Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has upgraded their master cylinder after having decided their master cylinder isn't up to the job. They seem really cheap and an easy job to do when I next service my car:

http://www.autotech.com/prod_brakes_masterycyl.htm

This looks to be for a mk1 but couldn't find one for the mk4

The idea is that when your using large 4 pots or bigger that not enough pressure is applied to each piston, while this is common on other cars I've never seen any golf owners talk of upgrading their master cylinder ever.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would only be looking to upgrade the master cylinder and leave the servo alone, do you know if there is a difference between the 1.6 master cylinder and a r32 master cylinder?

I'm still using the 1.6 master cylinder and servo, but it's now driving 4 pot and while it's bled properly and works there's always going to be alot more travel for the master cylinder to put enough pressure on the larger pistons.

I'm tempted to just upgrade to an r32 master cylinder

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm eventually going big-ish turbo so upgraded to 4 pot

It would definately be some interesting finding though, I suspect the r32 master cylinder is different from the 1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0 master cylinders because it's got an extra piston. If not I was thinking possibly the LCR master cylinder must surely be an upgrade for us

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I would only be looking to upgrade the master cylinder and leave the servo alone, do you know if there is a difference between the 1.6 master cylinder and a r32 master cylinder?
There's two different master cylinders for a mkIV - one for cars with ESP and one for cars without. There's no difference in the actual cylinder size however - they're both 23.8 mm bore.

I know DaveB spent a lot of time looking for a bigger master cylinder that'd work on a mkIV when he was trying to get the Lambo brake set up on Phil540uk's 150TDi to work and I don't think he ever found anything that was bigger that could easily be made to fit and they eventually gave up trying to get it to work.

Jon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking for an upgrade, I have come to this. I was told a T4 Transport 25.4mm m/c may work, but I noticed the mounting holes are rotated slightly different.

Option 1
Use a T4 m/c, but Rotate the housing on my MK4 booster so that the studs line up for mounting.

Option 2
Take Apart both the T4 and MK4 m/c's, bore out the stock MK4 m/c and put the internals and the 25.4mm Pistons from the T4 into the MK4.

Option 3
Possibly use a T4 booster and m/c?
I haven't explored the booster as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
I have been looking for an upgrade, I have come to this. I was told a T4 Transport 25.4mm m/c may work, but I noticed the mounting holes are rotated slightly different.

Option 1
Use a T4 m/c, but Rotate the housing on my MK4 booster so that the studs line up for mounting.

Option 2
Take Apart both the T4 and MK4 m/c's, bore out the stock MK4 m/c and put the internals and the 25.4mm Pistons from the T4 into the MK4.

Option 3
Possibly use a T4 booster and m/c?
I haven't explored the booster as of yet.
Do this properly and start a new thread of your own please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.