Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was my valve stem seals but a local garage got me thinking again. I don't get any blue smoke on start-up, I don't get any on boost, in fact I rarely get any blue smoke - maybe see it once every 2 weeks if that, but it's definately using oil, the oil drops from max to min mark on the dipstick in about 1100 miles, but some of this could be collecing into the catch tank I have as vapours. The only time I might get blue smoke is when I'm rolling downhill say in 4th and I drop a gear and keep rolling and keep dropping a gear (very long hill) and at the bottom of the hill I'm back on the throttle and I get a puff of blue only for that moment.

I done a compression test before and all cylinders were reading spot on, think it was 12.6-12.8 bars across all cylinders, not bad for a car going on 120k miles [H]. Turbo seemed to perform fine producing 221 bhp at stage 1 and no weird noises but the local garage has suggested the problem isn't my valve stem seals but my oil seals in the turbo. Just curious to know if anyone had a similar problem before?

ps. seems if it is indeed the turbo oil seals going then I have myself a legitimate reason now to finall go for a hybrid ko3s - can only hope [:)]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Alright mate this is exactly what mine does.... Did changing the valve stem seals sort it.... It also does it if I'm idling whilst the engines hot for like over 15 minutes cheers chris

·
Retired
1,224 Posts
Mine was doing this too until I had it serviced towards the end of last year, AMD told me it might be my turbo oil seal as they couldn't find a plausible reason for the missing oil, no visible leaks, no smoke etc. Engine was running fine!

I did, however have a new MAF, new plugs & coils put in. I'm guessing they had bits off and put them back on too but I'm no longer losing oil! [:)]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah this is what I thought also I checked my throttle body hose first an it's bone dry.... Nothing at all..
I can see the smoke easily on mine when it does it just looking in my rear view... Normal
Journey with no traffic and I get no smoke at all.....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Hi if the turbo oil seal has gone you will find ALOT of oil in the turbo and intercooler pipe work. worth a check
what about in the exhaust?

whip the downpipe of and check the downpipe and also put your finger in the turbo (exhaust turbine) check for oil, this is how my turbo started when it was on its way to the graveyard.

worth a check and also as above

you will always find some oil in the intercooler system.

danny

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would say it's piston ring's mate.I am a fitter and on overrun down hill if you throttle on at the bottom and you get a cloud of blue smoke it's piston rings, hope this help's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts