Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just checked my oil and noticed this yellow/brown gunge stuff around the inside of the cap, any ideas on what this is??

Posted Image

There was a lot more gunge there before i had already wiped most of it off.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
if you're doing short journeys then thats normal mate. i wouldnt worry about it unless youre actually getting any problems. If you take your car on a nice motorway run and then have a look at the cap it wouldnt have that on there if everything is fine

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I get that with mine during the cold weather, told by a vw speclist not to worry its a common thing on the vw petrol engines, its when you get oil in the coolant bottle or mayonaise on the dipstick that you have to start worrying

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i only use the car on short journeys 2 miles to work and back and that's it. Going to Bristol tomorrow for new years which is a 3 hour journey so i'll check it then and it should be all clear. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Had the exact same thing with my 1.6 was like that for 2 years with no problem, it's not the head gasket unless your seeing that stuff on the dipstick or oil in the coolant bottle (as said a few posts above)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts