Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my brakes, but from other posts I've found the 1.4 hub doesn't acutally allow the 312mm kit to fit.

I rang the dealers today, who informed me the hub on my car is the same as on any other golf of it's age apart from the anniversary and r32 ones.

Now with conflicting information I am unsure. Where all hubs change by vw at some point on all models, for me to be told mine are the same as a 1.8T for instance (as the dealer said) ?

I got a 1.4 match 53 plate. Any infomation/experience is appreciated

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thats very interesting information... As I am currently in the middle of this modification, and I thought the only bit left I needed to buy was new hubs... but if I dont need them.... then [:D] However, from every source I've seen about this, I'm pretty sure new hubs are needed, as on the 1.4 and 1.6 models, the caliper carrier is built into the hub, rather than having a place to bolt the caliper carrier too...

Anyone else know more about this???

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats very interesting information... As I am currently in the middle of this modification, and I thought the only bit left I needed to buy was new hubs... but if I dont need them.... then [:D] However, from every source I've seen about this, I'm pretty sure new hubs are needed, as on the 1.4 and 1.6 models, the caliper carrier is built into the hub, rather than having a place to bolt the caliper carrier too...

Anyone else know more about this???

Andy [:)]
Hey Andy, I've been told the exact same information. Just strange what the dealer said. But i've just be reassured by Mike from OEM parts the hubs need changing! http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/778858.aspx

Dumb parts dealer at Heathrow VW BEAWARE!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
whats the point in putting huge disc brakes on a 1.4?

you do realise that it will hinder a lot of choices of wheels for your car (should you decide to change them (and if you have already, have you checked to see if they will still fit?))

all the expense and time and it will cost you more each time you replace your discs and pads as they're of bigger size.

my car has the 312mm TT upgrade from the group buy in the offers section, but my cars a 1.8T and will be getting remapped at some point.

just buy some good discs and pads and then spend the money elsewhere!

jammy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I have also done this upgrade but to a 323mm disc and the hub will need changing as stated above due to the caliper carier not being bolted on and part of the casting

ANY HUBS from the 1.8T V6 4MOTION audi TT and seat leon cupra R WILL FIT THE

1.4 and 1.6 models

and you lot out there with the 1.4 and such KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!

i was there once and it really is fun no matter what others say!!

i dont belive in this "WHAT?S THE POINT SAVE YOUR CASH AND GET A 1.8T"

i started out with a 1.6 and i still have the same car OK a few minor changes here and there but it WAS still a 1.6

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have also done this upgrade but to a 323mm disc and the hub will need changing as stated above due to the caliper carier not being bolted on and part of the casting

1.4 and 1.6 models

i started out with a 1.6 and i still have the same car OK a few minor changes here and there but it WAS still a 1.6
Lol [Y] I didnt say anything because I didnt want to start another arguement about 1.4s, lol! [:D] But completely agree with everything there!

'A few minor changes' LMFAO! [:D] Just a few eh [;)]

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

1.4 and 1.6 models

buts it not a 1.6 any more tho is it! you've got NOS and pushing out over 300 bhp, you NEED the stopping power!

when you've got a 1.4 and 75 bhp, make the car aesthetically pleasing and put some good stereo in there, it just seems over kill putting big brakes on to it!

thats all i'm saying, i never said "WHAT?S THE POINT SAVE YOUR CASH AND GET A 1.8T" i was just trying to say don't overkill it!

jammy

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whats the point in putting huge disc brakes on a 1.4?

you do realise that it will hinder a lot of choices of wheels for your car (should you decide to change them (and if you have already, have you checked to see if they will still fit?))

all the expense and time and it will cost you more each time you replace your discs and pads as they're of bigger size.

my car has the 312mm TT upgrade from the group buy in the offers section, but my cars a 1.8T and will be getting remapped at some point.

just buy some good discs and pads and then spend the money elsewhere!

jammy
thanks for your input. I believe there was a thread here before, and it went along the lines of....if its a 1.8T, R32 or a 1.4, if your travelling at 70mph and you need to stop, larger brakes will do it better than crappy oem ones. That is of course why you upgraded also I guess. This is the same reason I am. Also I had abit of a crash in my corsa in December (couldn't stop in time cos someone pulled out), and seeing I'll be driving my mkiv soon, I rather not have this happen again in my pride and joy.

If i had kids and they were driving, without a doubt i'd upgrade brakes. This is why I am....it's simply ain't worth the risk. Spending ?400 isn't much to be able to stop when you want. Any opinions on that are most welcome.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts

1.4 and 1.6 models

buts it not a 1.6 any more tho is it! you've got NOS and pushing out over 300 bhp, you NEED the stopping power!

when you've got a 1.4 and 75 bhp, make the car aesthetically pleasing and put some good stereo in there, it just seems over kill putting big brakes on to it!

thats all i'm saying, i never said "WHAT?S THE POINT SAVE YOUR CASH AND GET A 1.8T" i was just trying to say don't overkill it!

jammy
I had the big brakes on the car even before it was a V6 and to think of it at the time i had not even thought about the V6

Then it was a simpel case of i had 18" rims and my brakes lookes POXY behind them and there was also the added bonus of being able to stop on a dime

and for the sake of the 400 quid it cost me it was too much of a deal to miss

i never sujested that you had said that but it is seen all to often on here

look at the slating LEX got with his R32 seats[:mad:]

It is just really not on that the smaler engine mk4 owners get hammerd just because it is there first golf or for what ever reasons they have a smaller CC car and at the end of the day it is where we all starte off from[:p]

Isee it this way it is all about having something that you can afford and just make the most of it[Y]

and no i am not having a go at you budy[H]

Andy

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
i know you're not having a go andy, i just think that 312mm brakes on a 1.4 is overkill.

thats all.

ok you did it for aesthetics first with the extra bonus. but if i was in his situation i'd just buy some better discs and pads and spend the rest of the money saved on something else.

sorry,

jammy

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
....the caliper carrier is built into the hub, rather than having a place to bolt the caliper carrier too...
Yup, your quite right, on all MkIVs up to the 1.8T and 130 PD. The way to spot this is simply look at the caliper - if it has FS-III cast into it then you will need to change the hubs.

It's a bolt-on conversion - the bottom ball joint, the steering arm, the strut and a brake pipe swap and Roberts your mother's brother.

It's up to you which route you take, by swapping to a 288mm set-up initially can keep the cost down and would give similar results to the Brembo set I imagine.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a 1.6match with anni wheels on and the brakes look really small and poxy behind the wheel. I looked into upgrading the brakes to bigger discs but looking at all of the physics of it, bigger brakes = slower car due to the extra weight. 1kg extra in the disc weight will meen alot more kilos of weight when the wheels are moving, so on a small engined car larger brake discs will make it even slower still [:(] So I decided to get Tarox Sport Japan discs all round with some soft compound pads, all from Awesome and the difference it made was HUGE!!! The stopping power now really is amazing considering the size of the discs and they just dont fade out at all.

BUT one day, when I have abit of spare cash I would love to go for the Porsche disc brake upgrade although this would only really be for looks, the stopping power would be greater but to be honest I dont think I would use them to there full potential. An upgrade like this can always be taken off when coming to sell the car and either put on another mk4 golf if you decide to get one, or be sold on.

If you have the money to do the brake upgrade and you dont mind the fact that your car will go slower and accelerate slower still then go for it for deffinate! Dont rule out the option of different discs and pads first though, as you really would be suprised by the difference it makes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An upgrade like this can always be taken off when coming to sell the car and either put on another mk4 golf if you decide to get one, or be sold on.
This is the same as I was thinking.

If you have the money to do the brake upgrade and you dont mind the fact that your car will go slower and accelerate slower still then go for it for deffinate! Dont rule out the option of different discs and pads first though, as you really would be suprised by the difference it makes.
Thanks for your advice. I have been looking at many options. How much was your setup from awesome? are they the same size disc as the oem 1.6 ones? I guess you used your existing caliper carriers and just upgraded the discs/pads.

You can't really see the brake setup behind my a8's. I'm purely planning this upgrade for stopping power and not looks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Cost me ?375 for the pads and discs all round plus about ?100 fitting. I opted for the slightly longer life Strada pad that they do, but the Rallye pads that they do will offer even more stopping power but last abit less time.

I honestly think that this is a better option than having larger discs as I am sure the stopping power from those will be the same kind of power if not more than you will get from a standard setup on something like a 1.8T. Everyone who has been in my car with me and felt the power of the brakes have said that they are amazing. The whole idea of brakes is to transfer movement (kinetic energy) into thermal energy, basically no form of energy can just disappear but it can only be transfered. The whole idea of drilling and grooving a disc is to allow the gasses created under braking to dissapate and get rid of the heat quick.

DONT be tempted by cheaper drilled and grooved discs as with drilling any metal it will weaken it and in something like a disc brake you dont want it cracking under hard braking and with cheaper discs the metal will not be very good and is very likely to crack and you dont want to even think of what would happen if the disc cracks when you apply the brake at any speed, could cause the wheel to lock up??

I have being suprised at the pad life aswell, I have been running the discs now for about 8000miles with alot of hard braking and fairly quick driving and the pads havent really shown any sign of going down. If you do decide to go down the route of getting bigger discs though, let me know how much the hubs etc will cost as it may be something that I might look at doing at somepoint in time, but mainly for the looks of the porsche brakes as I think that they look unreal behind the anni rims.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Also forgot to add, yeah the discs are the same size as the OEM ones and they were a direct replacement. Not to sure about the insurance side of things though....guess it does count as a mod but wether or not the insurance would notice drilled and grooved discs I am not sure?? I personally would declare them, but I think you could get away with declaring them. What does everyone else think??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts