Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I went to a local VW dealer earlier today, hoping to view a 2010 SE trim Mk6 Golf. They had none immediately available, but did show me a GT spec. I knew pretty much straight away that it wouldn't be the car for me, but having never actually driven a Golf before, I took it for a spin. And it was lovely.

It was clear that the sales guy was trying to talk up the GT, and I asked if the standard steering wheel on SE trims can be upgraded to multi-funciton or leather after they leave the factory (as I'd much prefer the leather steering wheel on an SE) and he told me it wasn't possible. I found this kinda strange: surely a VW service department could do such a job pretty easily, no?

Having seen the wheels available on eBay, I know you can buy them as spare parts. So, my question for you (much) more knowledgeable folk, is simple: was the sales guy right or wrong?

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can retrofit the multifunction wheel...

Iv got a mk6 one in my mk5. You will have to change other parts aswell as the wheel for the buttons to work though and obviously code it with VCDS.

Hers mine

Posted Image

I changed the standard blue back lighting in the instrument cluster to white like the mk6's too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A MFSW can be added to the mk6, the sales guy obviously doesn't know much

I have a MK6 Mfsw in my 2004 car

Make sure you get someone who know what they are doing as some Mk6 golfs will have the older 1k0 steering control modules

And the newer ones will have 5K0 steering control modules

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I picked up a Jetta brochure whilst I was there (the Mk5) and noticed that the SE Jetta comes with a (non multifunction) 3-spoke wheel that's pretty much the same as the Mk6 S/SE Golf, except in leather:

So, I assume that's a VERY straightforward swap, as there are no cables to worry about for the media buttons etc? Are these available to buy direct from VW somewhere?

Sorry for what are pretty basic questions!

Phil

·
Registered
211 Posts
The swap is straight forward.....if you know what your doing.

You'll need a new wheel, airbag wiring loom and possibly (but probably) a new steering controller then it will need coding with someone with VCDS.

I'd get someone to scan your car first to find out what steering controller you have fitted and go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. As it happens, I went to see a 6 month-old Match on Saturday, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. So I'll be getting a multifunction steering wheel after all!!

To say I'm excited about picking the car up is something of an understatement!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perhaps bitten off more than i can chew!

I have an Eos 2.0TFsi 200ps sport.DSG midline, 2007my.
It all started with an upgraded head unit from rcd300 to rcd510. With this a power drain issue started. I resolved this with an updated CAN bus unit.

I then decided i wanted to attempt an mk6 mfsw with padle . After doing a fair bit of research i established that i would need upgrade the MFSW module aswell. I have now installed the new 549-CH modual and it works great even with the padle shift.

Now the issues... first seems to be around the coding. The car was always understeering at some slow speeds. New tires, alinement and still same issue. (This was before the new mfsw)

Now fitted the steering is very light at 65+ and the ESP starts to flash. Feels horrible.

Ive completed the G85 but intend on setting the G200 and G201 this morning to see if any better.

I have checked the ABS settings and the code doesn't seem to match the standard eos 0000096 output. Not much knowledge here... even where to find the factory code on a plate?

The next and less important issue is the cruise control. Working fine before the swap but now no dash light. I checked the coding and its set to option 3 - 4 point cruise control on ticker stalk. It just throws back an error. If i 0/zero it out from the mfsw code them no error but equally not working. Tested it ignoring dash light not being on but no luck. Anyone else have this issue? Could the 549-CH modual have a fault?

So parts of this may sound like i know what im doing but im pretty stuck with basic coding knowledge.

Can anyone help? Would very much appreciate it.

Kind regards
Danny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts