Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there sorry bout this but i just want ur opinion on something, i have a 51 plate gt tdi 130bhp and las nite wen i went over 80 the turbo went dead and the car was like a normal diesel!! with no extra power!! was working fine again the next day but wen i go over 80mph it dies agen! u got any ideas? wot it cud b or how 2 resolve the matter? PLZ HELP!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sounds like an engine sensor is putting the car into limp mode over 80 mph.  Does the engine check light come on ?  If it doesn't then it could possibly be the MAF sensor on the air intake.  I've had it happen on an A4 TDI I've had.  You'll find it's a common problem with the Bosch sensors.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Craig_GSI and myself have a similar issue to this with a 110TDI where it goes into limp mode if you're pushing hard!

Do you feel the sudden loss of power once hitting 80mph and then acceleration from say 60-80 is crap until you switch the engine off and back on?

If it is, it could be a boost valve or the turbo vanes level needs lubricating. If not, it could be a MAF.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for ur opinions guys am taking it for a service soon c what happens after that! wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
it could also be caused by overboosting, common cause is a leaking intercooler pipe or sticking vanes in the turbo

·
Registered
43 Posts
I get this aswell when pushing hard.  Does it return to normal if you restart the engine, as it does on mine?  I've been told it may be the boost valve?  Had a new MAF sensor put in but it's made no difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've recently posted for the same thing http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/420389/ShowPost.aspx

There are a lot of posts for TDI's with the same problem. It seems if you buy a tdi you will get this at some point. Mine has been to the dealers on VAGVOM and the two sensors(one was a temp sensor not sure what the other was) they replaced didn't make a difference. There seems to be various reasons \ fixes out there, would like to hear from anyone who has successfully sorted this.

I have heard that the map sensor rather than the maf sensor is a common one. Not sure if as mine has a map sensor it's a 2001 GT Tdi110 which i understand is non PD. Any one know ?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not sure if as mine has a map sensor it's a 2001 GT Tdi110 which i understand is non PD. Any one know ?
When a guy was sorting me out a MAF for my car, he thought I said MAP sensor and that was what he ordered in so the part exists for my car. My car is a 110 TDi too, so I reckon yours will have a MAP sensor too.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've used vagcom to adjust the amount of fuel injected and I've not had any issues at the mo - going to up the amount of fuel again after a week if I get nothing but that would suggest it's the fuel sender!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Is the car remapped?  If it's becomes a persistent problem then the fuelling will need to be reduced.  Does the car produce excessive black soot, the trademark of overfuelling?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
no black smoke from my car, either before or after the change in injection amount

I have noticed it feels like the power comes on smoother and surges less since making the change.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Went for a couple of blasts today to test it out, still go into limp mode when pushed hard, starting to suspect the intake manifold being clogged, the turbo variable vane or the N75J that operate it still.

D0h! I was thinking about getting a PD130/150 turbo for the car so might have to bring that forward, maybe look at stripping the intake as well although I've never done this and am a bit weary about doing it!

Saying that, I was weary about doing window regs the first time around and got there in the end with those!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im still having the same problems with mine when pushing hard the turbo just dies, still cant put my finger on what it could be!! its realy getting to me now! need to get it sorted. how do u use vagcom to adjust the the fuel sender ?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mine was fine once the intake manifold and the variable vanes on the was cleaned out. Had a mate help me out on it during his weekends.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i agree with the sticking vanes on the turbo or like someone said could be overboosting. i had a leak in my system and everytime you boot it, it would go into limp mode. you notice and hissing noises at all?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts