Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please advise as to what the tyre pressure should be for 18" RS8's with a 225/40/18 tyre on them, i was recommended that the pressure be 30PSI but when parking the car (half on kerb and half off) the side of the car that's on road the tyres look like they're flat, is this purely because of the weight of the car or because the tyre pressure is too low?? Any advice would be welcomed, thanks...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would put some more in mate as i have 19s and am running 35-36 psi as instructed by my local tyre place as i had to have my previous tyres replaced as i ran them with 30 in for bout 12 months and the side walls started to seperate from the main tread and was told that i had been running them under inflated so if i was you i would go up to around 32-33 psi

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice1, thanks for that mate, thought the tyres looked a bit low and deflated. Just didn't wanna over fill them more then they needed, surely there should be a website or a table somewhere that would show you tyre pressures for tyres of a certain size??

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
hi mate,

i was having same problems but i know a real good tyre fitter and he said 32 psi all round is ideal.. i felt the ride was too harsh on the back however so he told me to run 30 on the backs but if i had a few people or a heavy load the pump it back up to 32.. but 32 is perfect normally.. hope that helps..

adz

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
As above I run 32 in the fronts and 30 in the rears.

Used to run 32 in the rears too but find it grips and feels better with 30 in them. When towing my trailer or carrying heavy loads I up the rears to 32 though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I run those tyre sizes on my anniversary 18" BBS, and the fuel filler cap says to run them at 2.1 Bar 31.5psi front and 1.9bar 29.5psi at the back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I run those tyre sizes on my anniversary 18" BBS, and the fuel filler cap says to run them at 2.1 Bar 31.5psi front and 1.9bar 29.5psi at the back.
That's what my cap says on my 2000 AGU (for 205 55 16's)!!!

VW obviously 'missed' that minor detail!!! [;)]

·
Registered
167 Posts
i know its an old thread but hey ho. i was just reading through and noticed (obv)that everyone is running an avg of 32 psi but my golf with a8 reps 225 40 R18 is dangerous at this pressure - back end feels like its stepping out on all corners no matter how small so am running at 22psi atm but is this right?? i was driving a corsa before with 165 65 R13 with 30psi so was just wondering whether im just being soft or not

·
Registered
167 Posts
erm i believe the two rear are dunlops so is one of the front but unsure on the pedigree of the forth. both got 4-5mm of tread. sticks to the road like a train to rails at the moment though so..............

·
Registered
421 Posts
22psi is WAY too low. you are at risk of it popping off the rim at such low pressures. it could be stepping out because of your beam bushes or something. Best to get it checked out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i knew i was in danger of 'popping off' seen it happen n it aint pretty. checked the beam bushes but spot on. im a mechanic myself but never realy dealt with low profiles before. did think possibility of wheel bearings as had a focus spin out because of trashed osr bearing but mine are a1. checked everything and can't find anything wrong lol. guess i am being soft lol. any one know what markings tell me where my wheels came from. cheers jonny

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
other reasons for stepping out could be:

hard suspension/bushes

tyres

btw im also running 32

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Im running 35-36psi, even better economy and car feels abit more nimble. It's never lost grip either, mind you the A4 is heavier

1 - 19 of 19 Posts