 2004, I was ready to pay the extra for the MFC but a change in spec. meant that my money was refunded as it was now to be included as standard fit but as you'll see, the other items I'd expected to be fitted to my SE model were removed, much to my annoyance (these included, self-dimming rear view mirror, Auto Wipers and Auto Headlights etc). In order to get these one had to specify a 'Convenience Pack' an opportunity I wasn't given.

[:)]

#16 ·
There was another variant knocking around the 05 plate era - a "comfo", also known as an SE by a certain dealer at the time [:)]

I know because we got one due to dealer ignorance.

We found out when we picked it up [:S]

It was an 2005 build ( 1KZ5) with dimming mirror, auto wipers, chrome around gearstick / handbrake knob / glovebox etc , and all the other features of an SE * expect * it was missing the trip computer functions and the switch to operate such things on the end of the wiper stalk.

Its identified on the Id Sticker as a "GOLF 1,9 TDI COMFO".

Just wondered if that is what the OP has ?

#18 ·
There was another variant knocking around the 05 plate era - a "comfo", also known as an SE by a certain dealer at the time [:)]

I know because we got one due to dealer ignorance.

We found out when we picked it up [:S]

It was an 2005 build ( 1KZ5) with dimming mirror, auto wipers, chrome around gearstick / handbrake knob / glovebox etc , and all the other features of an SE * expect * it was missing the trip computer functions and the switch to operate such things on the end of the wiper stalk.

Its identified on the Id Sticker as a "GOLF 1,9 TDI COMFO".

Just wondered if that is what the OP has ?
Welcome to the forum [:)]

All SE have a "COMFO" label as it is the generic name for the SE model, I think only the UK uses the "SE" model designator.

I'm not sure your car is any different than mine which is a 54 plate "05" build. Mine has all the things you describe but my trip computer was a ?125 option.

#20 ·
Oops - that's assumptions for you [:$]

Sorry for the misinfo about the Id tag ; I mistakenly thought that a "comfo" on the label identified it as a different beast to an SE

At the time, the SE was clearly specced as having the trip computer ; hence my confusion when we picked up the vehicle.

Must have been one of the few build variants....

I stand corrected [:S]

#22 ·
I can see it costing a fair few ????'s, you arent really missing out on much not having it. Its not exactly that usefull as everything it says you have to take with a pinch of salt (apart from the time!).
Well. That's a bit of a sweeping statement isn't it? What positive proof can you produce for such an utterance? I find the data useful and in the main quite trustworthy, thank you very much!

#24 ·
Distance covered and time to do so is accurate but fuel ecomony figures are optimistic to say the least. My highline has consistently read approximately 10% over what I'm really achieving.
Yes. I would agree that the mpg figures are somewhat optimistic but in my case by not more than say, 2.5% at worst.

I brim my tank each time I fill up and zero memory 2 and in many cases the difference between my calculated mpg and that indicated by the computer is < 0.8 mpg. Since taking ownership of my car, 15 months, ago I've achieved consistently 40mpg +.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.