Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently just bought a Road Angel Compact to replace my RA Classic (us Golf owners gotta have blue backlights![:D]).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

My rationale was that the old RA subscription was long expired and would cost me a few quid to renew ? I contacted 20Valve and he had a unit left from the last GB, so for a favourable price it was mine. I arranged to sell my old one to a mate.

<o:p> </o:p>

I have registered it and downloaded the latest updates.

Problems so far;

1. Switch on and the voice that should say ?Road Angel? (some say it?s Tiff?) is just pure distortion. So maybe there?s a problem with the speaker.
  2. I want to hard-wire it. This is more difficult than for the old unit as it needs a 5v supply not 12v. This means either rigging up a special supply, or fitting the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>USB</st1:stockticker>>lighter adapter (which converts 12v to5v) into a separate cigar lighter, all under the dash.
  3. It takes an age to boot up. The first time I used it, it took the 45 minutes the manual warns you about. However on my trip to work this morning, which took me 50 minutes, it didn?t find a signal. At this rate, most journeys won?t be getting the assistance of the Road Angel.
  4. If I hard-wire it, I will choose to leave it on dash most of the time unless parked in risky areas. If it is on a permanent power circuit it will say lit up 100% of the time, attracting unnecessary attention. If it?s on an ignition circuit it will take ages to power up. What is preferable and is there another solution?

So all told, I?m a little cool about my latest purchase.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had one didnt rate it sold it!

I have TOM TOM now with speed camera database its just as effective!! picks up everything barr Mobile Cameras and Road Angel doesnt save you from Mobile lazer either! My mate has RA2 and his went off when he was lazered (he has detectors on his front bumper and dash) but by the time it warned him and he applied the breaks from 90 mph to 70 mph he had a ticket through for doing 85mph in a 70!!

So as far as im concerned RA's are a waste of money, get SAT NAV with speed camera database and you will get more use from it at a similar cost

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm I've got OEM SatNav no speed database available![:(]

I'm not bothered about laser detection - which is why I didn't go for RA2.

·
Registered
94 Posts
RA2 won't pick up lasers anyway, unless they're pointing directly at the unit by which time it is too late, as proved by the above comment. Mine was well slow to work when first had it so sent it back to blackspot and they had look and was better afterwards. Think the batteries take a bit of time to settle in.

My RA has saved my bacon on fixed cams so many times that it is worth the bunts any day of the week. Tiff always sounds distorted - wouldn't worry bout that. Prob would've been best off sticking with the classic, my old man's still got his and does the job just as well as mine.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have the same problems with my road angel 2, (non compact version) too james.  I took it an hour and five minutes before it picked up any satellites the other day.  However, I hadn't used it in a good while.  I think it helps if you run them regularly.  I also haven't updated it in about a year.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Some useful comments there for me as I have just been looking at RA Compact, Origin b2 amd RoadPilot MicroGo for the past 30 minutes or so.  I'm not wild about any of them as I would really like to site the display down in the centre console between the diagnostic socket and the ashtray.  Have had a remote display down there from my Valentine One for a couple of years now and it works well for me.  Makes it quite stealthy and reduces the need to remove it from the car every time.  I'm now investigating whether I could bury anything below the ashtray sliding cover so it would just be a matter of sliding the cover back in place to hide it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Save some cash guys - Talex lite ?39.99 from kwiksave/somerfield. Tests show the database is as good as (if not better than) the more expensive detectors.[8-|]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Highly recommend the RoadPilot stuff - the new one comes with a multi colour display

Had mine about 2.5 yrs and just had first problem with it - in process of returning for repair - seems as long as you subscribe they will warranty your device...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Some useful comments there for me as I have just been looking at RA Compact, Origin b2 amd RoadPilot MicroGo for the past 30 minutes or so. I'm not wild about any of them as I would really like to site the display down in the centre console between the diagnostic socket and the ashtray. Have had a remote display down there from my Valentine One for a couple of years now and it works well for me. Makes it quite stealthy and reduces the need to remove it from the car every time. I'm now investigating whether I could bury anything below the ashtray sliding cover so it would just be a matter of sliding the cover back in place to hide it.
I'm sure someone sited their road angel in the empty cd player slot.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Was wondering about that too but have also been considering an MFD.  TBH I'm getting fed up looking at gadgets at the moment (MFD, iPod, Phatnoise and these things).  All seem to have one issue or another that makes them less than 100% ideal.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was wondering about that too but have also been considering an MFD. TBH I'm getting fed up looking at gadgets at the moment (MFD, iPod, Phatnoise and these things). All seem to have one issue or another that makes them less than 100% ideal.
LOL I know what you mean. If its any use I've combined MFD with iPod/Dension, additional amplifiers and Bluetooth phone kit, and I think on the whole its a great setup. If you want to know my views on the pros and cons then let me know.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I may well take you up on that in a couple of weeks thanks James. I'm just a bit down about the whole ICE thing at the moment because I'm starting to feel that I'd like to just buy kit that all inter-connects and works without having to do loads of research and/or fiddling and then still have to compromise on the functionality. Stuff like having track titles etc displaying on the MFD screen as opposed to just track 1 or whatever it does. Nothing major, just me feeling that in 2006 we should have got past issues like that. Think I need a good night's sleep and everything will look better in the morning. [:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Save some cash guys - Talex lite ?39.99 from kwiksave/somerfield. Tests show the database is as good as (if not better than) the more expensive detectors.[8-|]
Are you sure that price is correct mate? Thought they were about twice that! I'm actually thinking of giving that one a go now you've pointed it out. It's not the most attractive one but I can probably make use of it in another car if I it doesn't work out in the Golf. BTW, just noticed you're from Dudley. Small world, that's where I work.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Assuming that the you are mounting the RA (compact) ontop of the Dash
(so the aerial can view GPS correctly), then it shouldn't take more
than a few seconds to gain Sat Lock (excluding the first intial use
from factory/and or if it's been a long time since u last used it as
the RA needs to calculate where it is)

I'd say that there is a fault with the unit, and send it back to RA for a warrenty issue.

My first Origin B2 would take ages and ages to find SatLock - sometimes
never (like your current problem). The guys are Origin initially
told me it was the cradle and aerial, which they changed for me.
This didn't cure the problem, so they exchanged the actual B2 over, and
it solved the problem immediatly! It's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep I?ve concluded its definitely faulty. It?s still not getting a signal for over an hour, and only after I leave the car parked up with the device on.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Even when it does work it drops out often and for lengthy periods. Also, my highest recorded speed has been 738mph which not only beats your R32 Gti, it also beats Richard Noble.

Plus, the sound is still unintelligible.

Having given it a chance to sort itself out I?m not going to contact Blackspot and ask them to address the problem. As it stands its completely unfit for purpose.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
** Update **

Phoned Blackspot a cople of days ago, the problems having not rectified; explained problem to a helpful girl who transferred me to the technical team. He listenened to my description of the faults and then arranged for a courier to deliver me a replacement unit within 2 days. The courier took the old unit away. I retained the original packaging and accessories, just like the mobile phone companies do.

The new unit arrived today pre-registered to me and it works just fine. It gets a GPS lock quickly and doesn't drop out. Updated on the PC no problem.

So full marks to Blackspot for replacing the faulty unit with a minimum of fuss. Customer confidence restored. Just need to hard-wire it now.[:)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Also, my highest recorded speed has been 738mph which not only beats your R32 Gti, it also beats Richard Noble.

that did make me chuckle.. "It also beats richard noble" - "Land speed record broken by diesel golf !"

Glad it's all sorted now J.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts