Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for some winter fun the other day with the GTI, turned ESP off and did some hand break turns and long sideway slides. To my surprise I could feel the ABS working when the car was sliding side ways, even through the ESP was off (icon in dash was on). So it seams like even though you switch the ESP off, it does not completely go off. I guess this is some kind of safety feature or something.

My previous car (Volvo V70) had the same "feature", but if you pressed the DSTC button 5 times it switched the traction control totally off. Anybody know if the ESP can be totally disabled on the golf?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I can confirm that pressing the button once will not totally disable the ESP.  I assume VAG-COM can do it, but have not investigated further. 

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's a legal liability issue; I am told that the latest Bosch ESP does not fully switch off from the drivers switch - it will always intervene if it thinks you are going to crash. However, the exact situation will depend upon which version of ESP is fitted to a particular car. ESP can be fully disabled using dealer tools, and probably VAG-COM.

Car software / control systems are becoming so complex nowadays that I would like to see a more open policy, where manufacturers declare which electronic systems & versions are installed for each model year. I mean, you would not buy a PC if the dealer could not tell you beforehand whether it has Windows 2000 or XP installed, would you? - when buying a vehicle, knowledge of the exact capabilities of the safety related systems such as ABS, ESP, BAS etc etc etc might sway a decision one way or another.

In fact, here is a question: does the GTi has Brake-Assist (BAS) - I braked hard the other day, and I swear the car braked for me, ie: BAS, but this was not listed as a feature of the car - or is it?

·
Registered
591 Posts
In fact, here is a question: does the GTi has Brake-Assist (BAS) - I braked hard the other day, and I swear the car braked for me, ie: BAS, but this was not listed as a feature of the car - or is it?
My understanding is that all Mk V's have Brake Assist (Not sure that VW call it that but it is mentioned in the manual - in the same section where they describe the ESP system).

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
471 Posts
The GTI does have brake assist, it mentions it in the manual. It works well too - I was on a wet road heading down a hill yesterday at about 45mph when the idiot in front of me just stopped in the middle of the road. I had to hit the brakes hard, and the car just "stopped" - it was really interesting (if mildly terrifying) to see just how well the GTI can brake when the computer takes over. I'm certain I would've hit the other guy if I was in any other car.

As it happens the guy in front of me was turning into his driveway - but with no indicators or anything, he just braked and stopped in the middle of the road and was completely unaware of other road traffic. Really stupid, and extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
70 Posts
All the mark 4 Golf and Bora had a brake assist system fitted from model year 03 onwards too.

Manufacturers fit ESP with no limited override because there are no conditions within type approval when it would be safer to turn it off. Product liability law - derived from the sales and supply of goods act - requires a product to be safe.

By the way, the electronic safety systems on the markV includes:

• Brake Assist
  • ABS
  • ASR traction control (reduces power to front wheels when they spin)
  • EDL traction control (brakes a spinning wheel at speeds up to 25mph)
  • MSR traction control (adds power if excess engine braking causes wheel locking)
  • ESP Electronic Stabilisation Control
  • LDE Low Dynamic ESP which intervenes sooner and less intrusively to prevent major ESP corrections (GTI only)
  • ESBS Electronic Stability Braking System is like a passive ESP system distributing the braking effect for best stability
  • EBD Electronic Brake pressure distribution reduces brake pressure on the rear wheels to prevent locking
  • HVV Rear full axle deceleration which puts the rear wheels into ABS control when the front wheels are

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • Brake Assist
  • ABS
  • MSR traction control (adds power if excess engine braking causes wheel locking)
  • LDE Low Dynamic ESP which intervenes sooner and less intrusively to prevent major ESP corrections (GTI only)
  • ESBS Electronic Stability Braking System is like a passive ESP system distributing the braking effect for best stability
  • EBD Electronic Brake pressure distribution reduces brake pressure on the rear wheels to prevent locking
  • HVV Rear full axle deceleration which puts the rear wheels into ABS control when the front wheels are
WOW!

·
Registered
94 Posts
  • Brake Assist
  • ABS

Good grief my car is an acronym-fest!.....

It is a minor shame however that with all these electronics systems and it is still no good in snow! - has anyone else been similarly shocked by the lack of grip when driving a GTi on snow... last time I drove mine on a fresh snow, I ended up pulling over to let people pass me... just couldn't make progress.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Indeed. Big fat tyres like the GTi uses are simply hopeless in snow. My wife's Polo on 165/70 R15's was just fine during the recent snow, but the Golf .... jeez... after the last drive home in snow, I'm actually planning to work from home next time it's that bad, weather-wise. I'm on 17"s.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Four space-saver tyres would probably be more effective!!![;)]
I am sure that I read that one should turn off ESP when doing certain manoeuvres in the snow/ice?

·
Registered
70 Posts
In the bookback you are advised to turn off the ESP if you are likely to get stuck - e.g. mud, snow and when using chains. This is because ESP includes ASR traction control which cuts power when the wheels spin, not because the ESP is ineffective in these conditions.

My approach is to leave the ESP on unless stuck.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi all
just to throw a spanner in the works mine is an early 2001 model and has the BAS fitted and only found out when i nearly put it up a TREE and then the car started to brake on it?s own as it was dark and i could see the brake lights reflecting on the road signs behind me.
THANK GOD FOR (BAS)[:p]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all
just to throw a spanner in the works mine is an early 2001 model and has the BAS fitted and only found out when i nearly put it up a TREE and then the car started to brake on it?s own as it was dark and i could see the brake lights reflecting on the road signs behind me.
THANK GOD FOR (BAS)[:p]
I'm not sure that BAS is what you are describing though. Is your car fitted with ESP? I ask because BAS only works when you apply the brake pedal firmly and quickly which then causes the vacuum capsule to give full assistance.

I don't understand how otherwise the brakes would be applied - unless you have a guardian angel of course!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
yes it is fitted with ESP
who knows i was in a bit of a panick at the time but all i can rember is the brake lights and i was still on the GAS thinking this is it
and then it seemed to just slow down get it?s self together and go round the corner[:D]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that that may be your answer rather than BAS. ESP does intervene in a big way on the MKIV system and will brake up to all 4 wheels and cut all throttle to restore stability and traction. So if you were steering away from the tree, with your foot on the gas it would all stack up that the ESP was doing the work. No wonder that ESP helps reduce losing control of the car in 80% of critical driving situations (quote; head of reserch Volkswagen A.G.) and helps to avoids 50% of accidents in the first place (quote: Renault FR).

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Thats good

where i used to live in Germany we had some real hard snow in the winter and i was always out messing around and unlike the mkV when i turn the ESP off the ABS does not cut in at all
not sure why could it be because it is a diffrent standard to uk modles???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts