Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive just recently purchased my GTI 1.8T and been in the process of sorting all the little niggly things out. Now i havnt actually driven the car yet as im not insured but my brother in law drove it and felt that it was not as fast as it should be (i thought it was quick but hey i just come from a 1.4 polo). It feels as if the turbo is kicking in quite late, around 40thousand RPM.

This is quite worrying as ive only just got her! What could it be guys?

Thanks for your help YOGi

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Possible that the DV (diverter Valve) is bust and not holding boost.. either replace with a stock one or an uprated Forge DV.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh right ok, i thought the DVwould make a fluttering noise if it was work? I thought it could have something to do with the MAF or even a pipe somewhere[?]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Is it a 150 or a 180hp GTI you have ?

In my opinion they are a totally different sort of drive to what i expected it terms of pull you back into the seat factor.Very smooth delivery of power.The turbos are quite small so spin up very quickly and you dont notice much kick as such until the valves open up around 4000 revs.

Your best bet would probably be to get another 1.8T owner to drive it for you and see what they think.

Hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As soon as bloody possibly mate!!! Got exams up until tuesday so hope to have her ready by next week. Think im gonna go ahead and change the MAF.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Give the connectors for the maf plug and the maf itself a clean first with a pen knife and the ignition amp (sits on the side of the airbox)connectors too.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Mo on 13/01/2005 11:41:30

Give the connectors for the maf plug and the maf itself a clean first with a pen knife and the ignition amp (sits on the side of the airbox)connectors too.

Note though that the ignition amp is only on the early non-DBW (or throttle cable) AGU engine. Easiest way to check is if you see a real throttle cable it is an early AGU and so will have the ignition amp on the back of the airbox (when viewed from the front of the car).

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um mine's a 51 plate with an AUM Engine i believe. What does that mean, does it make a difference?

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hey Yogi, ive also got a AUM engine golf, and live in edmonton, i think your about 100 miles away!!!!![;)] i could come and have a look if you want!, the AUM engine has drive by wire, you can check this by leaving the car in neutral and holding the revs at 2000k then pressing the brakle pedal, the revs should drop back to idle , even though you havnt let go of the accelerator pedal, its also got variable valve timing, and if im not mistaken a KO3s turbo.

Zak

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Zak your probably just round the corner from me, im in enfield used to go to edmonton county. Youve got some SERIOUS mods on your golf man, its looking sweet. Im suprised i havnt seen your car around before.

Thanks for your offer, the cars gonna be at a garage for a couple of days and it will definatly be sorted by next week. We should meet up for a cruise or sumin man.

YOGi

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
definately, but the pic in the sig is what my car will look like in April, more than half my mods are sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Y0Gi on 13/01/2005 11:20:34

Ahh right ok, i thought the DVwould make a fluttering noise if it was work? I thought it could have something to do with the MAF or even a pipe somewhere[?]

Your quite correct there. It would (most likely, someone correct me if i'm wrong [:D]) make that fluttering noise.. mine did. my misfire was cured by the vw assistance tech bloke cleaning the contacts on the ignition amp.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by hornetrider on 13/01/2005 14:26:55

It feels as if the turbo is kicking in quite late, around 40thousand RPM

WOW, that IS late!!

[;)]

[:I] oops

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was planning to change the DV and put some Samco hosing in the summer when i get her REVO'd. Is it worth doing all this now along with the MAF in order to ensure shes running ok?

May just see if the MAF sorts out the problem.

YOGI

1 - 20 of 25 Posts