Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance policy lapses on the 25th May and have tried to renew the policy with my current insurer, Greenlight, who have refused me based on the fact that I'm in the process of moving to the US for 6-12 months !!

I have explained that whislt out of the country the vehicle will be parked on my parents driveway and covered (as my sig pic). The same goes for Adrian Flux.

I still haven't got my US VISA approved, so don't officially know when I will be leaving the country, but I need cover up until I do leave.

What can I do ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Take out a new policy until you leave (making sure it does not have huge charges for cancelling early). Then when you leave for the US simply cancel the policy.

Then you have a few options - 1. Don't insure it. 2. Insure it just for storage, not for driving. 3. Insure it in your parents names and get them to drive it every so often to keep it running nicely.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then you have a few options -

1. Don't insure it. - could do this but I would like to keep hold of my 3 year NCB

2. Insure it just for storage, not for driving. - Greenlight and Adrian Flux still wouldn't insure me if I just laid the vehicle up.

3. Insure it in your parents names and get them to drive it every so often to keep it running nicely - This would be the final option as the parents current have 2 motors each.
Going to PM Neil at Greenlight to see what he can do for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Its because we cannot insure people who are not permenant resident in the UK

The problem we have is we cannot cover a car for a policyholder who is living abroad.

Best Regards

Neil (Greenlight Insurance)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After talking to numerous indian call centers and being sent round in circles by Talk Connections I have managed to secure a 12 month policy with Adrian Flux, using the premise that I travel with work of indefinate extended periods.

The policy has cost me an additional 25%, which includes the 15% forum discount, compared to if I had just taken out a straight policy.

You live and learn.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Try insuring with www.insuredaily.com till you leave... then park it in your folks garage and then it will be covered by the home contents unsrance in most cases

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
After talking to numerous indian call centers and being sent round in circles by Talk Connections I have managed to secure a 12 month policy with Adrian Flux, using the premise that I travel with work of indefinate extended periods.

The policy has cost me an additional 25%, which includes the 15% forum discount, compared to if I had just taken out a straight policy.

You live and learn.
Madness.. so they'll cover people with bad driving history etc, yet cos your not in the country all the time, they won't even cover the car to sit on the driveway !

'Go Figure !' as our american friends would say ! [:cool:] [:^)]

·
Registered
357 Posts
yet cos your not in the country all the time, they won't even cover the car to sit on the driveway !
You cannot cover a car in the UK if live in America?

Its not like the policy holder is going on holiday for a month or
popping over to the US on occasional business trip. The customer is moving
abroad.

All insurers will ask if you are a permenant resident in the UK, if you answer 'No' I doubt any of them will insure you.

If you are leaving the car in the care of family then you could insure
the car in their name and when you pop back to visit you could be added
as a temporary additional driver .

Best Regards

Neil

Greenlight

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You live and learn.
Madness.. so they'll cover people with bad driving history etc, yet cos your not in the country all the time, they won't even cover the car to sit on the driveway !

'Go Figure !' as our american friends would say ! [:cool:] [:^)]
Indeed, you would have though they would have been fall over themselves to get my business.

The best bit was trying to understand the underwriters reasons for not offering cover which ranged from;

you would be classed a UK perminate resident
you wouldn't be availble to instantly respond to any correspondance sent out by the insurance company.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yet cos your not in the country all the time, they won't even cover the car to sit on the driveway !
You cannot cover a car in the UK if live in America?

Its not like the policy holder is going on holiday for a month or
popping over to the US on occasional business trip. The customer is moving
abroad.

All insurers will ask if you are a permenant resident in the UK, if you answer 'No' I doubt any of them will insure you.

If you are leaving the car in the care of family then you could insure
the car in their name and when you pop back to visit you could be added
as a temporary additional driver .

Best Regards

Neil

Greenlight
But that is the crux of the problem, last year I was away on business for over 4 months, yet I was not obliged to inform you of this situation, yet when I openly explain this at the start of the policy new your not interested in my business.

I could understand if I was moving to the US perminatley and was obtaining a Green card, but I'm not, I going on a work visa to work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
But that is the crux of the problem, last year I was
away on business for over 4 months, yet I was not obliged to inform you
of this situation, yet when I openly explain this at the start of the
policy new your not interested in my business.

I could
understand if I was moving to the US perminatley and was obtaining a
Green card, but I'm not, I going on a work visa to work.
If you emigrated to the US you would of had to inform us mid policy but if you were over tempoary on business.

We were under the impression you were moving to the states for good and
wanted the car insured in the UK for when you return to visit
occasionally. The notes on our system show you mentioned exporting the
car to US for good with you....Surely you wouldn't export the car if
you were over on work visa?

If you were not emigrating and only over on business trips then we could of cover you.

Best Regards

Neil

Greenlight Insurance

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But that is the crux of the problem, last year I was
away on business for over 4 months, yet I was not obliged to inform you
of this situation, yet when I openly explain this at the start of the
policy new your not interested in my business.

I could
understand if I was moving to the US perminatley and was obtaining a
Green card, but I'm not, I going on a work visa to work.
If you emigrated to the US you would of had to inform us mid policy but if you were over tempoary on business.

We were under the impression you were moving to the states for good and
wanted the car insured in the UK for when you return to visit
occasionally. The notes on our system show you mentioned exporting the
car to US for good with you....Surely you wouldn't export the car if
you were over on work visa?

If you were not emigrating and only over on business trips then we could of cover you.

Best Regards

Neil

Greenlight Insurance
I'm not emigrating to the US, I just moving to work there on a 6-12 month contract, does this still count as emigrating ?

As for exporting the car to the US, the only way for me to do this is on a personal import which is only permissable for a maximum of 12 months, I was merely investigating the possible cost of insurance for this idea.

Please let me know if you are able to offer me cover based of the above fact, as I have had to take out a policy with a 50% increase on the premium that you have quoted me. This policy starts tomorrow and has a 14 days cancellation.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Think there may of been some confusion with the underwriter. I'll call
them tommorrow and explain things clearyl first thing and let you know
straight away.

You get a 14 day cooling off period on the new policy.

Best Regards

Neil

Grenlight Insurance

·
Registered
357 Posts
After a lengthy chat with the underwriters I have got some good news if you could call me on 01277 263030 I'll explain.

Also sent you a PM.

Best Regards

Neil

Greenlight

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been in touch with Neil and all has been sorted, again many thanks for your help.

Now the for the fun will Adrian Flux to cancel my policy under there 14 days cancellation policy, too which I have been told to do this will cost;

?25 - there admin fee
?26 - the underwriters risk fee for using their cover for the morning
?70 credit card fee, because I paid their 3% charge for paying by AMEX, they are now saying that this is non-refundable, as they don't get this refunded, even though my card in essance will be charge ?50 by them once they have refunded the rest of the policy.

Surely the credit card charge should be refunded ?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I've been in touch with Neil and all has been sorted, again many thanks for your help.

Now the for the fun will Adrian Flux to cancel my policy under there 14 days cancellation policy, too which I have been told to do this will cost;

?25 - there admin fee
?26 - the underwriters risk fee for using their cover for the morning
?70 credit card fee, because I paid their 3% charge for paying by AMEX, they are now saying that this is non-refundable, as they don't get this refunded, even though my card in essance will be charge ?50 by them once they have refunded the rest of the policy.

Surely the credit card charge should be refunded ?
Bloody right it should ! ?70 fee for using a credit card.. why has these small percent fees for using credit cards on stuff suddenly appeared recently.. ?!! Just another way of them trying to squeeze money out of the customer.. good ole rip off britain !

Adrian Flux were cheeky sods last year with their admin charges to add stuff to your policy !! and then they send YOU the form to fill and and send back and charge you ?25 for the pleasure !! [8o|] [:mad:]

Good to see that greenlight got it sorted for ya Russell.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
14 day cancellation normally means, a cancellation with no fee involved.

That's the way it has worked with me with three mainstream insurers and I have had a full refund. Would tell them to stick it personally and give you your money back, but you could have signed up to those T&C's. Seems a hell of a lot of money to cancel though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts