Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys,

Had a slight bump in my car in the snow a few weeks ago and it required a new front bumper and drivers door.

Paint work was fine.

For some reason they have replaced the headlight and when the car was returned the drivers light was bright white (aka how a Xenon should be) but the replaced drivers side was a mukey yellow like a standard halogen, even though it was the same style headlight.

I have rejected the car and they have drove it back away.

How can I tell them the light is not as it should be aka white? If this makes any sense? lol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already have; the car is back with them.

The delivery guy was trying to say that this is how new bulbs are yellow at first. He was a bit set back when I said I have had this car from new, and it should be as white as the right side.

Can you put the wrong colour temperature bulb in these head lights?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mate OEM factory fitted ones.

Looks like it - just got off the phone to VW and it sounds like they have put a non genuine bulb in which has a different colour temperature. This would explain the yellow colour I guess.

Bit bloody naught of them. [:(]

Just to check, I thought the bulbs where 4800K colour for OEM?

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
At a guess I presume they fitted an aftermarket (insurance approved) headlight with a projector lens, but with out the hid fitment it should have. Then they fitted a Halogen standard bulb in it.

When it comes back next time I suspect you'll have two standard halogen headlights. Bloody cost cutting by either the insurance or the bodyshop.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The delivery guy was trying to say that this is how new bulbs are yellow at first.
I've heard this from a few people, including the guy who does my MOTs - they do go whiter with age apparently.

So if you only change one then the newer one will look yellower than the one that's been in the car sice day one, even if they're the same colour temperature. You don't really notice them getting whiter over time as they're both going whiter, it's only when you put a new bulb in that you notice the difference. If you want to avoid it, Phillips even do a 5000k bulb which is supposed to give a good match if you're only replacing one bulb - Clicky.

Jon.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
im surprised the changed the bulb tbh, unless it was broke the insurance tell us to use it, most headlights that are xenon dont come with ballast or bulb, i know audi dont for deffo,

as jon says the xenon bulbs to colour change over time, which is why its reccomended to change them in pairs,

dont think it really warrented a thread haha

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well car is back now and the drivers side light is still noticeable dimmer (yellowish) compared to the passenger side even though they stress they have not replaced both bulbs.

Could another part in the unit like the ballast be causing this? Also, the headlight seems to have a lot of condensation inside, which I do not think should be there.?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
try swapping the bulbs over, see what happens, can rule out the ballast then... as for condensation, make sure the seal around the headlight is intact, if not, run abit of silicon sealant around the light, if thats cool, then pop the cap off the rear and get a hairdryer in it (might be better to take the light out) and let it dry out

if you dont want to do that then leave the xenon on for a bit, the heat should dry up and moisture and if that doesnt work, you can always try a packet of silica gel [:p]

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the all the input guys.

It does seem to be shifting colour temperature, though the condensation is worrying me slightly. Looks like they have replaced both sets of headlight units as they look perfectly clean and new. Though I can not see any VW marks on them?

Does any one have the same lights as us can check if they should have VW marks on?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your headlight can be manufactured by one of three companies.

Automotive Lighting

Hella

Visteon

I would suggest the headlight replaced was not by the same manufacturer as the original.

There will be different quality optics, hence the difference in light output and appearance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.