Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering from an increased amount of movement and vibration from the gearbox and engine in the Golf, probably down to the increased torque from the DMS upgrade, and wanted to replace the dogbone mount with a better version than the standard, and without the increased vibration from the aftermarket stuff, so.....

I called into see the parts dept at the Volkswagen dealer i use, not the nearest, its an hour and a half drive away but the parts man is first rate[:D]

I asked about a better dogbone mount, and wanted an OEM one as I prefer to go that way with stuff. He said he'd look at the options and order the best one (would you trust your parts dept like that? this bloke is first rate)

Picked up the parts and fitted the new one today, its the one off the 180bhp 1.8T, as even though there are a number of different types on ETKA, the diesels only have one version, 90bhp to 150bhp they are all the same-and now i've more than 150!

What a difference! Tramping and torque steer vastly reduced, smooth gearchange and very smooth power delivery. The main problem was crawling in 2nd gear, for instance, and when you plant your foot and the turbo kicked in the car was all over the place but its smooth as hell now-with not one difference to noise, vibration and comfort.... well done Peter Chimes![:D][:D][:D]

Gaz

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Good stuff Gaz, I'll have to take it for a spin myself to confirm though of course...... [;)][:p]

Don't forget the part number and your expert fitting guidance for when i do mine! i'll shine up the Golf while you fit the dogbone to the Bora...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by Rally_Chris on 04/03/2005 08:24:30

But I'd bet it cost you twice what a set of powerflex bushes would for your old mount?

Probably so, but who wants all that diesel vibration through the cabin off the firm poly-bushes

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part numbers and prices!

1J0199851AA (x1) ?53.64

Plus new bolts if you want them.....

N10245603 (x1) 86p

N90597001 (x1) 81p

N10268302 (x2) ?1.03 each

Its easy to fit, these are some guides on the Vortex for this. Basically jack up and secure the front of the car and remove the undertray; I found this to be the worst part of the job due to the fiddley screws!

When removed you will see the dogbone bolted to the subframe and bottom of the gearbox, undo the four bolts, remove and replace, its an easy job.

My engine didn't move whatsoever, but the guide on the Vortex warns that it could move. I found that with the dogbone off you can rock the engine back and forth holding the sump!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice info! Can you visually tell or feel a lot of difference between those parts? So it must fit a PD130 too, I will have to get this done too! Does it help with wheelhop?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reckon it does help alot with wheelhop.

The mounts are the same with different compounds of rubber used for the bushes. I think Beddie may try one on his 130PD Bora so watch this space dude!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So does the actual component look any different Gary, or is the better feeling simply due to the bushes? Would it be possible to just replace the bushes with the GTi 180 items?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its exactly the same part, I don't think the OEM bushes are sold as seperate items, and hence the expensive price.

Its down to the bushes being stiffer but not to the extent of the aftermarket performance manufacturers, it retains comfort. Ask your local parts dept, they could be sold separately; I hope so because I'd change them on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just had the powerflex ones fitted, will let you know how it goes after a few hundred miles of bedding in

failing that, will work to modify them for more comfort, otherwise I'll be getting a GTI180 one :)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Mister_E on 06/03/2005 10:37:20

Just a thought here - I've got a 5 speed, will the dog bone mount be different?

Hmmmn! I'm not sure if there are differences between 5 and 6 speed mounts...

Are the aftermarket ones different for each gearbox?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the new mount for my PD130. I hope it will indeed eliminate some of the wheelhop that I have. Cost was about 120 euros. Should be here next week.

Has anyone else tried this on PD130? Any more input from Gary, still happy with it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts