25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[poll]

It's on the increase, no doubt about it, countless threads on here
cropping up now and its really starting to get on my wick! I think its
lazy, hard to read and just plain daft.

Is it becoming
socially acceptable to use, as it seems more and more people these days
are using it. I'll freely admit to using it on mobile phones... but on t'internet! Never.

What
gets me is give the person a pen and paper, would they write in text
speak? Probably not, so how does the use of a keyboard change their use
of language.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Petty I know, but I don't use it on texts either. I really do find it more difficult to read and assume others will too!

I had an application form recently for a post I advertised and it came back filled in (badly) with 80% "txt spk". I didn't invite him for an interview....

Do you not think that in a few years it'll just become acceptable?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thinking a little more about this - realised there's a section in the forum rules about creative spelling:

Please try to practise general netiquette. What does this mean? Well
not writing your posts or their subjects ALL IN CAPITALS. This is not
only annoying, but it makes you look like you've got some kind of anger
management problem. Also practice good English, and refrain from using
?txt? speak. You're using a keyboard to type with, not a mobile phone key pad.
We've never had to enforce this but I can see a point coming where it will become an issue...

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Petty I know, but I don't use it on texts either. I really do find it more difficult to read and assume others will too!

I had an application form recently for a post I advertised and it came back filled in (badly) with 80% "txt spk". I didn't invite him for an interview....

Do you not think that in a few years it'll just become acceptable?
I dearly hope not - some say the English language is changing but I fee like its being eroded away, slowly but surely.

I'm concerned its making this forum sometimes hard to read - and the information base it represents is being damaged as a result.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Personally I can't stand the txt spk either lyk [;)]

It makes the individual creating the post appear as a bit of a dim wit. Bad spelling and grammar I ignore, as even I'm not great with general grammar, but the txt speak is plain awful.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Strange to think that it would become the accepted way of communicating. I openly admit to using some abreviations in text, however, only if the total number of characters exceeds the limit for 1 message. Hahaha, Im tight... so I go back and shorten some of the words, but only VERY obvious things... Its quicker to text using predictive if you ask me.

Things like 'dats' and 'cuz' really get on my nerves. They are more about trying to be cool rather than shortening ... the first one is on letter shorter thant Thats and just put 'cos and I dont think many people will have an issue?

If you ask me though, with all the european laws of human rights and freedom to express opinions etc the do-gooders will state a case for this rediculous way of communicating to become accepable. HOWEVER, surely it will have to be standardized first because there are so many variations of words. Its like aplpying for a job with your C.V written in german or spanish and just assuming the person can read what you are saying... clearly its an issue that needs to be resolved by the government. The fundamentals must start in the Education system Mr Blair can be so proud of [:^)]

Get him out and lets get back to Mrs Thatchers ways hahaha

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I dont understand why people do it using a keyboard. I find it easier and quicker to type the whole word out than i do to keep abreviating.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strange to think that it would become the accepted way of communicating. I openly admit to using some abreviations in text, however, only if the total number of characters exceeds the limit for 1 message. Hahaha, Im tight... so I go back and shorten some of the words, but only VERY obvious things... Its quicker to text using predictive if you ask me.

Things like 'dats' and 'cuz' really get on my nerves. They are more about trying to be cool rather than shortening ... the first one is on letter shorter thant Thats and just put 'cos and I dont think many people will have an issue?
I'm the same, text messages cost me 10p a go, so it's prudent to be economical with your words!

Shortening words with apostrophes isn't of the same ilk if you ask me - it actually make for a more readable experience, as it can sometimes be used to convey a regional twang in a good way [Y]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i use a little when i txt on my phone but that is it. and yes sometimes i accidently slip some into this forum but its just a case of missing a G of theend of a word nothing major. it really enoys me and the other forum i go on.they have banned it and will have a moan/edit your post if you use it.

my mates mom is a high school teacher andshe was telling me hoe sometimes she will be reading through there work and they are spelling things in the so called txt language she then asks them about it and they think thats how to spell things.its like its taking over peoples heads ands pushing good old queens english out of there heads. thats really bad.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It really does annoy me, such as on myspace, when i see people of my own age writing like retards. Thing is, the people who write in txt spk often their grammar and English is really poor anyway, so i think theres a link between people who write in txt spk and people who generally find it hard to string a sentence together. I do it on my mobile as much as the next man, which is acceptible, as you said it saves money!

But to do it typing on a keyboard is just retarded. As i said, i've done so many essays/coursework/ etc thats typed in my time i am a really fast typer and just find it quicker just to type proper sentences out than keep abreviating.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
U iz just not down wit da kidz innit.?

Text speak on forums makes me wish there was a device that allows you to punch people in the head through your screen.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i voted doesn't bother me, sometimes its easy to read and i dont have a problem with it.

there are some words which i can't understand but generally im fine with it.

i once saw a paragraph in which i think the first letter was swapped with the end letter in everyword and apparently the human brain doesnt read the whole word and can easily recognise all the words. so it this must mean that 'txt talk' can possible be translated with ease

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I will not even so much as bother scanning something on here in text speak - I don't want to waste my time on illiterates. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Sure, it's less formal on here, so you type how you talk - this allows for an accent or personality to be conveyed, but I don't know anyone who speaks in such a lazy and incomprehensible manner to justify writing in that crap.... I group them with the idiots who are unable to articulate their thoughts and will just resort to using their fists out of frustration.

You can't even argue that it's faster to type, as anyone who can touch type knows it's really hard to mis-spell something that has a natural keystroke... surely you'd be all pointy fingers plonking away like a child?<o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i voted doesn't bother me, sometimes its easy to read and i dont have a problem with it.

there are some words which i can't understand but generally im fine with it.

i once saw a paragraph in which i think the first letter was swapped
with the end letter in everyword and apparently the human brain doesnt
read the whole word and can easily recognise all the words. so it this
must mean that 'txt talk' can possible be translated with ease
I remember, that was on an email which got banded around a while back. It proved that the human brain only looks at the letters in the middle of a word, and starting and ending letters are filtered out so the word is correctly understood.

While thats interesting to note, I don't think it extends to txt spk, where words are broken down into their phonetic sounding contruction and shortened for some god knows reason....

I find it difficult to read - whereas the above mentioned study had no mental impact on my tiny little mind!

1 - 20 of 164 Posts