Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first car with 6 gears and have read that using it too low in the rev range can fry the clutch.I know it's quite a high gear,but when do you guys tend to use your's and at what speed is best?[:D]

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

btw shouldnt the highest gear only be use for cruising for it to save fuel for example

driving at 35 in fifth will save more fuel than driving in 4th. but if you accelerate then you should shift to 4th or its takes more fuel. is this correct coz i remember when connecting vag and monitoring the fuel useage it was a lot higher trying to accelerate in a higher gear

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to use it at about 50mph,at 70mph it cruises lovely in 6th.I try not to accelerate hard in the higher gears due to the damage it can do to the clutch and don't really fancy spending out £700 for a new clutch and flywheel just yet![:D]

·
Registered
628 Posts
if i'm feeling lazy i'll let it get as slow as 25 before i drop down but depends on how fast i want to accelerate,i don't do this very often but it is perfectly driveable if your limited by other trafic anyway.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I imagine the *only* time you would use 6th gear is when on the motorway at 70mph+.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used to use 6th at 40mph all the time but since its been mapped you really notice the punishment it gives the clutch - now I only use it above 50mph but it was a real hard habit to break at first[:O]

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
When driving the golf i would change into 6th when the motorway was clear in front of me doing over 50.

5th would see 120+ so its not like you NEED to change.. its just for better mpg when its a clear smooth road in front.

In the CTR its different... cos the gear ratios are so damn close together 80mph sees 4000rpm even in 6th so its change as soon as i hit motorway speeds regardless of traffic!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.