Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought an adaptor to give the ability to get picture via composite (red, white and yellow). The problem is i tried it and it works ie black and white picture and it works when driving. Can anyone please giv eme a clue how i can correct this problem of only showin in black and white and the fact i cannot switch from Aux A/V to say the radio. I have a CD MFD2 Version B

Nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
HI

SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOUR DVD PLAYER OR WHAT EVER YOUR USING

IS ON A DIFFERENT SETTING THAN THE ADAPTER SOME ADAPTERS

ARE PAL ONLY AND OTHERS DO BOTH TRY CHANGING THE SETTINGS

ON THE DVD PLAYER WHAT TYPE OF ADAPTER HAVE YOU BOUGHT?

WAYNE

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
The adaptor is PAL and NTSC

I bought it on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AV-Multimedia-Interface-Adapter-for-VW-MFD2-RNS2_W0QQitemZ120074702793QQihZ002QQcategoryZ139823QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have emailed someone in london who bought it aswell and e gave me a number for the installer. But i followed the instruction of putting two of the wire into two separate +12V feeds (I used the red and yellow wire going into the MFD2)
THATS THE ONE I WANT!!!

DID U MANAGE TO GET IT WORKING?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's the thing it isn't. Its in black and white and i can't shift from AUX to radio or CD or any other option

·
Registered
14 Posts
mmmm i duno.... i cant see why it wouldnt work, the ebayer has good feedback as well. look at the people on ebay who have bought the same thing and ask them to see how they done it or if they had the same problems etc. i no the mfd2 can be used as a screen i have seen it b4 ........>>>
=

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I finally got to get it to work just before Easter as I was recovering from a broken leg.

To get out of the AUX part of the radio you need to put a switch on the yellow wire. The switch was bought from Maplins just a quid and i just put it in the middle of the wire which is accessable from the glovebox. The yellow wire is the wire which disables the safety device which allows you to have a picture whilst you are driving.

The jumping round was caused by the digital tv reciever and what system it was outputting (PAL or NTSC) its trial and error really but it is still jumpy sometimes and have to switch systems PAL to NTSC or vice-versa.

The wires from the adaptor were attached to the radio loom. Yellow to the red and yellow wire, red to other red and yellow wire and brown to the earth. All of these were done by an auto electrian who used snap-on connectors, really i could have done it myself.

There is a bad earth as i get a buzzing when i drive but i will look for a better way of earthing the thing.

The adaptor has RCA connectors so you can attach anything that has yellow, red and white outputs.

A trick I found out was the night/day button changes the aspect of the picture (4:3 L, 16:9 W and 16:9 pan and scan) if you hold the button down you can turn off the screen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

can you tell me how you wired this adaptor? did u wire it through the radio plug block or you wired it some where else.

Your blue cable is prbably the same as my yellow but i was told that the switch was to be connected with the yellow, whereas your version says to run it in parallel to the red and blue.

Do you get any jumping or does it work straight away?

I might have to get your adaptor if i cannot get mine to work consistantly with my MFD2 (A)

Regards

Nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi

ive picked up the feed from the cig lighter and fitted

at the side of the ashtray inside centre console

regards

wayne

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok, so on your adaptor the:

yellow wire is to disable the safety feature (which needs a switch to work)

brown is the earth wire (which goes into the back of the mfd2)

and what is the red wire??

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok, so on your adaptor the:

yellow wire is to disable the safety feature (which needs a switch to work)

brown is the earth wire (which goes into the back of the mfd2)

and what is the red wire??

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
red and yellow require a +12V current. The yellow also disables the safety feature while driving which requires a switch to turn off the adaptor so you can use your radio

·
Registered
504 Posts
i would love to see in pictures how you did that - im struggling just to understand how all this comes together to be able to play DVD's and have TV on headunit.

can anyone explain it with pictures or non technical ways?.. please! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
very nice indeed!!

so playing DVD's i must have a separate DVD player? and also if i wanted to be able to watch TV on the main unit how would that be done? - what would i need to do?

cheers for posting those pictures it answers alot of questions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
THANKS!

THERE ARE DVD PLAYERS WITH BUILT IN TV TUNERS

BUT IM NOT SURE HOW GOOD THEY ARE YOU CAN ALSO

BUY SEPERATE TV TUNERS WHICH WILL BE MY NEXT

MISSION.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Cut the yellow wire, thats whats causing the problem, it did the same on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts