Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally made the decision to stop getting back street garages to look at my leaky turbo and spend some wedge!

NS racing ( www.nsracing.com ) have promised the following

KO4 Turbo, fuel injectors, Milltek downpipe, and 100cell sportscats, DV valve & management.

So, its in there now, being worked on as we speak. 10 day fitting time, looking forward to getting it back with an estimated output of 240bhp :) - will keep everyone informed of the progress.

I had booked the car with JBS auto designs for the JBS04 turbo conversion, but they were out of stock..

wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, i thought with the ko4 it would be more like 260-270bhp as the ko3s can make 230-240
They have said that it will be a 'safe 240bhp' so im assuming that if i have more money to get the front mounted intercooler etc, then the turbo has more scope. - who knows! - ill wait to see the Dyno print out.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sounds good, i thought with the ko4 it would be more like 260-270bhp as the ko3s can make 230-240
Depends on the KO4.... as there is a KO4 made to bolt on the 18T but this is different to the TT/S3 KO4 and different again from the JB04/AM04 hybrids that are doing the rounds. The standard KO4 will only flow enough for around the 240hp mark, the TT/S3 senario needs a different setup mani/DP etc, the hybrids are based on the TT/S3 chargers utilizing the KO3S hot side with the TT/S3 compressor, some tuners actually prefere using the KO3s in this setup. To hit the 260hp+ area you need to use the TT/S3 or Hybrid solution.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've gone with a similar setup on my golf but using the ko4 from a tt, so having to get a modified downpipe made. Not been rolling roaded yet but from vag com readings looking around 270bhp.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another update....

They will now be supplying a KO3 housing (so that it fits on the std manifold and uses the Milltek downpipe) with RS6 internals. The unit will be able to support 320HP without any problem. On this occassion, they are aiming for 250HP, we may have issues with the fuel pump and charge air temperature(due to the Intercooler).

Sounds a little nicer... and oops.. ive been bitten by the 'upgrade-bug'

320bhp.. with FWD hmm... anyone tried to fit 4motion running gear to a 1.8T :-D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Erm ko3 shaved to fit RS6 internals.... supporting 320 bhp? Well I never...

It may support it for about 3 seconds before the shaft is shattered by the wheel. No offence but if it could be done it would have already been done, and be bloody popular! The hybrid KO4 is about the limit of the ko3 shaft and even then when you want to push that its getting VERY close to blowing. 320 BHP is a fantasty ... Albeit one we all cream of, I dont see it becoming a reality on the KO3

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Erm ko3 shaved to fit RS6 internals.... supporting 320 bhp? Well I never...

It may support it for about 3 seconds before the shaft is shattered by the wheel. No offence but if it could be done it would have already been done, and be bloody popular! The hybrid KO4 is about the limit of the ko3 shaft and even then when you want to push that its getting VERY close to blowing. 320 BHP is a fantasty ... Albeit one we all cream of, I dont see it becoming a reality on the KO3
i am mearly repeating what they are telling me, tbh id be happy with the original quoted 230bhp! - we will have to wait and see what happens..

all works is covered under a years warranty if the worst comes to the worst :eek:)

remember, its gonna have 250bhp on its return to me, to get it upto 320 it may involve some fairly LARGE upgrades to the rest of the lump.

15th december is when i get the car back, and rest assured, ALL feedback, good or bad will be put here, along with dyno printouts for all to see :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Fair enough... I wasn't trying to shoot you down personally mate. I realise you will be relaying the information back. I'm just saying the KO3 housing will not support anywhere near the estimated 320 bhp, regardless of the type of compressor wheel used.

I hope you're happy with whatever you get and would be highly interested into any insights. Its certainly an interesting topic so keep us posted please..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I would be interested in seeing/hearing the results too.

FYI, my mate has a K03s Ibiza with 252bhp. He had 238bhp with a 2.5" downpipe and stock mani, but gained 14bhp with a 3" downpipe and uprated exhaust mani. There are a few K03s 1.8T's making 250bhp now.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A huge string of problems longer than a 'Goverment guide to extra things to tax motorists for'

i wont go into detail, but its apparently ALL sorted now, going back to superchips for some final adjustments and that all important Dyno printout :)

THIS saturday its ready. apparently...

Fingers crossed. I havent driven the damn thing since September :(

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Disaster [:mad:] - Car pops a head-gaskett after being on the dyno :(

good news, it managed a 'safe' 241bhp (more cooling needed to safely increase output further) before it popped.

Head will now have to be removed... seems like an ideal time to have the ports enlarged and maybe gasflowed too? :)

Will know more wednesday. As ever.. click on the signature link to take you straight to the updated blog...

·
Registered
89 Posts
this whole thing sounds like a lie to me if you had a cupra engine it would of had a ko3s on it already and wrong ecu map for the engine code?? plus agu engines dont have map sensors as stated on your site and before you say its a seat engine the map sensor aint on the engine .think somone is telling porkys either YOU or the ns racing which when you do a search the is no rs6 turbo kits

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tbh, the details dont concern me. i have paid no money so far, and the car was broken when they picked it up. So, whatever is wrong with it, whatever they have to do, whatever infomaton im given, it doesnt concern me at this stage.

If when it comes to collecting the car it comes back working, and with a nice dyno printout then im gonna be pleased as punch :)

If it doesnt, THEN its time for a can of woopass.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts