Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Using a Kestrel DAS-6

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dantes 
#1 ·
The mrs bought me the above for xmas and just wondering how to use it with the different polishes/speed settings etc.

I have watched a couple of vids of people spreading the cutting/polish/wax till its virtually disappeared and then wiping off but then others are just spreading the stuff on with the machine and wiping most off with a micro fibre cloth??

Any help would be very appreciated [:D]

Cheers

#3 ·
I love my DAS - 6 :D

First, apply resin/polish/paste in a cross or dotted pattern onto the pad

Press onto a medium sized area around 4 or 5 times (before turning the polisher on)

then (once s elected speed 1) start to get a nice even spread. and make sure you haven't turned it too far back as the DAS6 does have a tendency to hit maximum speed.

then depending on the angles of the panel s elect a comfortable speed. And apply the according pressure to what result you intend, i.e heavy for a deeper cut. And light to get rid of swirls and restore maximum Gloss.

Then the rest should be done by hand, or with the use of other detailing products.

Oh and if your serious about getting the perfect paint finish, then id go out and get a good paint depth reader.

My mums MK5's bonnet was all over the shop in terms of depth before i started work on it.

Tom

#8 ·
As above [Y]

i use the menzerna range myself, always very happy with the results.

looks black, but its indigo blue..

these are the results of my 1st ever go at machine polishing. i did pratice alot before hand. a scrap bonnet, an audi hire car.

i just took my time, and it paid [Y]

#13 ·
Check out this site - loads of info on detailing, expand the step-by-step guide tab for polishing:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-does-polishing-do.html

Traditionally VAG paint is hard so you will probably need to use a harder pad and stronger polish although it does take practice to get the technique right (clogged pads, drying out etc). When I did mine with a rotary I used Power Gloss and refined with Final Finish.

Unless you are really cack-handed you can't do much damage with a DA....

Here's my effort on the V5:

www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183496

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.