Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know and some may not, when you opt to do a university course you have the option on your third year of doing an industrial placement to further the skills etc that you've learnt in the previous two years. That time is rapidly approaching me and after a solid 6months of hunting, applying, and rejections I turn to you all for advice, hints, and possibly contacts.

I know that as an undergraduate there isn't much that I can offer an employer, but I just need that one break to let me into the working world again! (Sometimes I wish I'd stayed working and not gone to uni!) My A-Levels are getting in the way tbh, they aren't very good and don't plaint a very impressive picture of my work ethic, so I decided that I'd suit up and visit the local places in person as you get much more of an insight into talking to someone for 5minutes that a 2000 word email for argument sake.

So basically, I wanted a rant, but more importantly I need advice and tips. Am I missing something totally obvious?

Go for it!

Thanks all,

Charlie

·
Registered
132 Posts
What sort of industry are you looking to get into?

Might be worth offering services for free for a couple of days/week or so; just to get your foot in the door. Once you are there, you can ask more about the possibility of getting back in for a longer placement.

A face to face conversation, suited and booted always goes a long way to building the right sort of relationship too. HR people will have hundreds of emails/letters like this a week; so it's almost worth turning up and take a punt at trying to speak to someone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea see that's what i thought. Its so easy for someone to delete the email, or for it to go the junk file and never get looked at. In person its harder for them to send you away without offering you a cuppa at least!

Electrical engineering, ideally automotive but open to ideas and suggestions. the course im studying allows me to cover everything from computer processors to super scalar power stations etc.

I have also looked down that line, however the university advise against doing that as when you sign up for a placement, you get £300 for the whole year in loans etc as they assume that you will be working full time and earning a wage. The university bursary wont subsidise it either, which means getting a second job (already got one atm) to pay rent, food, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts