Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 170 GT MKV, it came with Bridgstone 225/45/17 Tyres. I've just covered 6000 miles and they are knackered. They have worn perfectly even, but are now down to the height bars. I don't do alot of town driving, or lock to lock parking, I don't tend to turn the wheel whilst stationary. Infact I haven't changed my driving style at all. On my previous car, GT-TDI with 205/55/16 I was getting over 20k out of the front tyres Michelin Pilots.

My question is, do "45s" wear out so much quicker than "55s" or is just Bridgstones are a softer compound or something. I mean 14 thousand mile difference seems alot to me. Or is it a combination of going from 130bhp to 170bhp and the bigger lower profile tyres.

Cheers.

Rob.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, my GTi had the same Bridgestones, and was doing about 16Kmiles on a set of fronts, 25Kmiles on the rears. I have now replaced all four Bridgestone tyres with Vredestein Ultrac's which turn in much nicer, and give more grip in the wet & snow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, my GTi had the same Bridgestones, and was doing about 16Kmiles on a set of fronts, 25Kmiles on the rears. I have now replaced all four Bridgestone tyres with Vredestein Ultrac's which turn in much nicer, and give more grip in the wet & snow.
Cheers Peter, that's still 10K more than mine have done. I should be able to squeeze a few K more out these, but I won't get much more than that. The rear Michelin Pilots on my MKIV done 40K. The rear Bridgstones on this car still look like new, no problem with them yet.

I was thinking I might put the rears on the front, kill them off, then go for the Michelins or something again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had the car from new, doesn't sound a lot to me, I'm on 7k and still more than half the tread left.
Hiya,

I've had it from 1,800 miles. It was the demonstrator car at Abridge VW in Essex. I'm sure they wouldn't have swapped a pair of tyres , would they [*-)] ???

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Have you had the car from new, doesn't sound a lot to me, I'm on 7k and still more than half the tread left.
Hiya,

I've had it from 1,800 miles. It was the demonstrator car at Abridge VW in Essex. I'm sure they wouldn't have swapped a pair of tyres , would they [*-)] ???
I wouldn't have thought so, but wondered if the car had been driven hard for the first 1800 miles, as it was a demo car.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i have been told that bridgestone are a soft compound tyre, i never use to get that many miles when I had them on my Volvo T4

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
my front Dunlops ( 17s ) last 15500 miles. So far, the 2nd set have done 14000 miles. The rears are still OK at 29500 miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I guess thats a possibility, and as I'm loving the power compared to my 130, I guess I'm a bit right footed too. But 6K and they've had it, I honestly don't think they will make 10K, I'll be lucky to get 8K out of them.

I'm definatley going to put them on the back, so I can get 4 new different brand tyres on it asap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah right, I thought that must be a contributy factor, along with the other stuff I mentioned.

Cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mate, I see from your signature you've got 184bhp [H] is that from what you have described on the left, a 75ps S ? Wow.

Cheers for the info, I'd be happy with 15K out of the tyres too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi

I have covered 47k klm on conti still have 3mm left will replace with same again. I suppose the dsg and traction stops excess wear.

cheers

fred

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi Mate, I see from your signature you've got 184bhp [H] is that from what you have described on the left, a 75ps S ? Wow.

Cheers for the info, I'd be happy with 15K out of the tyres too.
The reference to 75PS S is actually a manifestation of Damian's sense of humour!

·
Registered
894 Posts
hi

I have covered 47k klm on conti still have 3mm left will replace with same again. I suppose the dsg and traction stops excess wear.

cheers

fred
Welcome fredgti .

Have you really done 29,000 miles (47K kilometres) on the same front tyres in your GTI & still have 3mm left ?

Must be a world record.

Whats your secret ? [:(]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I own a 2005 MkV 1.9 TDI running 205/50 16's and get approx 26,000 miles from the fron and about 50,000 from the rear.

Most of my driving is motorway though as I work in Watford and live in Reading.

I am however a Sunday driver and like to watch the world go by rather than race past.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi, I own a 2005 MkV 1.9 TDI running 205/50 16's and get approx 26,000 miles from the front and about 50,000 from the rear.

Most of my driving is motorway though as I work in Watford and live in Reading.

I am however a Sunday driver and like to watch the world go by rather than race past.

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

Similar mileage to me though I got 65k out of my rears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME,

TYRES HAVE ONLY BEEN SWAPED FRONT TO REAR ONCE JUST HAD IT SECOND SERVICE AND GARAGE INFORMED ME THAT 3MM LEFT. I COVER 600KLM EACH WEEK 300K COUNTRY BLAST GOOD ROADS AVE 120KLM SPEED AND 300KLM AROUND CITY. THE DSG AND TRACTION MEANS YOU CAN PUT THE FOOT DOWN HARD WITHOUT WHEELSPIN. THE CAR HAS NEVER FAILED ONLY SEAT BASE HAS BEEN REPLACED UNDER WARRENTY WE ONLY GET 2 YEARS WARRENTY IN IRELAND .

REGARDS

FRED

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for that Fred,

( just a small point, you're probably not aware, being new to the forum, but using all capitals is seen as shouting & is harder to read )

Keep posting.[Y]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
8k miles , front swapped to rears at 5k, 3 "outings" and my Conti's are looking very good!

Can't believe those Bridgestones would die after 6k miles.

I had them on my Scooby for 15k miles which included some very enthusiastic driving lets say and they were still ok. A bit buggered but still had some life left in them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts