Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the process of taking off my wheels to give them a good clean etc but i cant get them off. Iv undone 4 of the 5 nuts but then there's this tricky little one. Ive managed to take the cap bit off it but its uncovered a round nut with 3 small holes within it. How the hell do I get this one off????

Urgent help needed please!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its a locking wheel nut, there should be a bit in your tool pack or in the spare wheel section that has three little prongs and looks like a nut...

this fits over the top and allows you to undo the locking nut

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh, well I think you can buy them or borrow one from a friend i suppose....

On the plus side at least you found this out now rather than when and if you got a flat tyre!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I take it you have checked all round the car? in the tool tray, spare wheel well? even ashtrays etc...people hide them everywhere.

If you dont know anybody with one....then

Best take it too a garage then, they will either have an extracter tool that will eat into the bolts whilst turning it clockwise then you slacken it and the grip holds thus unwinding it or they will drill it out. (make sure you note any damage to wheels, as its common for garages to slip doing these )

Keep away from these nasty cheap locking wheel bolts, they round off and the teeth break on the locking nut. Genuine lots are only cheap

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That's 'cos they're like keys, you have to use the one that matches the pattern on the locking bolt. When you buy locking bolts you get a key with them, and a serial number or code for the manufacturer to make a spare key if ever needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
its not that easy I'm afraid they are like keys, you need the right one for your nut. you may be lucky and find one that fits

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Balls, what do I do then? I dont have any paperwork about the wheels as they are just the standard ones that came with it but i didnt buy it from new. No serial number etc [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
as your local i could see if i have one. im not 100% i have locking wheel nuts thou. but in the morning i'll have a look

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sorted, now buy yourself a decent locking wheel bolt set....

Otherwise if the bolts seize in too tight the locking nuts pegs give way (they are only cheaply made)....then you are back to square one.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know of any decent locking bolt sets available and where to get them? Do they have to be a specific size etc?

Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to have those pin nuts and they are a absolute B***ard when they jam, I binned mine and got some from the Dealer.

We have those McGard type on a Terrano that we have and they are as weak as anything, weve broken 1 socket and 2 nuts getting them off when they have stuck, the VW designs look a good design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts