Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.0 gt tdi and im removing the coolant temperature sensor.
Can anyone cirle it in the pic.
I removed the circled one but it smells of fuel not coolant so it probably the wrong one.
Any advice please urgent

Posted Image

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can see it, just, but for some reason I can't put a pic up.

In fact please put up a picture of the whole engine and a pic the engine form exactly over the top, not from the front as this one is.

Just to explain, it should be to right of the crankcase vent on the side of the engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is a retaining clip that holds it in, you need to remove that first. it plastic so don't break it and also it's very easily lost, don't lose it cause it'll render your car undrivable. the clip moves in an up and down movement, find out which way up it is and pull it in the relevant way to remove it. then simply wiggle the sensor out of position, might need a good tug but nothing major. When that comes out so will the coolant thats in that part of the head. Remove the old O-ring if it didn't come out with the sensor. Put the new O-ring on the new sensor before putting it back in the sensor housing. makes it easier to do and you're less likley to drop the O-ring. Push the sensor firmly back into the head. Replace clip. TOP UP COOLANT. Run engine for 5 mins to make sure there are no leaks at the sensor housing. Take car for a 5 min drive to get out any air locks. STOP CAR AND CHECK COOLANT LEVEL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts