Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help. Been looking for some tyres for a while and dont really want to spend alot does anyone know of any cheep tyres. Tyre size is 205/55/16. I know of some cheep tyres but they are 205/45/16 and i dont know if they will fit because of profile. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I recently got some Bridgestone Potenza Re 40's for £69 all in. I find u can't beat calling up local tyre places and haggling the price.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you tried any of the online places (mytyres.co.uk or blackcircles.co.uk for example)?

I've just picked up 4 205/55/16 Toyo Proxes T-1R for £55 each from mytyres.co.uk - I'm having them fitted on Friday at a local tyre place (but you can choose one of their authorised fitting centres instead for an extra £10). Free delivery too, to any UK mainland address so you can get them sent direct to the tyre fitters then just drive in and let them get to work.

They have 205/55/16's from about £40 if you want a really cheap set, but I'd never advise scrimping on tyres to be honest...

·
Registered
213 Posts
i have just gotsome tyres from blackcircles.co.uk, this is the second time i have used them..... i think they are good........

i just got some 205/55/16 Toyo Proxes T-1R aswell....... i hate the tyres they dont inspire confidence, i think the tyre walls are too soft, it sometimes feels like the back end is loose and reacts late......

i want my michelins back! i agree never go for the cheap ones.......

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had Toyo's before - never again!!!

Stick to

Pirelli, Goodyear Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin.

Anything else you get what you pay for. At the end of the day there's no point in skimping on the things that keep you in a car rather than a wheel chair.

Sorry to be blunt!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had Toyo's before - never again!!!

Stick to

Pirelli, Goodyear Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin.

Anything else you get what you pay for. At the end of the day there's no point in skimping on the things that keep you in a car rather than a wheel chair.

Sorry to be blunt!
i only bought the toyo's cos the review's said that they were good and close to a michelin..... ah well on the bright side they will wear out soon.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah I got conned like that.

Not sure who writes these reviews, but they are dog pooh

I had a set on a Zetec S , thought it would be good to try a puddle at speed to see how they went. Bit of advice - Don't try it!!!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thats why we have the forums!

First I had Michelin Pilot. Excellent in all conditions.

Now I have the Yokohama Parada. Bad in wet but excellent in dry!!! (Thanks God here in Greece we have 75% dry weather)

The next will be Continental SC2 or 3

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have just bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's from blackcircles for £58.10 each inc delivery. They did a price match on the price at mytyres. To get an extra 5% off, enter EMP001 in the promotion code box [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
LOL @ the Saxo boys with big TOYO stickers in their windows and on the bodywork and here they're getting a slating [:D]

Surely can't be that bad though? Thought they were a pretty major brand, obviously not as big as your Michelins and Good Years or whatever but OK?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I have just bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's from blackcircles for £58.10 each inc delivery.
What the crap?! [:O] What size was that? I've paid crazy money for new Conti SportContact 2s in 225/45 R17 at my local alloy wheel shop [:S]

·
Registered
440 Posts
I put Toyo T1R on my wifes Lupo GTI, only two makes available in that size (205x15x45) Dunlop or Toyo.

I find the tyres superb, excellent grip in the wet coming out of roundabouts and superb in the dry. The Dunlops were terrible.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My toyos were hurrendous. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I once bought a set of uniroyals - excellent in the wet & not too bad in dry - excellent choice for a winter tyre.

I've just bought some new 18's for the Golf - can I have some recommendations for tyres please? Are Firestone any good?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
BTW 205/45/16s will fit the same rims as the 205/55/16s are on. Its only a smaller sidewall. You'd have to replace all 4 tho to get them the same.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with cheap tyres as long as you dont push to ten tenths. Most budgets are more than up to everyday use including some abuse, and in most cases last longer and are half the price of premium stuff. Don't be fooled into thinking the more expensive they are the better they are, some 'budget' tyres actually get a better rating than these uber advanced top end stuff.

Also, my experience of Toyo Proxes is : Great in the dry, average in wet, look good and last OK. For the money, definately worth considering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just thought I'd ask... as i'm looking at getting 4 new tyres from black circles.....

I do a fair amount of motorway driving - so don't want anything that won't last long.... but blackcricles have dunlop sp2000E's on offer.... are they anygood or is it a case of spending a bit more and getting some Pirelli P6000's? Just got made redundant so can't afford to spend too much.....

Any thought's?

·
Registered
71 Posts
hello?................ anyone there?

OK......I've narrowed it down to either one of these 3:

Dunlop SP9000's

Continental Sport Contact 2's

Pirelli P7's

Someone out there's got to have used these - bear in mind that i do lots of motoway driving..... which one is better? I'm leaning towards the Dunlop's... but I still ain't sure....[:S]

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had Dunlop SP9000s on my MKIV GTI and thought they were an excellent tyre, a massive improvement on the Pirelli P6000, also seemed to be a lot less tyre noise which would be good for long motorway journeys.

I currently have the Continental Sport Contact 2's on the MKV GTI and they are also an excellent tyre, although I seem to be going through a front set every 10000 miles [:p]

I thought the Conti's would be a lot more expensive than the Dunlops.

Have never tried the P7's so can't comment.

I would probably go for the Dunlops. IMHO [Y]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts