Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Better weather is coming so it's time to get the gearbox off the 1.6

Started having a look about and general stuff, had ago at undoing the star bolts on the start at the gearbox and it's not budging (foot brake is pressed)
There's not much room for movement under the car
Any tips/trcisk people have to undo these without ruining the heads or my hands?

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Passenger side all off

Drivers side, 2 bolts won't budge and the heads and wrecked now, think of grinding off but means undoing exhaust bits and thats a pain, any tips on getting off?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
they arent hex heads chris are they? mine are spline bits, not sure on the size but when I wrecked one I just hammered the next size up into it and got an extension on it as you said above, its also best done one at a time and reposition the joint after each one so you have maximum clearance

shouldnt actually be that tight tbh, the CV joint grease inevitably gets on them when you fit them so usually come out easy.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
in that case if its mullered either hammer a hex headed (alan key) bit or the next size up spline bit.

and give it welly.

I love my snap on wrench, its a wrench but it takes the punishment, no need to swap over to a bar, just swing off the wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts