Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car from a dealer in Walsall (Walsall Motors ltd) in early November.

The car looked alright for the price, few scratches and things but no major mechanical issues. I agreed to buy it, and was about to hand the cash over. It was advertised as having tax and MOT. I asked to see the documents for it, and he "couldn't find" the MOT certificate. I held on to my money, and said i wanted to have the MOT certificate in front of me. After a few phone calls and a lot of messing about it turned out that the garage had "forgotten" to retest the vehicle after a previous test. I waited whilst they got the car tested, and it passed with a seized handbrake cable, worn strut top mount, a leaking exhaust.. and the airbag light was on.

On the way back to the garage i asked where the tax disc was.. guess what.. no tax! They also pulled over for me to put some fuel in the car, as he was worried it was going to run out.

With the full years MOT in my hand i gave him the money and drove away.. I started to regret my purchase on the way home [:S]

Anyway, since then i've been relatively happy with it. I've sorted out the handbrake, given it a full service (which it needed) and done a few other little things to generally tidy everything up.

Two months later and i still don't have the registration document. Yesterday i got a letter from the DVLA telling me i needed to get a vehicle identity check (VIC) done on the car, and they wouldn't give me a registration document until it's completed. This means it's been written off, and could be a stolen/cut and shut vehicle.

I have since done a mycarcheck thing.. and it says it was a Cat C write off, registered in December 2009. I believe that I was then the next registered owner.. and so it's up to me to get the VIC test done to confirm the cars identity (to my expense).

I did check the registration document to see if it was recorded as being written off, but didn't do an online check or anything. I assumed that if it was written off, it would be on the registration document. The dealer didn't tell me about any of this.

I figure the best possible outcome of this is that i'll end up with a cat C car that i paid way too much for, and had to pay 40 quid to get checked over. The worst case is that it's been a bodged repair, or worse, stolen. Then i think the police will want it.

I've written to "consumer direct", they deal with what trading standards used to deal with apparently, and i'm waiting for their reply!

I'm considering getting it properly checked out by a garage now.. as i'm worried about it being a botched repair job..

Anyone else had a similar experience, and what was the outcome? Pretty worried and angry about it at the moment..

This is their website.. http://www.walsallmotorsltd.co.uk i've been going through some of the cars they have for sale and entering them into the DVLA car check website. The golfs they have for sale all come up as.. registered without V5C document. Surely this suggests they are all accident damaged too?

G

·
First my hubby new of his car being deemed a 'Cat C' was when we failed to recieve the tax disc reminder V11 through the post. Thinking it was lost over Xmas, I tried to buy the disc online, to be declined. After phoning DVLA we were informed 'the insurance company deem your car to be Cat C damaged and you will need a VIC'.We had never heard of it, the car had a minor rear-end shunt and was repaired by the insurance company, who it seems have failed to tell us, the owner, the car needs checking over at a cost of £40 and at a distant location which means a morning off work to get there. Not impressed!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Have you given the dealer the opourtunity to resolve the problems? i.e. have you been back and spoken to them?

As a dealer the goods they supply (car) need to be fit for purpose, in this case its seems they were not. Go back to them and ask them to either resolve the issues to your satisfaction or give you your money back. Do not take any bull like "sold as seen" as that only really applies in a private sale.

·
German Engineering at its Best
682 Posts
Probably need to check the car has been repaired to a roadworthy condition I guess.

Jon
in a vic they dont realy pay much attention to the quality of the repair. all they do is check that the vin numbers scatterd around the car all match up and if its obvious that it had large parts of the body-structure replaced they want to see receipts for the parts.

i do take quite a few cars for vic tests as jig work and structural repair is part of what i do.

JJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a lot to do with cat C and D accident repairs with work. The VIC check only checks the engine and chassis numbers to make sure everything matches up at DVLA. They do not even check the quality of the repairs.

You can take the car to a company (I will find you the name) that will fully check the quality of the repair and remove the cat C markings from the cars history if it is within certain quality standards.

Last VIC I had done, £40 and 15 minutes. Job done. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I don't want to try and get a refund for the car, as i've spent quite a bit on it, i'd still be out of pocket. If it fails the VIC, it'll be another matter though!

I get the impression that if i phoned the dealer up they'd be pretty horrible about it... He seemed pretty pissed off that i made him spend two hours MOTing the car before i bought it, and wasn't very friendly in general [:(]

I'm getting some tyres fitted tomorrow, so i'll ask the garage to have a look underneath, just to see if there's anything obviously wrong.

I'll look at getting it checked out properly after the test.

I suppose the most likely outcome is that it'll be fine (as in, not a stolen car), and i've just been sold a cat c car without being told.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont think the Cat C can ever be removed from a cars history. Did you pay well under the book price for it?
No. I paid more like dealer prices for it..

1600 quid for a 1999 110 tdi bora on 125k miles.

Bodywork ok, few dents and stuff, and the interior was really rough, lots of broken and missing things.

Spent a few hundred quid sorting interior and mechanical niggles [:(]

Car would probably go for less than a grand privately.. especially cat c.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a chat with consumer direct.

They said if the car fails the VIC, or turns out to be "unfit for purpose" then it will be a criminal matter and there will be a claim against the garage.

They also said there would only be a claim regarding the car being a cat c if they didn't mention it and they knew about it. I told them about the other cars they have which are dodgey on the dvla website and they're passing the information on to trading standards.

I have to wait until after the VIC to see if further action is needed.

It sounded like i could claim the car was overpriced, and claim some money back, but i'd need to get a valuation for the car. Might be interesting seeing as i've changed a few things..

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
i think this could be a situation were it turns out to be not so bad,

if the car isnt a ringer then lets look at the facts

car was bought for ?1600 and has 125k on the clock,

now to make it an insurance write off it needs to be

an unecconomical repair, so basically its too costly to repair, ins companys usually go to 70% of the value...so call it ?1000

so to write a bora off it only takes a few parts to do so,

say a rear bumper and back panel, or a front bumper and a couple of headlights

just because its recorded does not mean your driving round in a cut and shut. while what the dealer did was pretty dodgy

if you need any one to look at it and do a report, we will gladly help

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think this could be a situation were it turns out to be not so bad,
if the car isnt a ringer then lets look at the facts
car was bought for £1600 and has 125k on the clock,
now to make it an insurance write off it needs to be
an unecconomical repair, so basically its too costly to repair, ins companys usually go to 70% of the value...so call it £1000
so to write a bora off it only takes a few parts to do so,
say a rear bumper and back panel, or a front bumper and a couple of headlights
just because its recorded does not mean your driving round in a cut and shut. while what the dealer did was pretty dodgy

if you need any one to look at it and do a report, we will gladly help
Thanks for your reply.
I think i'm just getting a bit worked up about it. The lady at VOSA said it's most likely to pass the VIC, and that very few cars fail it.
I would quite like to get the car looked at by someone. The airbag light has been on since i bought the car, and i'm thinking that might be related somehow. I've been meaning to get VW to scan it, just not got around to it yet. Shame this has come up after i've just spent all the money i earnt over christmas on the car!

What kind of price am i looking at to get a report done?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
tbh, the air bag light is on 40% of vw i see, they have a few faults with the seats and it can happen, if you push the seat too far back,

we can do the report f.o.c for you bud, its nothing legal any way but it will put your mind at ease which is the main thing, as trying to go back the the seller often fails anyway,

there is a vic check in chadderton about 15 minutes from us.

·
Registered
214 Posts
just had a quick look at companies house website as i work there and hear of things like this all the time ..

for a start the company number ,registered country and number is not on the site which is needed to comply with the companies act.

looked on the database and walsall motors ltd no longer exists it changed its name to JAITONE LIMITED and that was later dissolved on the 7th of december 2010 ...

that may be of some interest to comsumer direct...

this may make it difficult to do anything with the company as legally it no longer exists ...all the best tho im sure comsumer direct should be able to do something atleast,

chris,

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just had a quick look at companies house website as i work there and hear of things like this all the time ..

for a start the company number ,registered country and number is not on the site which is needed to comply with the companies act.

looked on the database and walsall motors ltd no longer exists it changed its name to JAITONE LIMITED and that was later dissolved on the 7th of december 2010 ...

that may be of some interest to comsumer direct...

this may make it difficult to do anything with the company as legally it no longer exists ...all the best tho im sure comsumer direct should be able to do something atleast,

chris,
Just had a look myself. Very dodgey...

I've heard about people swapping companies between family members to prevent it from being shut down, is this a similar idea?

I'll phone consumer direct up tomorrow and see what they say. I find it pretty unbelievable that this kind of stuff is possible.. there seems to be such little regulation on the sale of potentially life threatening goods..

Thanks for the heads up, i'll post up what they say on the phone tomorrow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
they call them pheonix companies ...

they pop up , trade for the first year but dont file ..as they dont file after a year companies house strike them off as they are non compliant and all they do is start up new a company and do it all over again..and as soon as the first company is gone all debts die with the company and its doesnt exist therfore they get away with it ,

the biggest problem is theres nothing in the act that says they cant open and close companies left, right and centre so they play the system,

let me know how you get on..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they call them pheonix companies ...

they pop up , trade for the first year but dont file ..as they dont file after a year companies house strike them off as they are non compliant and all they do is start up new a company and do it all over again..and as soon as the first company is gone all debts die with the company and its doesnt exist therfore they get away with it ,

the biggest problem is theres nothing in the act that says they cant open and close companies left, right and centre so they play the system,

let me know how you get on..
So nobody's accountable for the debt? Sound really stupid [:(]

I wonder what name they're trading under now..

I heard of a local takeaway that i think did the same thing.. kept on changing hands of the business between family members until eventually they got shut down for illegally employing people or something..

Does trading standards act against the company or the individuals behind the companies?

Someone should do something about this! [:S]

·
Registered
214 Posts
the problem with a company is its limited liability so its the company itslef that is liable and not the directors personally ..so affectively once the company is dissolved thats it ..all assets are frozen(if any) and debt cant be recovered due to the fact the company no longer exists

it is possibe to get the directors prosecuted but its hard to prove that they have acted illegally ....in this case consumer direct may be able to do so ..and its easy to find out who the directors are as its all public information..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what i saw on the website three of the directors were.. german. They didn't look or sound very german to me..

I'll phone up consumer direct tomorrow and let you know what they say! Even if i'm just adding to a file in trading standards i guess it's better than nothing..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts