Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

As you may have seen in an older thread, I have not long since had my golf and am having issues.

Its a 1999 GTTDI 110 with an ARL conversion.

It seems to be overboosting and goes into limp mode after some WOT in 5th/6th.

Here is some data from a 3rd gear run today at WOT (Attached).

Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Your turbo vanes are sticking. The car goes into limp mode to protect the turbo from imploding. Get the turbo Innotec cleaned. I did mine 2 years ago and she is still pulling strong (195bhp / 295lb/ft torque)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that :(. Not to sure when Innotec open again so I can order a kit. It also intermittently squeals (some have described it as air passing past a reed) when the turbo first starts spooling up. Possible crack/leak in and EGR pipe? Had a look and cannot see any soot around any of the pipes, or could that be down to the turbo been full of junk to?

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
Also look through this one

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/394072.aspx

I used innotec on mine a few weeks back, and after splitting the turbo today it hadn't done much really. It didn't touch the rear face where the vanes are at all.

If you look at Madmans build thread he recently used Mr Muscle oven cleaner instead of Innotec, the Americans over on Tdi club really rate it [y]

There is a link to the thread about the oven cleaner in that link I posted ^^^

Neil

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Also look through this one

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/394072.aspx

I used innotec on mine a few weeks back, and after splitting the turbo today it hadn't done much really. It didn't touch the rear face where the vanes are at all.

If you look at Madmans build thread he recently used Mr Muscle oven cleaner instead of Innotec, the Americans over on Tdi club really rate it

There is a link to the thread about the oven cleaner in that link I posted ^^^

Neil
Neil

As you stated on another thread, you've maybe been unlucky and got a duff can of Innotec. Mine was done 2 years ago and is still going strong with 146k miles on the clock. Anyway, main thing is you've got yours sorted[Y]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

Innotec cleaned my turbo today, and its worked well :).

But it has now shown up a boost leak in the turbo to IC pipe, but the pipe was a bit dodgey anyhow.

Thanks again folks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts