Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very subjective thing but what are you shod with and what do you think of them

I have *Bridgestone Turanza and I really dont think they are that great, seem to have little grip and traction control kicking in with modest amounts of Torque applied. Mind you the dam things are hardly wearing at all after 8,000 miles (I presume this is from the lack of grip they give up).

Was thinking of going for Michelin Pilot Sport or Exaltos mabe Toyo T1-R if the budget does not stretch that far.

Another thing In the past I have put the new rubber on the back and the backs moved to the front (to get a better balance) is this why you guys do as well.

*Mind you I might be blinkered as I hate Ferrari so much[:mad:]

·
Registered
990 Posts
I use Bridgestone S03's, previously S02's, and won't put anything else on my car. The wear rate at the front is pretty high (appr 12000miles) but the upside is unbeatable wet weather performance and grip you won't believe.

Michelin's don't come close and aren't that good in the wet. ( I had Pilot Sports before the S02's).

Toyos are excellent in the dry, but they're not that good in the wet and the wear rate is also high.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't have anything too special... Kumho Ecsta Supras... they're meant
to be "as good as" Michelin Pilot Sports and this at least I can attest
to, they do provide a fair bit of road noise but it's nothing terrible
and the grip they provide is excellent, in all weather conditions.
They're also relatively cheap [:p] Not sure about wear on them yet,
I've only had them for a few thousand miles... I'm not sure what to do
when they wear out though, get another set of Kumhos or to go for
Goodyears. Don't like Bridgestones personally, had them on previously
on this car and the car I had before (Megane 2.0 Dynamique).

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Don't have anything too special... Kumho Ecsta Supras... they're meant to be "as good as" Michelin Pilot Sports and this at least I can attest to, they do provide a fair bit of road noise but it's nothing terrible and the grip they provide is excellent, in all weather conditions. They're also relatively cheap [:p] Not sure about wear on them yet, I've only had them for a few thousand miles... I'm not sure what to do when they wear out though, get another set of Kumhos or to go for Goodyears. Don't like Bridgestones personally, had them on previously on this car and the car I had before (Megane 2.0 Dynamique).
Awight Mr Q. As you do some fair miles i'd either go with another set of kumho's (i've heard they are reasonable), or perhaps some conti sport contacts ? I have good years and probably only do half the miles you do and they wear fairly quickly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another good source of info is the Auto Express tyre test where they ran a s election of different makes against each other.

The tyres were fairly mainstream and in average profiles but you might find it interesting.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
loving toyo t1s myself, thinking of getting falken fk451's next though - ?67.13 fitted !!!!!!!! bargain!!!! [:D]

·
Registered
94 Posts
FYI, my MkV GTi still has it's original tyres, now on 13,500 miles, and the fronts look about half-worn. If I get 20,000 miles out of a set of fronts, I'll be truly awed. 40+MPG, 20K on a set of tyres, 200BHP....HeHeHe.. it just gets better......

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't have anything too special... Kumho Ecsta Supras... they're meant to be "as good as" Michelin Pilot Sports and this at least I can attest to, they do provide a fair bit of road noise but it's nothing terrible and the grip they provide is excellent, in all weather conditions. They're also relatively cheap [:p] Not sure about wear on them yet, I've only had them for a few thousand miles... I'm not sure what to do when they wear out though, get another set of Kumhos or to go for Goodyears. Don't like Bridgestones personally, had them on previously on this car and the car I had before (Megane 2.0 Dynamique).
Awight Mr Q. As you do some fair miles i'd either go with another set of kumho's (i've heard they are reasonable), or perhaps some conti sport contacts ? I have good years and probably only do half the miles you do and they wear fairly quickly.
Hey dude, you alright? I used to run Sport Contacts on both my Megane and my GTI (MkV with 18's come with 'em) but the Kumho ones just feel and grip better (could also be something to do with the lighter rims). I've done about 24k miles in one year of ownership, and my Contis were just about worn out when I got the new wheels done (at about 18-19k miles, I forget exactly how much). If you're saying Goodyears wear out faster they may not be the best choice for me as you say! I will investigate further closer to the time [:p] maybe look at some Toyos or something...

·
Registered
471 Posts
FYI, my MkV GTi still has it's original tyres, now on 13,500 miles, and the fronts look about half-worn. If I get 20,000 miles out of a set of fronts, I'll be truly awed. 40+MPG, 20K on a set of tyres, 200BHP....HeHeHe.. it just gets better......
Don't know about the Bridgestones you get with the 17" wheels, but if you've got 18" wheels they tyres are more than likely Continental SportContact 2s and mine lasted about 18k miles or so... so you're not too far off with your estimate [;)] and the car is a bit good, isn't it? [:p]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hey dude, you alright? I used to run Sport Contacts on both my Megane and my GTI (MkV with 18's come with 'em) but the Kumho ones just feel and grip better (could also be something to do with the lighter rims). I've done about 24k miles in one year of ownership, and my Contis were just about worn out when I got the new wheels done (at about 18-19k miles, I forget exactly how much). If you're saying Goodyears wear out faster they may not be the best choice for me as you say! I will investigate further closer to the time [:p] maybe look at some Toyos or something...
I'm good ta mate. will drop you a text about an rr session soon.

Yeah, the eagle F1's do feel soft as you touch them and they do wear out relatively quickly, so for you, i'd steer clear of them. The michelin pilot sports were supposed to be quite bad (pretty hard wearing though) but, apparently, they have had a bit of a revamp and the newer versions are a lot better. Apparently ! can't say I know that myself, but that's what i've heard and read a few times now. I've got some Toyo Proxes T1S's waiting to go on my audi fat fives, once I've got the coilovers on..

I can thoroughly recommend www.mytyres.net for tyres mate.. very good prices. or I think www.blackcircles.co.uk have a fitting place down near eurocanterbury.. yep.. there is three fitting places shown on their. Nearest to you is on broad oak road.. so right next to eurocanterbury, I would think !

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
SportContact 2s are alright and last a fair time (came with my 18s on the GTI), however once you get into about half worn, you do start to notice a grip fade (as I am at the moment, nearly stacked the blighter last Wednesday night!!), which isn't ideal.

What mileage you running per annum Neo?? I'm running for about 18k atm.

C

·
Registered
554 Posts
SportContact 2s are alright and last a fair time (came with my 18s on the GTI), however once you get into about half worn, you do start to notice a grip fade (as I am at the moment, nearly stacked the blighter last Wednesday night!!), which isn't ideal.

C
I only cover about 9k a year and also have Conti II, I think they are ok but will be doing a 'back to front' soon as I plan on changing the whole set for GSD III, love the levels of grip they provided on both my previous cars and from a 'sad' perspective loved the tread pattern which always seems to make the wheels look 'wider'. What sort of mileage are you guys getting from a set of fronts ?

·
Registered
471 Posts

C
Covering about 24k miles a year, so a fair amount. My poor GTI's already covered almost 26k.
The Kumho's are wearing well, been some slight wheelspin where there wasn't recently (but this is undoubtedly due to rainfall and me, erm, wearing the tyres a bit more than I usually do!). I'll probably get another set of these once I've worn these through, though I'm going to get the Michelins that the R32 has put onto my 18" Monza IIs in a couple of weeks... and undoubtedly I'll have a chance before long to be running on the 18"s for awhile (maybe just as a change [:p]) so I'll have a chance to decide on that well before my Kumhos will need replacing.
I've done maybe 7-8k on the Kumhos thus far, so perhaps leading into half of their life.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Decided to stick with continentals as only changing the front two. ?125 each fitted, so they're not best cheap but probably look to change all 4 when these go in around 13k, like the present ones.

Hopefully I'll now have a little more traction in the snow as I got absolutely nowhere the other day. Nearly ended up wishing I had my trusty old 306 DTurbo an absolute stormer of a car in the snow.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
my fronts are down to about 3-4 mm ( one is probably 3 mm max ) so need changing kinda soon. The car has done 16K. Dunno why the front's wear much quicker [:p][*-)]. The rears have about 5-6 mm. They are Dunlop SP Sport 01 225/45/ZR17 and replacement for 4 is ?450-ish.

Or I can go for RS4 upgrade at ?515 with Kumho 712s or ?575 with Avon ZZ3s

Then i'd need to sell my Indis - PM me if you are interested

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yup, SportContact 2 here as well, 225/45 R17 on my MkIV. Totally ridiculous cornering grip compared to EcoContact CP on factory steelies but now clocked almost 13K and the fronts are looking quite worn, and the grip has faded - pushes wide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.