Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is coming to an end, I've finally got around to powering up my nearside rear fog light. It's quite an easy job, but just to encourage the less adventurous, a brief "how to" with pictures.

All the parts you need are a bulb, which is a 12v 21w, the same as the indicators etc. and a piece of 5 Amp wire, long enough to go between the 2 lamp units, with one of these on each end.

Posted Image

Take out both bulb holders from the back of the lamps and you will see that the nearside one already has a position for a fog light bulb. This picture shows the back of the holder and you can see that there is a bayonet connector just next to the bulb position. It's the one at the bottom.

Posted Image

This is where the new power wire will connect from the off side. This picture shows the off side bulb holder with the new wire attached to the corresponding position.

Posted Image

I took out the trim panel across the bottom of the hatch, but it was a real fiddle to get back, so you might prefer to just tuck the wire away, under the edge. The only other problem I had was getting the off side bulb holder out and then back in. I think there must be a knack to this, but I managed.

I think it looks a lot more sensible with two fog lights, and they will be a more effective deterent when I'm being blinded from behind!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some of the older model have the wiring for the other side already.

I know my 01 Bora has it. and my 98 Golf used to have it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Mine has too....... the previous owner had 2 bulbs in too. I removed the other bulb when i changed my clusters over.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wiring, as such, isn't there on mine, but BeepBeep has a neater way of doing this. See "Fog Lamp Safety Issue" in this section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The pictures you talk about are not displaying. Can you fix them so that I can see them please.

Ta.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I decided to do this mod slightly differently after finding out that the cable for the other side runs past this lamp anyway. It took about 5 mins in total and the light works fine.

Use a small length of wire (20 cm should be plenty) and crimp a small female spade connector on the end. Locate the wiring loom which runs just underneath the passenger side lamp and find the grey wire with white stripe on it. This is the wire which runs over to the other side to power that fog lamp.

Posted Image

Attach the other end of the small wire to this at a convienient point using either a blue scotch connector or use another method such as soldering.

Posted Image

Plug the spade into the rear of the lamp as shown in the picture and place a bulb in the holder inside the cluster.

Try the lamps by turning the s elector switch up front and pull out till the rear lamps lite.

A simple mod completed in only a few minutes and for less than a pound!

HTH

allmond10.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures working again. (Village photos messing about.) If I was doing it again I'd do it allmond10's way! Much neater and you don't have to remove the trim panel. Worth doing either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to both talk-torque and allmond10 for their instructions.

I eventually went for allmond10's way as it did seem easier, and it did take only 5 mins.

Thanks again guys!

[:D]

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Just thought I'd give this topic a gentle little bump because following the instructions here (taking the short route) I've done this mod. It took me 10 minutes to do both cars!! well worth it, so easy and looks proper now! Everybody should try this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've not looked at my Golf, but I had a passat years ago that also had the wire in place, but to save cost (I assume) VW had not plated the nearside foglight refector in the light cluster so it was never as bright as the other. I would go and look now but I've had a few too many and it's cold and wet outside...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry, am new to this sorta thing, so just wanted to clarify:

1) Find the grey/white wire behind the passenger-side light in the loom of cables.

2) Using a scotch-lock connector, splice another wire into this and connect it to the positive for the fog.

That simple?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My Passat was easy to mod. Just made the hole bigger to the left cluster for the bulb as the wiring was already there.[:D]

You need 2 bulbs so that the person behind you with his front fogs blazing on a clear day (probably driving a Vectra) gets his retina's burned with your fogs in return [^]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops, I think that's my first double post - always wondered how they happened! [:I] Must get those pictures re-hosted too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts