Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the correct tyre pressure for my 2.0TDI on 17" Estorils? The fronts yesterday were 15 psi and 22psi (a little flat!). The digital inflator at the garage inflated them to 26 psi each. Is this ok and what should the rears be? The manual has no referance to this that I could find.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Whats the correct tyre pressure for my 2.0TDI on 17" Estorils? The fronts yesterday were 15 psi and 22psi (a little flat!). The digital inflator at the garage inflated them to 26 psi each. Is this ok and what should the rears be? The manual has no referance to this that I could find.
Does that model have low tyre pressure warning?

Mine has come on twice and was the tyre I suspected both times, the pressure is on the inside of the fuel filler cover, I would suspect it shoud be 2.0-2.2 bar , also depends on vehicle loads.

I fthey are all the same I wouldn't worry too much as it is probably correct, digital, analogue , or garage airlines, it is difficult to know which guage is calibrated correctly, I have a digital one from halfrauds and it under reads compared to the fuel station units.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Mine has come on twice and was the tyre I suspected both times, the pressure is on the inside of the fuel filler cover, I would suspect it shoud be 2.0-2.2 bar , also depends on vehicle loads.

I fthey are all the same I wouldn't worry too much as it is probably correct, digital, analogue , or garage airlines, it is difficult to know which guage is calibrated correctly, I have a digital one from halfrauds and it under reads compared to the fuel station units.
Halfrauds? Who they? Is this a typographical error? Is it another chain of stores I've not heard of? If not, then don't you mean Halfords? Why demean them so - have they cheated you in some way?

I think that calling them by that name could be libellous although I'm no lawyer of course.

Same argument as Dealers .v. Stealers which some contributors keep referring to. I would have thought that the moderators would have picked up people on this verbal abuse by now.

[A]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi all

I had a problem with two of my tyres on Mk V 1.9 TDi. They kept going down, but not continuously(sp). I went to a tyre place I know well and they said that sometimes the VAG dust caps can leak air ( I believe they are the ones that you dont have to remove to put air in). Anyway they changed them for normal ones and the tyres are now fine. So if you have the original dust caps and have air leak issues, try changing them for normal ones.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year

Steve

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hi all

I had a problem with two of my tyres on Mk V 1.9 TDi. They kept going down, but not continuously(sp). I went to a tyre place I know well and they said that sometimes the VAG dust caps can leak air ( I believe they are the ones that you dont have to remove to put air in). Anyway they changed them for normal ones and the tyres are now fine. So if you have the original dust caps and have air leak issues, try changing them for normal ones.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year

Steve
Yer but. No but! Surely the cap should not matter if the Schrader valve is in good condition and not leaking. Their basic function is to keep dust at bay and secondarily to keep pressure should the valve be at fault?

[H]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hello ShiftyDriver,

The tyre pressures on the label on the filler cap will be for the wheel/tyre combination that the car was originally supplied with when new.

As for the pressure displays at garages, digital or analogue, they are woefully inaccruate and I never trust them.

Handheld pressure gauges are inexpensive - I have a digital one from Halfords at approximately ?12 - and are quick and easy to use. A handheld is highly recommended.

As the rubber is the only thing that is contact with the road, a weekly pressure and condition check of my tyres is something I'm quite pernickity about.

HTH

P.S. A quick note about the Halfords handheld pressure gauge: it displays in PSI only and the pressures quoted on the filler cap are in bar, so a little conversion is required.

·
Registered
894 Posts
As already said never trust the read out from garage forecourt airlines...

Halfords also do a hand held pistol grip guage which you can switch from Bar to PSI readings.

Its well made, has a red LED read-out & comes in a lined tin storage case.

Very pleased with mine but more expensive at ?19.95 but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As already said never trust the read out from garage forecourt airlines...

Halfords also do a hand held pistol grip guage which you can switch from Bar to PSI readings.

Its well made, has a red LED read-out & comes in a lined tin storage case.

Very pleased with mine but more expensive at ?19.95 but worth it IMO.
Might not be able to get it now but Robert Dyas were doing a Draper typre pressure guage from ?19.99 to ?9.99. Worth asking, this one also has a red display and a blue pistol grip - maybe Draper make it for Halfords, 9.99 its a steal if its still there!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ok, but is the pressure stated on the inside of the filler cap for the standard 16" alloysand tyres, or the optional 17" tyres on the Estorils?
This has still not been answered yet. My car is retro-fitted with Estorils too. Can someone with them (or even a different design of 17" wheel) please tell us what is printed on the presuure info sticker on their car?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The cold pressures on my Factory fit 17s are 2.3 bar fornt & back for 2 people and a little luggage & 2.5 bar at the front and 3.0bar at the back fully laidened. Hope this answers the question.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Halfrauds? Who they? Is this a typographical error? Is it another chain of stores I've not heard of? If not, then don't you mean Halfords? Why demean them so - have they cheated you in some way?

I think that calling them by that name could be libellous although I'm no lawyer of course.

Same argument as Dealers .v. Stealers which some contributors keep referring to. I would have thought that the moderators would have picked up people on this verbal abuse by now.

[A]
Mate,

Your having a laugh aren't you? People are entitled to call them whatever they like. The name's for both are very apt!

J.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mate,

Your having a laugh aren't you? People are entitled to call them whatever they like. The name's for both are very apt!

J.
He most certainly is not. People are not entitled to call a company 'anything they want' on a public forum as issues concerning libel could be far reaching. I would suggest the practice is ended as soon as possible unless someone provides proof that they have been defrauded by Halfords and consequently the modifcation of the company name to highlight their alleged criminal status is truthful.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

[A]
Lighten up Marvin,anyone would think you had a vested interest in either.[:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts