Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to do nearly 50k on the golf and only had to buy 2 new tyres in all that time but now need two more.

I had been sticking ot the standard Bridgestones but they are pricey and wondered if there are any options that you have tried and liked. I was thinking maybe Eagle F1's or maybe Continental's as I have them on my 306 rallye ans have been quite impressed with them in the wet.

Not interested in yoko's as I find they tend to be hopeless in the wet from my experience so looking for a good all round tyre with good wear rate and not too pricey[:D]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Had Michelins on previous Gti and have got them on the 4mo, but will try the Eagle F1's next due to the amount of recommendations on this site!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1's (GSD3) get my vote.

I tried Mitchelin Pilots but found the compound too hard leaving me very little grip when looning around bends and roundabouts!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Gary is right, the Goodyears are good but i've got Toyos Proxes and they are superb. Cheaper than the Eagles too [:)]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had heard about the toyo's but thought the prices were a bit cheap so was expecting the quality to be compromised in some way, perhaps they wear out quicker??

Thinking of trying the Eagles and online prices of about ?70 a tyre seems cheaper than what I paid for the Bridgestones. I'll try MSW in Glasgow as they give me a discount as I'm in another club and I've been using them for years. Really depends whether its a tyre they stock or not as to how much cheaper they are. Plus they NEVER damage the wheel which some companies just find impossible not to do for some reason!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Falken FK 415's (or 451's[:D]) can't quite remember if I got the part number right way round!!! but they are excellent grip, value and look!!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Had 225/40/18 F1's on my 1.4 and I know there was never much power going thru them, but they were spot.

Have 3 225/45/17 on the TDI now and they are also as good - Obviously I have no experience of any other tyres on a Golf, but as they say - If it's not broke, don't fix it!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Quote: posted by chesney on 18/12/2004 10:13:04

Had heard about the toyo's but thought the prices were a bit cheap so was expecting the quality to be compromised in some way, perhaps they wear out quicker??

They are very long lasting, one of the many good points

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
[hijack]

Quote: posted by chesney on 17/12/2004 13:06:39

Managed to do nearly 50k on the golf and only had to buy 2 new tyres

I know they are lovely cars... but that is way over the odds... is it gold plated??!! You'd think they would have chucked you in a years worth of tyres for it!! [:D][:eek:)][:I][B)]

[/hijack]

Seriously though, with regard to tyres, I know there are better tyres, and if money was no object it would be michelin pilot sports for me all the way (Probably exaltos) but I have to be frugal, and for me, the falkens have proved to be a good compromise of price with good wear/grip etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by evilhomer on 18/12/2004 15:24:48

[hijack]

Quote: posted by chesney on 17/12/2004 13:06:39

Managed to do nearly 50k on the golf and only had to buy 2 new tyres

I know they are lovely cars... but that is way over the odds... is it gold plated??!! You'd think they would have chucked you in a years worth of tyres for it!! [:D][:eek:)][:I][B)]

Well most of the miles were cruising on the motorway and a trip to the Alps and back plus I did a fair bit of wheel swapping to get the most from them, oh and I forgot to mention that I have used the spare too[:O] So really its 3 tyres[:I]

Saw these Toyo's for ?56 and I know my local dealer can discount these as they are a supplier for them so I may ask about them for a comparison. Not got as good a review in the wet as the goodyears though and its wet roads we have more often than not so that is a priority for me[:(]

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've tried both Toyo Proxes and Eagle F1s.

I definately prefer the Toyos. With the F1s I got understeer a few times on corners in the wet. The Toyos grip much better in the wet. Better price too and they look good (probably not the most important thing in a tyre).

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've just ordered two Eagle F1 GSD3's after considerable thought[:p]

Got them from mytyres online for ?70 each which seemed a good price. Can get them fitted locally for about ?10 so not too bad[:D]

Found out through a dealer that there are a new type of toyo's out called T1-R which are meant to be the next up from T1-S with the improvements being in the life expectancy. He said he has been impressed with them as he has them on his car and rekons for the money they are the best tyre available but has yet to prove they last longer than the S's which he thought wore out quickly if you are a keen driver[}:)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts