Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MkIV Golf (Early) 1999 and need to replace my brakes (discs & pads, front & rear). I am perfectly happy with my existing standard alloy wheels so I will be unable to significantly upgrade the system but was wondering if any one could recommend discs and pads that could directly replace my OEM parts??<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Many thanks...<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RJH.. I've had a quick look and I right in saying that its only the front discs & pads available?

If I'm not doing a full conversion does that mean I just upgrade the rear with OEM parts?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've just checked, BBT do actually do all four even if they're not all listed! [Y]

As far as i know these prices EXCLUDE VAT!

Black Diamond Discs.. Cross drilled and grooved discs (pairs) : Fronts from ?74.95, rears from ?89.95

Black Diamond Pads.. (Per set) from ?29.95, rears from ?39.95

And finally Pagid fast road pads from ?24.95...

Hope that helps you! [;)]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, that?s fantastic...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

So where did you get the prices from? was I just a little thick and missed it?<o:p></o:p>

In your opinion do you think they are worth the money?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, last message was me... just forgot to log my brother off first (dooh!)

Time to go to bed

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That i can't say, i'm still running stock discs and pads on mine at the moment, but when i do upgrade, i'll be going the whole hog and getting some proper stoppa's!! Just haven't made my mind up which yet! [:|]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to do the same myself but money is always the issue. I still have about ?2000 worth of work before I even start getting into the performance side of it. Never mind I always wanted a project car to work on, and I've certainly got that. It's strange that this is the worst car I have ever had regarding its functional issues and with all the money I need to spend on it, but it is the car I love the most... Weird!!

Anyway thanks for the advice I'm going to phone up VW now and compare the cost of OEM parts to try and justify the outlay..

Cheers

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got prices from VW dealers:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Discs (Front / Rear): ?34.80 / ?29.38 inc VAT<o:p></o:p>

Pads (Front / Rear): ?38.78 / ?25.39 inc VAT<o:p></o:p>

Total = ?128.35<o:p></o:p>

To purchase Black Diamond Discs & Pads:<o:p></o:p>

Discs (Front / Rear): ?124.95 / ?99.95 inc VAT<o:p></o:p>

Pads (Front / Rear): ?60.00 / ?40.00 inc VAT<o:p></o:p>

Total = ?324.90<o:p></o:p>

Before I consider going ahead and purchasing the Black Diamond products it would be nice to here of people that have some good reports of an increase in braking performance or product life compared with the OEM parts. It is a lot to spend over the odds for a small improvement as I can imagine you all will understand...<o:p></o:p>

Thanks fro any assistance with my dilemma..<o:p></o:p>

Luke

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a GTTDI 110BHP Early 1999... I really don't understand that price then... I would love to go for some 312mm but I would need to invest in some larger alloys as I still only have the standard 15" rims..

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
aaaha!

thats out of the question then!!

suppose you may need some more grip (ie larger alloys - 16s?) with the torque your going to get after a few tweaks?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have heard it said but still not 100% convinced that 16" will increase the grip on the road... Are speaking from experience (not being funny, just interested) have you obtained a noticeable difference increasing the rim diameter. I used to have 17" on my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Toyota</st1:place></st1:City> and the ride quality was effected a little, it became a bit crashier (is there such a word !).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Would you think its worth going for the black diamond Discs and pads when considering the cost difference in your opinion?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks,<o:p></o:p>

Luke

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As has been said check your calipers - if they've got FS-III stamped in the metal then they cannot be changed for the 312s without changing the hubs and they need 16"s as a minimum.

If you're on a budget you don't need expensive discs to get decent braking, good pads (Pagid/Mintex/Ferodo) on OEM discs will give a huge improvement over stock stuff.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
16"s will improve the handling as well as firming it up slightly, the reduced sidewall flex amongst other factors generally improves things.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts