with a caller ID and another extension for the Sky+ so I have 3 things
coming out of the one socket. I have unplugged everything but the
phone, and put a filter on. It still flashes but a bit quicker. I have
filters that I have put on everything too and still I can't stop it
from flashing and connect to the internet. I still have my NTL
Broadband (Thank god) but at the moment I am paying for both. The
customer service at Ukonline are Cr4p I can never get through, and they
just get me to check the filters....what am I doing wrong please
someone, have mercy and help me out before I lose my mind!!

[:mad:]

·
Registered
472 Posts
either the modem part of the router is goosed or ukonline is goosed it sounds to me like your username and password might not be working

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Basics first, unplug everything else from the master socket and disconnect the extension, plug your filter in and ADSL router in (to the master socket) and see if you can get a connection. Then build it back up until it fails.

Always the best way get the basics working and then complicate it with other phones, extensions and SKY modems.

There is a BT test login and password you can use to see if it is just your ADSL account at fault but can't remember it. Either do a net search or hopefully someone else will butt in with it.

Paul

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were to do that I would need an ext for my router you see the PC
is uptairs and the main BT is downstairs. The current cable I have will
not go that far.

Would it be easier for me to get a second line?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Do what GTI says. Forget about your PC upstairs for now, the flashing DSL light is telling you it cant connect to the service. Once that is constant, its connected to the service and you will be able to use broadband. All you want to concentrate on for now is getting a connection then plugging things in 1 by 1 from there to see whats causing the problem.

How did john take the extension upstairs? Did he split the wire from downstairs as this can cause problems.

I went to someones house where they had a DSL connection but when they were on the internet, no one could ring in, BT didnt have a clue, another engineer didnt have a clue, no one had a clue and she tried me out of desperation, 2 minutes in the computer room and people could ring in while they were on the internet! They had a splitter in the wall for the broadband, and in that splitter was the old modem cable running into the computer, taking that out cured the problem.

So its really stupid things that can upset it. My main concern at the moment is what John did with the extension. If he physically seperated and hacked into the main line, that could have effected it. He was doing fine at the time, broadband probably wasnt around, but its very sensitive!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Graham I think you are right, as I have thought all along that this
MUST be the problem. I am not sure where to go now as BT want ?110 for
an ext and ?70 for a second line. The latter sounds better but I have
to get Uk online to take off the adsl on my exsisting line and then BT
will be able to order a second line then I will have to get Ukonline to
put adsl on the second line....its just a nightmare. But I will do my
best to try what you all suggest, as I have said my problem now is I
cant get the router to reach to main BT socket. Its just been so much
hassle....and Ukonline Customer Servoce leaves a lot to be desired
thats if you can get through. And I have had no reply to the 10 emails
I have sent them....just had enough at the min....will let you knwo how
I get on tho.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You say its a wireless router, yes? If so, just pick the thing up and take it to the master socket. You don't need your PC involved to test that the light continues flashing or stays on. All you need is power. So you can literally take it to the socket, take everything in the house out of the telephone sockets and try that. If it continues flashing its either that router, or the phone extension you already have.

UKonline or wheoevr makes no difference to a router, as long as it can pick up an ASDL signal it dont care who your with.

At the moment, the problem your having is the router cannot find the ADSL signal.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Exactly what Graham says, the wireless router doesnt need to be upstairs at all.... the signal should travel far enuff for your internet to work, even if you leave the wireless router plugged into the master socket...

The rule for ADSL routers is simple..... if your light is flashing something is wrong, it means the ADSL signal isnt reaching the router, or it is intermitant. Once you get the solid green light, you can start playing about with the router settings to configure it to your ISP.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My suggestion was for diagnosing where your problem lies. You mention a Laptop, can you not do what I suggest and use the Laptop downstairs just to get the connection working ?

Once you have it working you then re-add phones and Sky boxes one by one until you find your problem. I'd do it this way :-

1. Router downstairs in the master socket with the extension and everything else disconnected and just a filter between it and the line.

2. Once you have it working OK in step 1 then re-connect the extension only and try the router upstairs, if that doesn't work it is your extension wiring. If it does work it is one of the phones / SKY box that you have on the master socket.

If it doesn't work on its own in the master socket, it is either a BT issue (line ADSL activation etc) or a problem with your Router config / UKOnline Account, there is a BT test login and account that you can use to rule out your UKOnline Account.

Hope that helps.

Paul

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Paul!! Stop confusing the situation! [:p]

What your saying is exactly right, but the laptop does not need to be downstairs, only thing that needs to be plugged into the master socket and powered on via the mains plug is the router to see if that light stops flashing [:)]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I think we may of sourced the fault. Our ext upstairs was taken from
the main BT socket orignally. This was disconnected and we have since
just put a "plug in" ext upstairs(as sky were on our backs for not
having our box hooked to phone line) now this was meant to be
rectified but has been forgotton. Hence why I am probably not picking
up the Adsl. John will be redoing the ext again as it was previously
(taken from within the BT main) and will be getting rid of the plug in
one. I am hoping this will rectify the fault, TBH I can't really see
what else it can be as I have troubleshooted everything else. I still
have to take the Router down to the main socket and test that. And when
I do this it should reconfirm my thoughts..... I have also spoken to
Ukonline and they confirm my router is ok and that the problem lies
within the phone set up. BT say that the adsl is active on my line, and to check my sockets.

Thanks guys for all your help, I knew it had to be something right
under my nose, a case of couldn't see the wood for the trees..... will
let you know how it goes and fingers crossed thats all it is.

[:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Katy, all you need to do is take ALL extensions and all phones etc out of any phone lines in your house. Then put a splitter into the master socket and then put the router into that. if it works, eliminate the problem from there.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Katy, all you need to do is take ALL
extensions and all phones etc out of any phone lines in your house.
Then put a splitter into the master socket and then put the router into
that. if it works, eliminate the problem from there.
Right will let John know and give it a whirl....getting there me thinks! Cheers G

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
ADSLGuide have a useful forum, but take the UKO whinges with a pinch of salt.

0800 053 3222 is a FREE contact number for UKOnline - use this, not the 0845 number.

I've answered a few of these threads recently, and every time it's turned out to be dodgy wiring!

When you try and attach the router top the master socket, remove the faceplate and connect to the socket you will find in there. That will disconnect all your building wiring and leave only the BT wires.

The "plug in" extension kits are not a good idea - the wires used in these are typically not twisted-pair, which means there's no noise cancelling. OK for voice, OK-ish for a modem, not good for ADSL.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Paul!! Stop confusing the situation! [:p]

What your saying is exactly right, but the laptop does not need to be downstairs, only thing that needs to be plugged into the master socket and powered on via the mains plug is the router to see if that light stops flashing [:)]
Hey I'd even run the Laptop -> router connection on a cable until I was sure the basics i.e. ADSL is working. I always sit back and take something to its most basic form and build up [;)] - but hey that is the way my old engineering manager taught me when I was an 18year old spotty trainee Service Engineer, it's always worked for me. [:D]

Sounds like you may have found the problem Katy which is great.

Paul

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ADSLGuide have a useful forum, but take the UKO whinges with a pinch of salt.

0800 053 3222 is a FREE contact number for UKOnline - use this, not the 0845 number.

I've answered a few of these threads recently, and every time it's turned out to be dodgy wiring!

When you try and attach the router top the master socket, remove the
faceplate and connect to the socket you will find in there. That will
disconnect all your building wiring and leave only the BT wires.

The "plug in" extension kits are not a good idea - the wires used in
these are typically not twisted-pair, which means there's no noise
cancelling. OK for voice, OK-ish for a modem, not good for ADSL.
Thats fab! Could of done with that a while ago...spent a fortune calling them so far. Your a star! Cheers

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just in case you fancy something a bit cleaner on your master BT socket....

clicky

Two connections on the faceplate - one to plug your router/ADSL modem into and one for the phone/double phone socket etc.

It has an ADSL filter built in and allows an extension to be connected to the rear of the unit - this will be a filtered extension (i.e. no need for a microfilter). You can get a dual socket from the above link for your extension, so if you plan to keep your router upstairs you have the same setup as downstairs, one socket for you router/ADSL modem and one for you phone.

I've got one fitted at home - looks tidier - no microfilters dangling out of the BT sockets [:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts