Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shiuming and I have mentioned this in passing but was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a mini-meet to take some photos around London? Im going to be doing this anyway (tripod ready for night shots). Shiuming, I know you have your reservations about difference in pace but lets see how it goes. It be good to compare techniques as well.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sounds like a plan [Y]

David, you don't drive, you walk! Having to drag a car around London is absolutely no fun at all [N]

What I do is just walk around snapping away for 5-6 hours though to be honest that's not very long, there's so much to absorb. I've got a spare battery now so I can do longer shoots.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I won't say deffo yes and let stuff down, but depending on when it's
done and when I'm working, I might have to see about getting a tripod
and coming to join you...

I think a shoot around London town at night would be awesome [y] [:)]

C

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I propose a Saturday or a Sunday so we can utilise the whole day without the bother of work commitments. Then we can meet early and shoot from morning/afternoon to evening and those of who have to leave early can. With the clock turned back now, it get dark earlier so we can capture the twilight before 5pm.

Its going to be informal and there be a lot of walking to different places. I think along the riverside is an excellent place to start. I deliberatly drove my car to Greenwich with a view to take some pics of the Dome but ended up taking a host of other pics instead walking all the way down to the Thames Barrier.

I've been going to various place just to take pictures, from Docklands, West End and to the various parks in London.

So a Saturday/Sunday sometime this month maybe?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
We could plan a route to pass by Tottenham Court Road to stock up on camera goodies [:)]

I would also suggest adding a few tourist highlights to capture, and lunch by the river outside the Tate Modern if the weather's good.

Maybe we can all set ourselves some targets, so we're not just wandering around completely without aim (although that is nice as well). I personally need to get some shots of the Lloyds building at night, and I'm interested in some of the architecture to be found in the city.

It definitely has to be a weekend, or you'll never get the time.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Eww you mean I'll have to get the train in? Ahh well sounds good
anyway! I think a meal would be good too, what do you think?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vedhead, you could drive to one part of London and park your car up. I would have said leave it at mine but I live quite far out anyway.

Heres an idea guys. I have a cousin who has an office in the docklands which has ample parking and on weekends its just dead quiet but still patrolled by a security guard. Its right opposite London Arena. So with some planning and so long as I let me cousin know, we could all leave our cars there and do the rest by foot.

Actually as he is in the Docklands, he is very near some of the great landmarks such as the Dome, Canary Wharf and great riverside views. Afterwards we can just take a DLR to Bank and do some of the financial district which is very quiet at weekends.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
RayB, this is sounding quite cool [:)]

I can take 2-3 extra cars at my place if I'm subtle about it, which is
2 mins from Southwark Tube. Shimiung's TCR idea is sound too -
the evening time would be pointless without a tripod, and as I'm not
sure atm what I'd need, going wiht some experts would be ace [:)]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
All of my night shots so far have been taken without a tripod [;)] I'm sure it'd make life easier though [:D] Perhaps I'm too lazy to lug one around...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I naturally have minor shakes when I'm holding anything, I can't take
shots even in the shade without them blurring to jiggery and back, so
if night stuff is to be done, I've gotta have one unfortunately [:(]

And the worst bit is, when doing photos or stuff like that, the more I concentrate, the worse the shakes become [;)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So guys, still interested in doing this? Cant make next this or next Saturday but how about 26th November?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Bump.

Sat 26 November is upon us soon.

Come on peeps, let's have a definitive list. I just had confirmation from my regular photography sidekick Matt that he'll be along (though trying to convince him to start earlier than 3pm! [:D]). Here are my ideas and suggestions, let's hear yours:

Let's all set ourselves some targets or assignments to do, in between random stuff. Possible themes:

• Architecture, famous or otherwise
  • Black cab shots (or transport in general)
  • Random street shots
  • Lighting (how it changes over the course of a day)

Places I'd like to include on the journey (we can split into groups if enough people join):

• Tate Modern
  • St Paul's
  • That Norman Foster building
  • Tower Bridge

People

• Rayban
  • Shiuming
  • Matt

Lunch

13:00 at the pub outside the Tate Modern

Tottenham Court Road diversion

There is one camera store in particular that I always take friends to when buying stuff. If a group of us visit and buy stuff, we'll get nice discounts. On-line prices, with the real world shopping experience [:)] We can discuss preliminary results over lunch, and make lists of goodies over beer. Then go buy 'em.

Dinner

18:00-ish: Anyone for a noodle bar or roast duck? [:p]

Evening shoot and into the early hours

Watch this space...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Shi, the Founders pub (ref'd above) is a truly awful pub, food is way
less than average and the beer is awful. If you want a better
one, go east on a five minute walk towards London Bridge and there's a
lovely pub called the Anchor - food is lovely, drink's good too.

Just some, erm, food for thought [;)]

C

1 - 20 of 28 Posts