Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

I collected my New MK5 GTI on the 1st March, which went great (Darlington Lookers), anyway nearly 4 weeks later (Yesterday) the drivers side button busted (My fault), so a trip to the dealers was needed?

<o:p> </o:p>

Great, so booked in, looked at, part order ?????. Told to collect by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="18" Minute="0">6pm</st1:time>.. fair do no issues here?.

BUT collection time?

When I walked in (about 2:30pm), I noticed that the aerial was missing, after getting the keys I hunted for the aerial and found it on the front seat? after a quick inspection I noticed a few marks and light scratches on the bonnet, as it was raining I ask them to dry the car so I could see the full damage!!!

HERE Goes?. After a 40min wait, I was called into the back and told to inspect car.. so I did?

Marks and light scratches all over my 4 weeks old car? WHY WHY you ask..

THEY HAD MACHINE WASHED MY BLACK GTI?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
They do it for you as a courtesy, you should always tell them not to do it if you don't want it done.  Luckily my local dealer has a very soft car wash so it does not cause any issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soft car wash or not!! Machine car washes don?t clean they destroy?.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Courtesy (Yeah right) - whom in their right mind would put a black 23k car through one of those things??

Are you telling me you are would be happy if your 3 weeks old pride and joy went through one?

These people should understand how to treat car?s?.. no car Black, Blue, Red should be put through one....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They said they will be doing a ahand polish!! can't see that this would fix them...
Sorry to hear of your Dealer problems, that sounds like a [email protected]@ poor service, they should have held you car back in the workshop and explained the problems before you stumbled across it.

For years now I always ask the Dealers not to wash my cars, I don't trust them nor do I like the shampoo's some of them use, as they can be too powerful and has striped wax off previouse cars.

I hope they look after you,with a good offer,maybe a free service.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When i bought my GTi it was a demo, looked great to me, when i picked the car up it was raining but i was well happy with it.

The next day the sun was cracking the flags and i could see all the swirls in the paintwork which where not there the week before.

They said that they cleaned it for me the same way they clean everyone elses car[:O] You gotta laugh at dealers[:D]

They done a hand polish for me but they are still there now. Best of luck with it mate, hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update guys!! They have polished it and they said all marks have now gone!!

BUT what have they found!!

Dirt under the paint... They have advised that I have VW inspect the car for paint warranty issue!!

Update to follow!!!! <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to here this..................[:'(]

Not alot you can do at this stage only complain to the Dealer Principal, the more fuss you make the better, and put this into writing as well.

Strange this happening,I was watching one of the cleaning staff only today,after taking my car back to be looked at ,warranty work.

He began by washing the underside of the seals using the brush,which was left against the wall brush end down before he started ,and then worked up to the doors and wings........The wheels got a good clean before he washed the roof.And this was a dirty car,so I pitty this owner.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

Right guys.. it has been hand polished and it looks like Dog *****..... you can see load of little marks like very fine scratches looks really dull on the bonet as well.

Any idea if i should suggest a machine polish?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Tell them you want your car in the same condition it was this morning before they got hold of it.

They might do even more damage with the machine polisher[:(]

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may find the fine marks are from them over polishing the car. I did that on my Diamond Black GTI looked like loads of little blisters under the lacquer. I would insist that you see the independant paint ispector to get their opinion. The inspectors dont work for the dealers so will give impartial advice.

If they get him to look at it and he says it is not a valid claim because it has been damaged by polishing I gaurantee they will cover up and you will not get the real message.

Best thing to do is say you are really busy with work and it would be best if you can meet the inspector. They will generally only go to VW garages to do the inspection as they need someone to sign and say they were there. Try and meet them at another dealers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really?? They said all they can offer is that!! Its mainly the bonnet that is affected.. They booked an appointment at the body shop for them to machine polish.

Any suggestions?<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may find the fine marks are from them over polishing the car. I did that on my Diamond Black GTI looked like loads of little blisters under the lacquer. I
Its only 4 weeks old? its only been polished 3 times?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes but I was beeing a complete fool on mine, rubbing it really hard to get the scratch out and built up loads of heat I think they call it micro blistering.

Yes that sentecne is littered with insinuendos

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God that does sound bad, don?t think it is that tho!!

Will remember in further!! How old was ur car?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
With a car so young, I would tell them to replace it with a new like for like replacement at no cost to you!

Sounds drastic but they will touch it up and sell it onto someone at probably close to list.

Do not accept any cr*p as by the sound of they have ruined your pride and joy.

I always wash my car the day before a visit to the dealer and leave a BIG note in the car telling them not to wash it. I do not want it put through a car wash or some plukey wee 16 year old dragging a power hose lance over it [8o|]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
With a car so young, I would tell them to replace it with a new like for like replacement at no cost to you!

Sounds drastic but they will touch it up and sell it onto someone at probably close to list.

Do not accept any cr*p as by the sound of they have ruined your pride and joy.

I always wash my car the day before a visit to the dealer and leave a BIG note in the car telling them not to wash it. I do not want it put through a car wash or some plukey wee 16 year old dragging a power hose lance over it [8o|]
Could not have put it better. They should replace your new car. it will never be the same (for you ) again. Idiots.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Is the dirt under the paint on the bonnet?? If it is, then wouldnt a re spray fix the problem?

I had a paint defect on my rear quater panel, it looked like a water mark, the dealer gave me a lecture about not using car washes... untill i told him its only washed by hand [:D]
Anyway they tried hand poloishing it, didnt work, booked it in2 VW Bodyshop and away we went, Great finish achieved and looking like new.

My dealer Pulman VW Durham said they file it off 2 VW and they decide if one of their guys needs 2 inspect it.. they then come out take a look b4 its booked in2 a bodyshop. In my case this was not necessary VW took pulmans word for it and all sorted under warranty

When I have been in lookers in town (buying screenwash etc), i have often noted the shabby looking car wash and the young lads running a jetwash brush over the cars and always think glad its not my car!

Hope u get it sorted, i would be tempted to use another dealer in future

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I hate this type of thing, they should not be using car washes at dealers, its a ******* sin!!

I am assuming your car is flat black?

The only thing that will remove it all is a professional orbital polisher like the "porter cable". I suggest that find someone that can do it for you over the whole car and then invoice the dealer (get them to agree first). Failing that, milk them for a full respray.

I really feel for you, what a bunch of gumbies.

When I get my GTI I don't want it serviced by VW, but I have to really :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts