Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about three quarters through installing a W8 light into the beast, following Foxy's guide ...

I've put the wiring into the dimmer switch, installed the new plug at the interior light section, and just plugged in the new W8 light - the courtesy lights work fine but the LEDs don't!

Checked the wiring, which all seems to be fine, with no dodgy connections, but in doing so it seems that the LEDs seem to illuminate if I touch the circuit board at the back of the switch ... any ideas what is going on?

I am losing daylight fast, so all help gratefully appreciated!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
you absolutely sure its wired up correctly as instructions?

how have you made the conections? new plug, scotched, heat shrunk?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think when you touch the circuit board, your grounding it, so sounds like you haven't got a ground to me.

Oh and the LEDS will only illuminate when you have the lights switched on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Connections are done with a new plug - scotchlocked in at the dimmer end.

The ground sounds like it could be the one, as the leds will then come on irrespective of whether the lights are on or off ...

Any ideas on how I sort this?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Have you used the extra wire that you can get, it has 2 connections, one from the existing socket that you pulled out of the original light, the other end goes into the W8 light.

It has if I recall 4 wires. Check your joins are ok. It's the only thing I can think of really. Have you been tugging around at the wires or anything as the orginal ground should be ok. All you should have is 4 wires going into the light.

Positive, Negative (what I presume is switch on and off) and the illumination wire which you have installed.

Which wire have you connected to on the dimmer switch? I used the pure grey one. Done it on 3 cars now and never had a problem, but always used the extra loom.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically wired it like the fitting guide that Foxy did .. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/w8_inner_light.htm

Snipped the original plug off, and wired the three wires into the new plug. I then attached the new wire to the dimmer switch using the purple wire ...

I could be driving down to Exeter to you at this rate mate!!

Don't think I have tugged on the wires sufficient to disturb the ground - would be surprised if I had - just don't know where I am going wrong- beginning to panic now as going dark!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Purple wire? I have always used the grey wire (theres one that's grey and another colour, I used the plain grey one). Don't know what it does but has always worked for me.

As you snipped the wires instead of using the loom, are you positive you have got the ground and switched in the right way on the plug? They are cleanly attached to the plug etc?

So lets get this right. If you have the lights switched on, you only get the courtesy lights showing (white, normal lights) but if you put your finger onto the circuit board, the LED's come on and stay on until you take your finger away?

Do the lights in the little logo's light up red at all when the LED's are not? It should be that when the 2 bigger LEDS come on, the small logo's will light up red next to the switches.

Are ANY of your dash lights now lighting up when you switch your headlights on and do they dim as they should when you dim them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've basically put the wires into the plug a la Foxy's guide, so I'm presuming they are right.

If the lights are on, I just get the normal courtesy light working. With my finger over the circuit board, the bigger LEDs come on, but not the smaller logo switches. They stay on until I move my finger, regardless of if the lights are on or not.

All the dash works, including the dim feature.

Just checked the connections, and they are all fine ... looks like I will have to drive with my finger over the circuit!!

Only thing I can think is if my wires are in a diff sequence to Foxy's, hence the ground in the wrong place poss?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've basically put the wires into the plug a la Foxy's guide, so I'm presuming they are right.
they are mate, i used them to do one last week.

you must have the wires out of sequence-id start again if i were you?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I reckon either one of your connections is wrong, or the light is knackered.

Basically, when you touch the circuit board it's telling something to switch on even though the lights are not on. Mine doesn't do that, I touched the circuit board enough! That basically sounds to me as if you are acting as a ground. So, what that would indicate is that you have got the ground and positive round the wrong way? I don't know, I'm trying to think logically here!

The only other thing I can think of is are you deffo sure you used the wires going to the dimmer switches and definately used the purple as stated in foxy's guide? There are some which have a colour then a coloured stripe going through them.

The reason I was asking if your lights still dimmed/illuminated on the dash was to rule out the fuse issue.

It's a tricky one. Another thing....when you cut the wires to take the existing plug off, you have insulated each one seperately haven't you? I.e. no bare wires from one wire can touch another one?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the photos mate

Looks like your grey wire on mine is purple - presuming this is the same wire, are you on flat grey, or grey and blue?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
def no wires touched, plus I had the battery off to be double sure.

i suppose the only way to check the W8 itself is to go and buy another, see if that is ok, and if same problem then it must be a wiring issue.

suppose I could also try running another wire to see if I have any more joy from that - by the way, what wire are you using - I am using 5 amp cable which I presume should be ok?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
To be honest mate, haven't got a clue what wire I'm using, just some that I found!

If you can make it to Exeter, you can try my light out should you need to sometime next weekend or in the week. Might be easier to buy another though.

At least you have your normal white light, kind of defeats the point though! [:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
have u actually put the new wire in the right place on the new connection? they are numbered on the connection itself, very small!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, I've took some photos to try and show what I have done to try and see if someone can help me get to the bottom of all this!

This is the end at the W8:

Posted Image

And the other end:

Posted Image

And overall:

Posted Image

From this, the wires are put into the new connector as follows:

Position1: new wire (to dimmer)

Position 3: blue/white

Position 4: brown

Position 5: blue/red

This is the connection at the dimmer end:

Posted Image

I have tried running a new wire from position 1 to the dimmer, just to exclude the fact that this was the source of the problem, with no joy - so it looks like it is either the position of the wires at the interior light, or a dud unit?

Sorry to be a pain on this guys, but really want to get this to work!! Thanks for your patience so far!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Everything is certainly right there. The one and only thing that could be a problem is those screw connectors, if one of them has a problem, could be causing you an issue.

If that fails, it's got to be a dud unit or a dud connector.

Must be a right pain for you though. Trouble is, you don't know for certain that a new unit is going to be the answer.

When you do get it all sorted, or want to just put it up until you can sort it, when you pop it back into position it might not fit right, but just take away some of the blak foam stuff with a screwdriver or similar where the connector sits and it will pop in.

I still think you have a grounding issue, but maybe in the unit itself. Weird though how it only puts the 2 LED's on and not the icon things when you do 'connect yourself' with the circuit board.When you say circuit board, I'm assuming you mean the copper on the back.

Didnt realise how far stoke on trent was away from Exter! [:$] Must be someone round there that has a unit?

EDIT: Just noticed something, connect the green wire to the light [:D] Sorry....couldn't help myself!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts