Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've seen this post and your post about the N75. I'm not convinced the N75 is the problem. I know you have Revo but have the settings being changed and do you know what engine code you have? Also any other mods?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is in relation to another problem that REVO have told me needs the boost turned down. Mods on my car are a Forge DV, REVO Tuning and a scorpion back box

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine code is ARZ , this other problem is a slight crackling noise for a few seconds upon hard acceleration, REVO told me it was a timing problem and the boost just needs turning down.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That helps a bit more. ARZ is a bit of rare engine, DBW but the small K03 turbo. You car is SPS3 compatible but the K03 can't take as much boost. The boost and timing are changed with an SPS3 you either need one yourself, meet up with someone who has one or goto a Revo dealer. If you need to turn the boost down the N75J will make the matter worse as it increases boost.

What exactly are the symptoms of your problems and do you know what settings have been used on your Revo?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea what the setting have been set too. The problems are the crackling descrbed as above but the main problem is the car at around 80 mph very rough ride here is what ive posted about that problem on vwvortex:

Hi

On my mk4 golf gti turbo im getting what i descibe as a bow wave effect. When flooring the car at certain points in the rev range and at high speeds the car ride is very choppy and rough feeling as if some force is pushing against the car. The best way to describe this effect is its as if you are at the bow of a boat and you can feel the waves hitting the boat providing waves of resistance.

Ive heard that the new renault Laguna suffers from this problem and in there case it is linked to a cracked intercooler. Could this be the same problem causing my car to have this effect. The effect was also greatly increased when i added a induction kit to the car, i dont know what significance this has.

Has anyone had this problem if so what was the cause ? Any input guys ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
First place I would check is all of the boost pipes including the smaller control ones that go to the dv and N75.

I would then make sure that the Revo code is running in it's stock settings (in performance mode), your dealer can do that either with a switch or using the Revo program cable. Then it would be a case of some diagnostic logging to see what is happening in the datablocks at the time of the problem.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Revo have already check all pipes all connections ! this problem has been going on for a few months now Ive drove around thrashing the car with the VAG COM in it no fault codes nothing ! its a total enigma !

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It's not just a matter of checking fault codes but also taking logs of the MAF, Timing Retard, Knock Sensors etc..

Do you mind saying which Revo dealer it is?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In blaydon newcastle Just Diesals its called but they do other cars too. My car is stumping him totally its been ran through loads and loads of checks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well im getting a new air induction kit in on thursday that made the problem much worse last time so easier for the garage to do work on it as before the main problem only appears at 85/95 mph and there isnt much room to get that round where the Revo dealer is. I want it fixed for sure no matter what the cost, i might as well fit that N75 valve as well as i have paid for it now and when the problem is finally fixed everthing will be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The guys are very busy at Revo HQ but it might be worth seeing if they can help or even suggest what your local dealer should log to assist in diagnosing the problem.

I take it that the car runs OK if it is switched back to stock ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
i also have engine code ARZ running revo with SPS3. I have run it a relatively very high boost since i've had it done and had no problems. I figure if my turbo blows then i'll just get a better one (pretty narrow minded but true![:p]).i run mine on timing 5 with unleaded and 6 with optimax

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope i originally noticed the problem before i had it revo'd i removed my Viper air induction kit at the time and the problem disappeared so i thought it was the pipercross piece of junk, but now it has resurfaced.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
As was suggested earlier, maybe get some vag-com logs of boost, temp and timing so that you can see what is happening as you're driving. They say the boost is too high but based on what? Do you or they have any boost figures at different points in the rev range? Would be useful to know how much boost there is and what they think it should be reduced to. Can you describe the noise it makes in more detail? What about the DV? Is that definitely OK?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The DV isnt the problem ive tried 3 different performance ones on the car. The noise is a crackling thats it not much more i can say, doesnt seem related to the rough ride i get at 80 to me it almost sounds like the turbo is running with no air in it when i crackles, well at least thats what id imagine it to sound like. I dont have boost figures as of yet although i do have boost guage pods in the house waiting to go in, plus ill get the revo dealer to check it out. I was getting a Boost Pressure exceeded error code a while back but that was fixed after a cracked pipe was found and replaced. I also have a slightly higher air temp althought the revo dealer told me this wasnt really causing a problem.

Just had this message related to the crackling in another forum didnt really understand it:

"Detonation definitely sounds like crackling. But I've never heard it on a 1.8t. I guess my 3" TB covers it up for some reason."

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sorry mate, can't think of anything else to suggest other than getting some vag-com logs to see what is going on. It's frustrating I know, I've also got a noise under acceleration that only started a month or two ago. At first I thought it was pinking but now it sounds more like a leak near the exhaust manifold. Still haven't managed to find out what it is or to sort it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts