Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:(]Hello all,

Just had two tyres fitted by a friend, and although i made it perfectly clear i didn't want the wheels marking both wheels have come back marked[:mad:], i'm absolutely gutted, how hard can it be to change a tyre!!! My mate was very apologetic and said they struggled to get the tryes over as there low profile!! and the jaws had slipped on both the wheels on the inside taking off the paint and putting four gouges into the back of each wheel, also one has come back marked on the front face to. Why didn't they stop after they had marked the first one of them?

The wheels are montreals with standard size tyres which, i would have thought wouldn't be to much of a problem, i have had a previous experiance with a national tyre company, and my brother worked for kwik fit for a while and know first hand the monkeys these places employ. So am double gutted and now twice as paranoid where i take my car.

How do people go on here getting tyres changed, from what i've read on here and my own and mates experiances this is a common thing. Seems a bit daft to go to someone like awesome gti for a tyre change, but is that the only way to find a skilled mechanic who care's about the standard of his work.

I think the only way now to get it put right would be have the four wheels restored, i've got no come backs with "my mate". Or buy another set, unless someone off here can tell me another way.

If anyone has a set of monty's there looking at selling for reasonable money i'd be most intrested.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got a top man that does my tyres. My best mate is a tyre fitter and fellow uk-mkivs member and VW enthusiast who takes top care with my wheels.

Sorry to hear about yours getting damaged, but would have thought that changing the tyres would be a doddle to someone who knows what they are doing, as they are only 16" which are a pretty common size.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
One of mine and sonnys mates has opened a tyre garage up and his tyre fitting machine is a bit state of the art as its the only one in our area which can handle wheels up to 26" lol and it is a nice machine to watch whilst its in operation.. he has not once kerbed our wheels as hes very cautious of what he does as he sells alloys also, he likes them looking in mint condition.. and he only charges a fiver for fitting and balancing...

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I always make sure I'm present when I have tyres fitted to my wheels.

If they insist I sit in the waiting room I insist they hand the wheels
and tyres back because I'm not having some greased up retard attack my
mirror polished TT comps and then saying "the damage was already
there guv".

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that last time when a got caught out with a puncture, i made the manager check the wheel before he started and he brought it back an i checked it, he looked at me like i was simple, but they know, he offered to fit it for me, i refused and went and fitted it myself in the car park, he got all his monkeys together and gave me a round of appluse as i left, guess he'd never seen a car leave his place with a straight sill!!!

I choose my mate cos i thought he'd have more sense, but hey! If they haven't got the right tools for the job they should say so.

And i thought i was being a geek worrying about fitting a standard tyre size.

I hate curbed alloys, i think i says allot about someones driving style, i bought a mk2 16v a few years back, it was 10 years old, one owner, and not one of the bbs alloy's were marked, excet when some numbty had stook weights on the outside!!! My cars 5 years old and 3 of the wheels are marked and none of them are my fault. Really annoying

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Its hard for a customer to lurk about in a garage as they are not insured to be in there, i get them lurking round cars i work on but hey! i just say you have to stand the other side of the garage door you are not insured, its annoying otherwise , its not like im going to do anything differant on his car if hes standing there.As i work top whatever the sinario. But i guess if it was my pride and joy being worked on id like to be there.

I guess the only thing you can do, is take a picture on your camera/ phone just before you hand over keys and check afterwards, make sure you tell the lads you have done so. Im lucky as im in the trade the place i take mine to let me help out and i ensure everything is done top notch!

He might be your mate, but he damaged your alloys and id get him to pay for a refurb, dont hold anything against him, at the end of the day you should have ensured he was capable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apperciate what your sayin mate, but short of going to his work shop and inspecting his equipment before he started, and give him a interview to see if he's capable what can i do? I asked him and made it prefectly clear the wheels wern't to be marked, he said his machine was state of the art and it wouldn't be a problem, now he's told me he was using masking tape on the jaws!!!!!!! Surely a mechanic worth his money would know how soft ally is.

As for holding it against him if he's stopped after the first one a said a can't do this i've marked one, then fair enough but to carry on and mark them both!!! I'll not let him near my motor again.

Your right i could push it and get him to refurb the wheels, but he'll hold that against me, cos it won't be cheap. I apperciate he tried his best but it's just so annoying when the mistakes he's made are so basic.

And are you really suprised that people want to watch there cars? with all the nightmare's you hear about? Some, very few, mechanics are good and intrested in there job, but i feel allot of them have no idea or intrest in there job.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
... some greased up retard ...
Hope thats not a generalisation of all tyre fitters mate lol.
Wanna hear some of my experiences?

One numpty tried jacking on my beetle sill. It's not a load bearing point and the jack would have gone through the floor.

So, I told him to jack on the axle.

"Is this bolt ok to jack on?"

What a d**k. He was trying to jack on the adjuster.

Then there is the obsession with air tools. No respecting tyre company should use these 'tools' to do up wheels.

Then there was the guy who was fitting the tyres to my newly refurbed
and polished TT comps. I was standing there watching him work -
like a hawk - he knew how much they were worth and what I'd just had
done and yet he still asked me:

" Do you want bang on weights or stick on?"

Retards, yes I'm sorry to say in most cases. Sure there are the guys who respect the cars they work on and take care of them.

Then there are the guys who I saw smacking a mallet onto the inside of a customers wheel in order to get it off as it was stuck.

One retard under neath on his side swinging the mallet at the tyre (he
also missed once and hit the rim - big bang) while the other made swung
off the wheel.

This was while my TT wheels were being sorted and the customer was sat in the waiting room.

I stand by my comment I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well depends what kinda mallet he was using, I for one know it is a pain when a car comes in with alloys stuck to the hub, if the cars on a ramp i ninja kick it off with someone there holding/catching it. If im on axel stands which is very rare then the only way is to knock if off using the inside rim (as the tyre will absorb the motion) But i use a plank of soft wood or a rubber mallet,

I dont cause any damage to any wheels but if there was an outstanding set of unmarked wheels id take a differant way round it (without using the wood.)

At the end of the day, owners of cars should know how to remove and lube up hubs as basics. As i believe as part of your driving test now you have to answer questions on basic underbonnet parts locations and what they do.

Regarding your wheels, should never have mates when you are doing business. Treat it like he was a normal tyre fitter that damaged your wheels, and just be mates outside business. Were you charged for fitting?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well depends what kinda mallet he was using,
By the twang that came off the wheel - it was a metal mallet.

I for one know it is a pain when a car comes in with alloys
stuck to the hub, if the cars on a ramp i ninja kick it off with
someone there holding/catching it.
Then I'm happy to say you will never work on my car.

What wrong with respecting other people's property - in most cases
their pride and joy - and rocking the wheel off like I do when taking
my own wheels off?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He asked for a tenner! i was still in shock at the time and thinking go on give him a bollocking, whilst the other half of me was thinking its a mate and he's tried his best. told him i had no change. But after a litle think he can whistle for his money.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Lol, when I hear talk of 'tools' and 'tyre fitters' in the same thread I associate the two...

No disrespect to those good and consciencious tyre fitters out there, but its one of those trades that has far to may tools working in it, who arent trained and frankly dont care most of the time.

I have had one 'big respected' tyre fitting company jack up my old Astra not on a jacking point, but the floorpan. Result = football sized lump under the drivers mat. Their fix = kick it back down and hope I didnt see...Outcome = Split floorpan seam, lots of shouting, threatening letters and compensation, and lots of slagging off...

Would I have noticed if I wasnt watching. Doubt it until later. Moral of the story, dont let the car out of your sight, ever, unless you know and trust those whom are working on it.

As for damaging 16" Montreals, no excuse. They arent that big and they are working with big sidewalls ie 50/55mm. I could understand if they were trying to squeeze 245/35s onto a 19" chromes without the correct machine to do alloys that big, but not on 16" Montys..

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Some places are also lazy and will only use a single jack at the rear - right in the middle of the torsion beam if that's what you have! [:O]

I had a numpty smack one of my wheels off with a mallet for a puncture repair and this is what he did:

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well depends what kinda mallet he was using,
By the twang that came off the wheel - it was a metal mallet.

I for one know it is a pain when a car comes in with alloys stuck to the hub, if the cars on a ramp i ninja kick it off with someone there holding/catching it.
Then I'm happy to say you will never work on my car.

What wrong with respecting other people's property - in most cases their pride and joy - and rocking the wheel off like I do when taking my own wheels off?
Ok , have you experianced a wheel that cannot be thumped off side to side? What do you do then? Give up and put the bolts back in probably..Obv i hit it side to side i.e 9 o clock + 3 o clock repeatedly , then 12 + 6 and 9 times out of 10 it`ll slowly rock off..If you have an old car , not looked after,the only answer is to knock it off like i explained before.

Are you a mechanic by the way? or have experiance with other peoples cars? Or you just judging the way i work in an expert enviroment.

By the way, if i kick a wheel off using the rubber of my shoe what harm is that causing? If i make any mucky marks i clean it off.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
This is what one monkey managed for me when removing the old tyre;

Posted Image

He was looking for ?5 for his troubles, I just gave him a tip he nor the waiting customers were expecting [:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ok , have you experianced a wheel that cannot be thumped off side to
side? What do you do then? Give up and put the bolts back in
probably..Obv i hit it side to side i.e 9 o clock + 3 o clock
repeatedly , then 12 + 6 and 9 times out of 10 it`ll slowly rock
off..If you have an old car , not looked after,the only answer is to
knock it off like i explained before.
What you aren't understanding here is the idea that 'ninja kicking' a customers property is neither professional nor the right thing to do.

Or does your company not supply you with the correct tools or training to remove a stuck wheel?

Are you a mechanic by the way? or have experiance with other peoples
cars? Or you just judging the way i work in an expert enviroment.
No, I'm a Mechanical Engineer, Quality Engineer in the Aerospace industry to be exact, but that is beside the point.

Use the correct tools for the job. If it's stuck then use a rubber
faced mallet that you know is controllable and will not cause any
damage to you or the wheel.

I emphasise rubber, shuiming and myself have had experience with the run-of-the-mill mallet.

By the way, if i kick a wheel off using the rubber of my shoe what
harm is that causing? If i make any mucky marks i clean it off.
Round of applause.

1: In this day and age (rightly or wrongly) H&S might not see that in such a good light

2: That is the sort of attitude that will keep you at Kwick Fit or whatever Joe Public tyre place you work at.

Take some pride in your work and respect other peoples property and you will go further.

I'm sorry if I have struck a nerve but I'm sick of 'mechanics' taking
the p*ss with customers cars. There is enough evidence in the above
posts to see why I would never leave my car un-attended.

The only decent experience I have had is at ATS when having my tracking checked.

The guys treated my car with the upmost respect, told me what they were
gonna do and how and took the time to make sure my car got on the ramp
without damage. They then took me round the car showing me what they
were looking for.

Then, when no adjustment was needed they charged nothing. I even posted this on here because I was amazed.

Unfortunately ATS won't fit tyres they haven't sold so I had to find another place that would.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I appreciate what you are saying and im in no means trying to stir anything or cause anything between us. Just merely a conversation. [:)]

No mechanic nowadays can follow H+S to the maximum, everybody slips up. I.e every time you open a bonnet you are meant to put wing covers on, now do you do that when you top up your washer bottle?

I can see how the so called ninja kicking can be seen unprofessional but i dont see it as wrong ,not because im a "bodger" but the fact as it does not harm anything., i choose this way over my rubber mallet anytime and i will carry on to, this is how i was taught by experts in the trade with 30 + years of experiance. Btw i dont work at a tyre fitting place and i always take pride in work as i see it as a hobby also.

I guess we will agree to disagree but please dont think im some bodget and legitt person as im far from it.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm glad we can see (kind of) eye to eye [:)]

Notice I said 'rightly or wrongly' with regards to H&S involvement.
I know as well as the next person that they cause so much grief it is
untrue but sometimes it's for the best.

No way can I say that I'm an H&S Saint though [:D]

[Y]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.