Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my climate control go west after just four months of ownership, it then took Shepherds VW in Bishop's Stortford a month to get the replacement parts (not their fault of course, it's VW you see, they're useless...) They then fitted said parts to my car yesterday and still, no aircon working... it appears their machine that places the gas into the system has broken. I got no apology, just a shrug of the shoulders and the 'it's not our fault' routine again. When will you have this fixed, I ask - so that I have a car with some aircon? Err, don't know sir, we'll call you, but it could be a few weeks... after four months of ownership I have quickly come to the conclusion, nice car, shame about the service. There's another dealer 20 miles down the road, but when I called them I was told we're very busy at the moment, any chance you can call back tomorrow? They're a bloody joke IMHO. That was Abridge VW in Harlow. Oh and the muppets I bought the car from - Vindis VW in St Ives, well they were useless too - taking six months to supply my GTI as they screwed my order up and then tried to lie about it and blame the factory. Am I alone in having the worst VW delaers in the UK on my doorstep? I doubt it!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You seem to be getting very poor service.

Could it be the way you are dealing with them? Try the extremely polite but totally immoveable stance - do not take 'no' for an answer. This can often get results. Do not accept shrugs. Do not accept them saying they do not know when they can do something. If the individual you are dealing with is hopeless ask top see his boss. You are the customer - stand up for your rights and do not get trodden on!

Go in to the showroom rather than deal with them on the phone - this ALWAYS gets better results - the last thing they want is a disgruntled existing customer in front of all their new and prospective customers.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Could it be the way you are dealing with them? Try the extremely polite but totally immoveable stance - do not take 'no' for an answer. This can often get results. Do not accept shrugs. Do not accept them saying they do not know when they can do something. If the individual you are dealing with is hopeless ask top see his boss. You are the customer - stand up for your rights and do not get trodden on!

Go in to the showroom rather than deal with them on the phone - this ALWAYS gets better results - the last thing they want is a disgruntled existing customer in front of all their new and prospective customers.
Ditto, thats what I do. I don't use stealers for servicing now but I had to and at the start I had a few problems. I was firm but fair and tried without making it obvious, trying to voice my opinions near people looking at new cars.

When I owned my 306 I had so many problems you wouldn't believe but the dealer was super helpful. They gave my free Peugeot goodies after servicing, really nice people. That made owning my 306 bareable (untill the warrenty ran out)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are not alone mate. Basically great cars, crap dealers. Everytime I have been into a VW dealership either in relation to warranty issues or to purchase consumables I have found them to be distinctly off hand and rude and you get the impression that they are doing you a favour by allowing you into the dealership. Just remember this. You are doing them the favour as they need us more than we need them.

My dealership experience is not the one I expected or deserved and I feel that when my current car is due for replacement I will not be looking at another VW.

So Smith Knight Fay dealerships in Manchester you have been named and shamed.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
A few weeks ago, my car was booked in for 2 days to have niggly rattles looked at ( for the 4th time ). I had booked a loaner, but couldn't find the paper bit of my driving licence. So I called the garage at 7.30am and left a message - asking them to call me back.

They called back at 3.30pm !![:mad:] Saying that they couldn't take my car in now as the didn't have time to look at it..WELL IF IT HADN'T TAKEN YOU 8 HOURS TO CALL BACK, YOU WOULD HAVE HAD PLENTY OF TIME !!

COLBORNE GUILDFORD ( again ) - take a bow. Shite 18 months ago, still shite now

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I gave up on sheppherds ages ago bar the parts department who are quite helpful with my random parts enquiries, I know of an aircon engineer who fixed my dad's car who I can recommend if it helps

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ditto everything you've stated above - I've done. The F word has not been used - yet! I've been into the showroom twice and phoned them a few times. I am always polite, but firm. I take no prisioners with these people, but being abusive will get you nowhere - I can agree with that. Some at the dealers are polite and helpful, others don't give a wotsit. The Essex Girl on the service reception is a complete air head, aside from that, most of the staff do seem to 'try'. But that's not good enough. It's just apathy really. If it's any consolation, my girl friend has just taken delivery of a new company car, a focus ST in white (nice, but no GTI I have to say!) and the ford dealer she uses is even worse! I'm off down there tomorrow to 'have a word'!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
You are not alone mate. Basically great cars, crap dealers. Everytime I have been into a VW dealership either in relation to warranty issues or to purchase consumables I have found them to be distinctly off hand and rude and you get the impression that they are doing you a favour by allowing you into the dealership. Just remember this. You are doing them the favour as they need us more than we need them.

My dealership experience is not the one I expected or deserved and I feel that when my current car is due for replacement I will not be looking at another VW.

So Smith Knight Fay dealerships in Manchester you have been named and shamed.
totally agree Macstar, I've now stop using Smith Knight Fay, I had bad dealings with both the Audi and VW garages in Bolton. Took the car in for door alignment, they dented the door in 5 places and then denied it. They had a look at the dodgy rear wiperfound nothing.

When first service was due took car to Corkhills at Wigan, first impressions are much better, spoke to me like I was human and changed the rear wiper for an updated one under warranty, apparantly its a known fault, so why didn't smith knight fay know about it. Corkhills for me in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Haha, Funny that you should mention the Bolton dealership Gaz, as that is where the majority of my "experience" lies. Anyway my first service is due in about 3 months so I will try Corkhills if you recommend them.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am voting with my feet.  This is my last VW ever!  The car is great, although bits of it were put together by monkeys with blu tack.  The dealers have been utterly utterly useless.  They are the worst dealers that I have ever dealt with including, Renault Peugeot and Mercedes who have a very bad rep.  It is not just my local ones, all of the ones I have dealt with in this country are a disgrace.  So VW - you have lost a loyal customer.  

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
me too - this is my 6th and last..I know the car isn't mine but I treat it like it is and nothing pees me off more than spending time is a car that rattles, creaks, clicks and generally built like an airfix model

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am voting with my feet. This is my last VW ever! The car is great, although bits of it were put together by monkeys with blu tack. The dealers have been utterly utterly useless. They are the worst dealers that I have ever dealt with including, Renault Peugeot and Mercedes who have a very bad rep. It is not just my local ones, all of the ones I have dealt with in this country are a disgrace. So VW - you have lost a loyal customer.
Exactly how I feel - sadly. I do love my GTI though... I'm stuck with it until 2008, so will have to hope nothing else goes wrong. VW need to sort their act out. I'll be going back to Audi from the GTI - planning to buy the S version of the new TT when it arrives - already got my name on the list for one. Spec not available yet, but the dealer has said it will probably be the new S3 engine (260bhp turbo) and 4wd with a few styling enhancements. I bought the GTi when I did as I had to change cars and could not see anything else that I wanted at the time. I tried a V6 A3 and found it boring, the new TT (I owned a TT before the GTI) was too far away and the R32 golf did not appeal - IMHO after driving the GTI and the R32 back to back, I preferred the GTI... I'll never buy another VW though - the dealers are all hopeless and the build quality of my GTI is well below parr for a car that cost me nigh on £25k. Shame on you VW as it would not be that hard to get it right! I owned a mk3 golf VR6 from new for three years and it was the best, most reliable car I've ever owned. Not a rattle or sqeak, bullet proof build quality, nothing went wrong with - ever, oh and the dealers used to care back then...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I phoned Pursers in South East London to try to book my car in for some more warranty work. The receptionist that answered had the sheer bad manners to yawn whilst I was asking her to put me through to the service department. OK, so people yawn but when you're on the phone to a customer you don't have to do it so loudly that the whole world knows that you're tired. Was tempted to put the phone down there and then - if the dealer employs monkeys like this girl it doesn't speak much for the dealership's customer service as a whole. Didn't trust my car with them in the end and went elsewhere - to my parents delaership 300 miles away in Newcastle...[:|]

·
Registered
538 Posts
Macstar, not saying there perfect, got a call 2 days later from one of the mechanics asking if he'd left some tools in the boot, not sure he should have been given my phone number, hey at least they didn't damage the car. but first impressions are much better than SKF

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its not just VW. Yesterday I got a price list for a RRS through the post - 3 months after I asked for it. Now, if that wasn't useless enough, it was for the 2006 model. 7 weeks ago, new price lists were issued for the 2007 model - so why send out an out-of-date brochure ? Talking on the RRS forum - I'm not the only one that this has happened to

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have to say that my supplying dealer has so far been 1st class with looking after my car and me.

Been back for a couple of bits and car was sorted next day.

Even the Parts dept have been very nice with supplying me my Ipod Interface despite the 2 month wait but he was very apologetic about delay and sudden price increase.

So will continue to use them even though i have a dealer much closer to home.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
he was very apologetic about delay and sudden price increase.
How awfully nice of him - must have been frustrating for him having to wait even longer to get your cash but at least he managed to get more of it in the end which must have been some compensation [^o)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts