Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a suggestion, in the next version of the forum software would it be possible to have a chat room area where member can chat between themselves. Keeps build thread etc more topic-focused than having chat room style conversations, not saying banter should stop completely. Members who want to get into conversation can jump into the chat room. I know the R320C have a shout box, that works well, what about something like that

That's my opinion. I think it would work really well. I know there's tools like MSM for chatting between groups of firends etc but sometimes members feel they want to chat and share with wide audience of forum members. This will be good for our virtual community.

This will get rid of the feelings certain members have of groupies or cliques forming, because anyone can jump into the conversations. I think it will be a good laugh between members, moderating might be difficult, we could have a number of post before members start posting.

The reason this trigger in mind was the Hamidi quoted Gary Cundliffe in his signature.

"As some of you may understand there are
groups of friends that have met via this forum. Seems some of you refer
to it as groupies or cliques from time to time but the top and bottom of
it is that we are a group of friends. We see each other outside of this
virtual world and the stuff we do sometimes has nothing to do with
cars. Friends on a more personal level"

Clearly this is my general view, not aimed at anyone, Hamidi found a cracking quote [Y]. Looking at it impartially there's always two sides, question is why do certain members feeling that way, my general feeling is we sometime treat threads as chat room between friends, having topics not revelant to the thread or not making any sense to others, other hand you could say certain members are jealous of your friendship with others. I've been around long enough wouldn't say it's the latter. I've made some good friends on the forum and others wouldn't give the time of day.

That's where the chatroom will help, stop friends using build thread for example for chatting about topic that are not revelant to others but to themselves, we're all guilty of do this at times.

What do you guys think? Please don't read to much into it, think about the concept.

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
wouldnt mind this ray. i cant remember who it was, but there was another member that once stared a temp on in the pillow talk thread lol (i started that thread as a place to chat everything off topic, might go find it and bump it)

but we later realised that its not always the case that everyone you know is actually online at the same time or free to chat at the very same moment. so everyone does kinda find it slightly easier to keep all the talk in one place where we know the other member/s will defo see it. and all you have to do is post a comment and leave it there for whenever and you'll still get a reply in a good few hours after.

but if we could have a "who's online" chat running online along side the forum. it'll be good.

good point you've made about the moderating as things will have to be moderated at all times to stop foul language, hate, advertising etc. mods might hate us for this, they've got a tough time as it is [:DD]

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
We could also run a Teamspeak 3 server for VOIP chat? Theyre only £2 a month for 20odd slot servers. I personally wouldnt mind paying if people are going to use it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Great great great idea! I remember when i used to go on the unnoficial late night chat from the people who was on here later than 12pm. Good Times!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
CLICK THE BOTTOM RED LINK IN MY SIG!

irc servers FTW!! job done! now to remember all the scripts i used to write!

on a serious note if people want this im happy to run it, i have ample bots etc from the pirate days. i just gotta find it all on 1 of my many hard drives. Forum admin, if you cool with this. (as u should be really) ill give you 100% admin right to do as you wish obviously. if you dont want it affiliated with the forum, ill de ukmkiv it and just run a seperate 1. no skin off my nose doing either. [Y]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CLICK THE BOTTOM RED LINK IN MY SIG!

irc servers FTW!! job done! now to remember all the scripts i used to write!

on a serious note if people want this im happy to run it, i have ample bots etc from the pirate days. i just gotta find it all on 1 of my many hard drives. Forum admin, if you cool with this. (as You should be really) ill give you 100% admin right to do as you wish obviously. if you dont want it affiliated with the forum, ill de ukmkiv it and just run a seperate 1. no skin off my nose doing either.
nice one mate [Y], shame I'm away this week and I've promised my wife I will not surf the web [cry], tbh we'll be busy with family etc.

early bump

what do the moderatiing team think ? it good to go.

could we maybe have a sticky in the louge for this

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD..... this new so called Chat portal has nothing to do with the Ukmkivs Trade mark / copy right. The only think with your name on it is a link to your forum. think of it as free advertising. I would also like to add that the rooms are modderated by myself and now timbOMFG. Any problems in there deal with us.

I have done this as a quick yeh look a chat room thing. its since turned into somthing very different now. Its like a MSN for car enthusiasts with different rooms. There are rooms from other forums as they love the concept. There is no OFFICIAL UKMKIVS ROOM as the mods and Admin do no want anything to do with it. (which is cool as they already do loads)

Im saying this all as i feel there was a bit of a misunderstanding as to what i was trying to do as some members of Admin kinda got the hump with the whole thing. It was an experimental feck about which has now turned into a funky little chart portal as many on here and the other forums that are on /going to be on there have already discussed.

I come in peace Mods, i aint trying to steal you baby!! i dont want it.. to many Errors!! lol <<<that was humour.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts