Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas,

Seem to have a little problem, 3 times in the past week the Golf (1.9 TDi 150) seems to have lost it's turbo, drives fine to the point where I'd expect a bit of get up and go, and nothing. Then when I get back in it go either go to work or home from work, it's fine again.

Plugged in a U281 Memo Scanner, and it gave me error code 17964, when scanning the engine, and thanks to the brilliance of the maker, code 17964 isn't in the manual (bravo, really).

Google seems to yield no relevant results, anyone got any ideas?

Also, it keeps telling me the luggage compartment is open, it's not, I've opened and shut every door and the boot, and restarted the car, and still it maintains it's open. Something's not right.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The permenant boot open warning is lightly to be the microswitch in the boot playing up. Most likely caused by a leaky rear washer line/motor, which will no doubt soon lead to a dead motor.

VERY common on VAG platforms of this age.

Use search to find out more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey im not sure on your power loss but the boot warning is often caused by a common fault that the rear wiper leaks onto the catch which contains a micro switch. I had this issue was cured by replacing the boot catch. I believe it was about £20 from my local stealers

Ollie

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
17964/P1556 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation

Possible Symptoms

• Reduced power output
  • Limp mode

Possible Causes

• Boost Pressure too Low
  • Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
    • VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck
  • Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

Possible Solutions

• Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
    • Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts