Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just fitted new wiper mechanism for the front and i have got a problem. The wipers are vertical when they are at the rest position. They should be horizontally flat.

ANyone know what ive done wrong? Anyone got a pic of the wiper mechanism, i got a feeling i rebuilt it wrong. HELP PLEASE

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I would guess that when you put the wiper arms on the splines, that the motor wasn't at its rest position.

Take the wiper arms off, ensure the motor is at rest, then replace the wiper arms.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could someone please confirm what the mechanism should look like when its at the rest position, is it it like this?

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
iirc the middle piece should lie as horizontal as possible, but it's been ages since I took mine off. Best thing to do is, like PJ said, ensure the motor is in the rest position then visualise the movement of the mechanism. Sorry, not much help really! If you're still stuck I'll see if I can find something to help you.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys.

Ive just been fiddling about with it and now it goes from the horizontal position right to top and clears the screen, but when it comes back to rest at the bottom, it moves slightly back up again. So it rest about a quarter up the windscreen.

davemk, i dont think the middle piece is fully horizontal when its at the rest position so ill do that tomorrow now.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will be very helpful if someone could exactly confirm the position of the mechanism at the rest position. A pic would be great.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do u reckon it i put the bar as horizontal as possible it would sort the problem?

This is abit difficult to explain but there are 2 different horizontal positions it can be put. One way is all the mechanism to the right one way all to the left. Look at the pic, it might help abit.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, i really need a pic of it fitted on a car. Thats the only way too see what position the mechanism is in in the rest position.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I'll try to have a look tomorrow but I've got some appointments so it depends on what time I get home at. If I can take a pic, I will.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Here's the pic I promised. As you can see, it's almost horizontal. My wipers sit very slightly higher than the rest position so a more horizontal position would cure it I think.

Sorry that the pic is a bit poor - it was taken with the mobile and to make it worse, it was through the cowl, but it answers your question.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone for the help. I adjusted it so its vertical and it works fine now.

Thanks again, what a great forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts