Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this is a pointless post but, i cant afford to spend out in one lump for a hybrid turbo. And to be honest are not looking to chase numbers any way.

I just want to build some reliability..

if i was to buy the core in the photo this fits the stock housings. And has a 11+0 compressor.. ive asked them if they can do a 9 blade turbine as this also fits the stock housing. And thats an extra £25

Should i stay 11blade or go 9 blade turbine?

Im assuming 9 blade give better flow up top where the k04 struggles??

Font Parallel Symmetry Circle Number

Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Font Gas

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tuned K04s to 280bhp. Do you need more without rods? What are you trying to achieve? Spool earlier on will just bend rods.
Rods are going in... i just want a reliable daily with some extra power from a k04.

Im just asking if its worth buying and if so should i stick with the 11 blade turbine or choose the 9 blade for a little more flow at the expense of slightly later spool?

The standard awnser every one gives is go big turbo. But then fails to think about weighing up costs. Sure i could pay 1000 for a turbo.. get andownpipe made for 200 then the manifolds another 200 plus then the oil lines.. then the mapping isnt going to be standad stage 2 prices as its not a stock turbo...

For me i dont want to chase number like 350 400... im happy with 280 but if i can swap over a drop in chra make 10% more power over a sto k k04 and have that reliability of the 360 thrust bearing and the fact its brand new.... thats enough for what i need.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,707 Posts
A K04 isn't stage 2. The PID response is different so it needs to be calibrated for a K04 actuator, just an FYI. Plenty of people that can flash 'stage 2' but can't calibrate for K04.

This also extends to putting in different cores - the response is different, so a K04 base isn't alwasy ideal. Different actuators, turbines etc all affect response and what the ECU expects to see given an N75 DC/boost/etc. If you change them you'll get an under/overboost at that area and can risk limp mode unless it's calibrated correctly.

Calibrating custom wheels needs dyno.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry i mean as in stage 2 supporting mods

Im not sure what you mean about k04 isnt stage 2 and cant be calibrated for

Id be going to a dyno any way. I didnt last time but think its best too this time.

So.. with that core rhat has a 11+0 compressor ... do i stay with the 11 blade k04 spec turbine or opt for a 9 blade one for higher flow. As per the last couple posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.